Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bratwurst Burgers

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Look at that!! Three food posts in three days by me!! Can you believe it? I know, I've been slacking of late, but this should put me back in y'alls good graces for awhile. :D

When I make my own sausage, occasionally I end up having a blowout when twisting them into links. Sometimes, I restuff them, sometimes I just add it to the remains from the bottom of the sausage hopper. You know...the very last bit that the stuffer just won't push out into links? Anyway, while cleaning out the freezer this weekend, I came across about a pound of bulk (unstuffed) bratwurst. Why not make some bratwurst burgers? Onto the Egg around 500-515ish. Can't remember the last time I actually did a cook at the original cooking level.

I also found some pretzel buns in the bakery section of my grocery store. Never ha a  pretzel bun, but it sounds like it would go hand in hand with a bratwurst burger. Both kinda Germanish, right?

And to top it off? How about some spicy brown mustard and some sauerkraut? And a side of more pretzels!! :)) Honestly, I wasn't very hungry but figured I needed something to throw on the side.

Was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. I kinda wish I would have picked up some kind of cheese to put on it, but I couldn't decide what cheese would really work with it. The buns were different. Sweeter than what I was expecting. More substantial/denser than a regular burger? Not sure if I would bother with them again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Wow that looks amazing. =P~
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome.  The only thing missing (for me) is a healthy dose of spicy brown mustard!   And maybe some chopped cherry peppers...

Yumm.   Maybe I'll go get some brats at the market and tear off the casings.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Griffin
    Options
    There was spicy brown mustard @KiterTodd You just can't see it in the pic.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just did HEB's beer brats on the Mini last week. I might take apart next time looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Looks great! However, I'll give you 99% approval because you're missing one of these :))
    canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Eet luks gut ya! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Options
    Same flavor they just cook faster and you don' thave to worry about whether they are done or not. I mean, you do have to worry, but it's easier to cook them through and you no worries on the casings bursting.

Rowlett, Texas

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
  • Griffin
    Options
    Looks great! However, I'll give you 99% approval because you're missing one of these :))

The beer or the girl? I had a beer and the wife got home from Vegas last night. :)

Rowlett, Texas

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Griffin you are a bad influence. I was going to order a salad but saw this on the menu...
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Griffin
    Options
    Don't blame me @DMW. So how was it?

Rowlett, Texas

• DMW
    Options
    When I saw the post this morning I knew I had to have one. I just didn't expect the opportunity to turn up so soon.

It was really good. Was at Stout in NYC.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Oh, BTW do you have a favorite bratwurst recipe? I'm making pulled pork this weekend and I'm thinking I'll pick up some extra shoulders for sausage.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Technically speaking, wouldn't that be "two of those"?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks damn good from here! I like the sound of the pretzel buns.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Griffin said:

Was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. I kinda wish I would have picked up some kind of cheese to put on it, but I couldn't decide what cheese would really work with it.

My preference would have been a nice slice of Swiss or Gruyere.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This is an occasion I would break out one of many German Steins. Now I know why we bought these beauties in Germany. For this sort of meal. Excellent! @Griffin‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    National Lampoon's European Vacation - German Fes…: http://youtu.be/dO93OT3P30g
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Griffin
    Options
    Great scene @NPHuskerFL !

Rowlett, Texas

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Usingers in Wisconsin sells Bratwurst burgers (and very good Brats). I've had em, they're great!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Options
    One of several stops in Maine last week was Camden (liked way better than Bar Harbor). I got the very best sandwich I have ever had. It was a Ruben with fried haddock. The sauerkraut was so good I ask about it and the pickles. Turns out the manufacturer was about 40 miles away so off we went and brought back both pickles and sauerkraut. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Brat burgers are great but try the pretzel bun with a good ole chuck burger as they are way good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    That looks awesome!

Minus the pretzels, one thing I despise in life is pretzels. If I'm on a rare flight and they serve me pretzels it makes me angry.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    @TUTTLE871 pretzels are good palette cleansers when switching between beers.

Rowlett, Texas

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Awesome. My wife is from a very strong German bloodline, so I make brats and red cabbage regularly to keep her happy. Never thought of making a burger out of it. Thanks for the inspiration.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Mickey
    Options
    Went to Wendy's and had the pretzel bun burger. It seemed i was eating a lot of bun. In thinking your burger Griff maybe hollow out a lot of the bread from inside the  pretzel bun and ???????? I have got to try this soon 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    For you @Griffin‌ In the spirit of it all...
    &for @TTC‌ 's wife

Diese Göre Burger sind Geld! Vielen Dank für eine ehrfurchtgebiet deutschen Koch. =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Griffin said:

@TUTTLE871 pretzels are good palette cleansers when switching between beers.

Blaaahhhhhh!!!!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That is mouth-wateringly awesome.

Question:  are you cooking w/o a gasket?
    It's a 302 thing . . .