Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here with some newbie questions

Hello all, Just recently got a large egg at a great cost and built my table. I have been reading all sorts of stuff here, thx for all the great info. Few questions remaining and please correct me where I am wrong. When starting it up, do you do wide open bottom and no top, until white smoke is gone? If so doesn't it get up to like 700-800? If it does, how long to take back down to around 250? When starting a typical charcoal grille, you wait until all briquettes are smoldering white, but Bge appears to differ. You just wait until the smoke coming out the top changes from white to clear? However, if all wood lump isn't white wouldn't you expect it to be white again when new lump lights? Does this make food taste like charcoal? I have been cooking direct heat and tonight it was definitely more charcoal taste than I would like in my chicken (no skin, just breast piece, no bones) which prompts this question. Burgers and steak tips were great but more profound taste in chicken. Thx all!

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    What brand charcoal are you using? You need to leave the vents open long enough to let the fire establish itself and start dialing back the vents as you approach your desired temp for that cook. The VOCs are only present at the beginning of a cook. Someone smarter will have to explain the reasoning so no the white smoke will not return. Welcome to the club.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Thx! my first bag I bought the Bge brand but will probably use something else down the road to save money.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    What I've done is wide open until about 50 degrees away from your target and start closing down. The smoke will go clear after about 20 minutes or so- really above about 200F.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Open the bottom all the way. Take the top off. Light it, and wait till it takes off 200-300 degrees before you begin closing the bottom and sticking the too back on and closing it. If you're doing a low and slow ten don't let the temp go much past your target-- it'll take FOREVER to come back down. If your going hot i.e. Steaks- let it go 500 ish before dialing back.
    Wait till the smoke is clear before any food goes on. Different brands of lump take different times.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If I understand what some of the food science types on here have said in the past is that the VOC's will begin dissipating when the temperature reaches about 250°F in the Egg which produces white smoke.  When the white smoke clears you are good to cook. I try to catch the temperature when it is slightly below my target and begin by making fairly radical adjustments to slow the temperature rise before it goes past target, then make smaller adjustments to get it where i want it to be.  Even if you have slowed the combustion process the VOCs will burn off with a bit of time.  Some lump coals take longer than others to burn clean so use the white smoke as a guide.

Just out of curiosity, were you using smoking wood on your cooks?  Poultry requires far less wood smoke than beef or pork.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • No wood at all and I think I followed your directions pretty well. Maybe it's been awhile I have grilled via charcoal rather than propane. Is more of a charcoal taste expected? Or should the charcoal not affect the taste at all?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited July 2014
    Here's a simple explanation of the difference between lump charcoal and briquettes - lump charcoal is 100% carbonized wood. Briquettes OTOH contained ground up lump but also fillers, chemicals such as saltpeter and other binders plus one very important ingredient...clay! So when a briquette starts to turn white or people think it is ashing over what has really happened was the lump powder has caught on fire, burnt away and is now exposing the clay content! When lump burns away yes it leaves a white ash but truly ash not clay. This will become more evident to you when you compare the tiny amount of ash left in your egg from lump vs. all that clay left in the bottom of your other cookers. As others will tell you as well- each of us in a different fashion- you want to sneak up on your desired temperature and not shoot way past it and then have to cool your egg down. The heat retention is one of the wonderful attributes of the ceramic egg. BTW welcome to eggland!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    BGE is a fairly smokey brand of charcoal. Rockwood and Ozark Oak seem to be the most neutral. I use rockwood and prefer the flavor on chicken it is much lighter if noticeable at all.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I light my lump with 1 to 3 balled up paper towels with some vegie oil on them, with bottom vent and spark screen open all the way and let burn until flames go away then I put in smoking wood, then close the dome and wait until the white smoke goes away and it turns a blue color.I`m sorry but I put the platesetter (if using) and grid or grids in the Egg when I put the wood chunks in. I leave the bottom vent wide open until about 50 degrees below desired temp then  add the daisy wheel and adjust bottom vent to achive the correct temp. Hope this helps.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • I was using a propane grill and a weber smoky mountain, and the propane grill rusted out. I got a incredible deal on the lg Bge so just getting used to it since I will grille and smoke obit I will definitely experiment with differ brands. It wasn't bad but a real strong taste. Going to smoke ribs this weekend, thinking 5-6 hours 3-1.5-1 method
  • bettysnephew
    Fully carbonized lump will have very little "charcoal" taste but it will be different than a gasser.  If the coal was not completely carbonized in the kiln the flavor will be more pronounced.  Royal Oak seems to be a little hit or miss in this fashion and it is widely believed that RO is the manufacturer of BGE brand coal.  If you can get either Ozark Oak or Rockwood they may be more to your liking as both are reported to have a very small to no flavor.  If you add a little smoke wood to your fire it is likely that the charcoal taste will cease to exist.  Pecan is very mild in this respect but there are many others with a low profile.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Welcome my friend!!! You have a lot of great advise and I'm sure you'll do great.
  • I think it is just the smoke produces by the charcoal isn't that appealing. Does anyone grille direct with the top wide open with the bottom vent controlling the heat? This would allow for more smoke to escape and be more of a grille situation
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    welcome!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @Smokeysmokerson‌ I had the same problem when started. A small hot fire is better than a big smoldering fire. Plus, I was starting my cooks too soon. Lump in the BGE last for several hours unlike using briquettes in a regular grill. You might just have to wait a little more. I use RO and don't have smoke issues unless I put in smoke wood.

