Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg Weekend Getaway

2»

Comments

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    The CI Potato setter is pure brilliant!  Usually my woo is enough for raised direct and I do not worry about a shield but that will do!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Awesome pics and post
    Seattle, WA
  • Outstanding as usual.  Nice job.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    SoCalTim said:
    I think in all time I've been here on this forum, this has to be my absolute favorite posting.

Thanks Tim for the comment. It was a fun trip and you've reminded me that I'm past due on another getaway with an Egg or two!
    allsid said:
    The CI Potato setter is pure brilliant!  Usually my woo is enough for raised direct and I do not worry about a shield but that will do!

Thanks! I don't know about brilliant but I thought it was a good idea and as I like to tell my wife, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while." :D
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice work with your small! Love the Potato setter B-). Gorgeous mountainous view. Spectacular. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    What an awesome getaway. First time seeing this thread for me. Originally posted before I joined the forum. Glad it got bumped up. @R2Egg2Q‌ , I'm looking forward to seeing pics from your next getaway. Think it'll happen this summer???
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • @SoCalTim thanks for the bump on this thread! This is awesome. The food looks great, the scenery looks great and the timing is impeccable. I just took the plunge yesterday and ordered my small. I was feeling good about this purchase but this sealed the deal for sure! Beautiful work @R2Egg2Q.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Awesome bump! I hadn't seen the post either. I like your choice of getaways, @R2Egg2Q‌ ! Food and scenery are spectacular.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    What an Awesome post..Loved all the cooks and that plate with the Tri and tatty was fantastic..Thanks for sharing.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @R2Egg2Q‌ ... Can you tell me about your setup? I'd like to duplicate what you got. The thought of being able to do potatoes while doing a tri tip at the same time sounds great. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    stemc33 said:
    What an awesome getaway. First time seeing this thread for me. Originally posted before I joined the forum. Glad it got bumped up. @R2Egg2Q‌ , I'm looking forward to seeing pics from your next getaway. Think it'll happen this summer???
    Thanks! Unfortunately, it probably won't be this summer but maybe I can work out something for the fall.
    SoCalTim said:
    @R2Egg2Q‌ ... Can you tell me about your setup? I'd like to duplicate what you got. The thought of being able to do potatoes while doing a tri tip at the same time sounds great. Tim

The set up on the tri tip and potatoes cook was a BGE Cast Iron grid (part #13CI) topped with a Small Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/products/Small-Woo-Ring.html) with the stock cooking grid on top (my Small is a few years old and came with a porcelain coated grid). The Woo's come with handles now but mine was purchased before they had handles. If you want to do wok cooks on the Woo the handles can limit the space for a wok and you might want to request one without handles. If you won't wok on on your Small you'll probably benefit from the handles. For most indirect cooks I normally put a 10" ceramic stone on the Woo. The "potato setter" was a way for me to cook potatoes and go indirect.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Solid cook all around. Excellent pictures as well. Looks like y'all had a great time my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    @R2Egg2Q‌ I totally didn't catch the date on the OP. Lol. Good eye there @stemc33‌
    Nonetheless it's timeless just like the mountains. I too look forward to more of these :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I hiked 50 miles in Lassen as a boy scout, great part of the state. Great looking cooks too.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    In honor of Labor Day (the last 'hurrah' of summer) and for anyone going away this weekend, I'd like to bump up this post (my all-time favorite posting on this forum) for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I wanna go here, I absolutely love not only the cook, but the visuals posted here.

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.