I cook lots of desserts with smoke taste. Even baked cookies. Just hang with it. It's a learning curve.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Yeah not too concerned about it but want to make sure I learn each time.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Welcome and dont forget to take pictures we like pictures
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • RRP
    I think it is just the smoke produces by the charcoal isn't that appealing. Does anyone grille direct with the top wide open with the bottom vent controlling the heat? This would allow for more smoke to escape and be more of a grille situation

Sure! I know several eggperienced eggers who use no daisey on top and control their eggs temperature merely by the bottom vent opening. After all with a good sealing gasket then with the dome closed the only air is coming in from the vent. The only question I raise with you is anytime I hear people having issues with the smokiness is they are either very sensitive to any smoke and will be selling their egg shortly OR they put their food on way too early and have not let the VOC burn off. Just trying to help...
  • Before the egg, I was using a smoky mountain weber to smoke food, but I wasn't able to grill on it because of the distance from the grate to the bottom. So I definitely like the smoke taste when I am smoking ribs, a pork butt, or even chicken with pecan or apple wood. I just didn't expect it during a 30 minute grill with only the coals and no wood. Hoping I just put it on too quick.and it didn't burn off enough.
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    30 minutes from start to finish? Oh, man...there is your problem!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Wow! I didn't proof read my earlier post @Smokeysmokerson‌ . I was sitting in the movie theatre and just hit post. Hopefully you were able to read between the words. It was supposed to say without smoke.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • @RRP I meant 30 minutes just for the cook not including the white smoke burnoff. I will test again this weekend and wait much longer and see how it goes. Thx all for the great advice
  • Before the egg, I was using a smoky mountain weber to smoke food, but I wasn't able to grill on it because of the distance from the grate to the bottom. So I definitely like the smoke taste when I am smoking ribs, a pork butt, or even chicken with pecan or apple wood. I just didn't expect it during a 30 minute grill with only the coals and no wood. Hoping I just put it on too quick.and it didn't burn off enough.

Unless you had some smoke wood left over from a previous cook or your grate was smoking from your previous cook and you waited for the lump to burn clean you "shouldn't" have a heavy smoke taste
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned using a raised cooking grate along with a higher cooking temp. What temp did you cook your chicken?? For chicken my cooking temp is 400-425 with the grate at gasket level. The higher your temp the less residual smokey taste you will get on your food.
    My wife is smoke sensitive so I had the same issues with small cuts of protein until I started cooking like I described above and switched to a more neutral lump like Ozark Oak or Rockwood.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    If you reuse lump from a previous cook, something like a low and slow or something with a lot of drippings, it can be absorbed into the lump and change the flavor somewhat of the next cook.  Low and slow cooks tend to "season" the egg, much like a cast iron pan, and that can cause flavor changes as well.

This is a great reason to do a pizza night once a week, getting the egg up to 650 degrees helps keep it clean and neutral tasting.

Or, after cooking something messy or L&S, open up the vents and let the egg hit 600 to 700 for 20 minutes or so.  Be sure to take any drip pans or temp probes out first...
  • Awesome forum! I have cooked burgers, steak tips before the chicken with grate right on top of the ring. All have been cooked around 350 for the "gasket to cure" which could be BS? I used very little coal for the burgers and steak tips and read that I should use much more coal, so now the coal is just below the top of the fire box. Combined with coal from before and used two egg starters It wasn't awful or anything, but definitely not a subtle taste either. Next cook probably tonight Will start with paper towels instead of egg starters Will let it run for a good 30 mins before cooking Will have top open and try to control heat at bottom so more smoke can escape. Caveat I am not cooking chicken though so hard to check if it helps
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    One added thought. Clean smoke is kinda like cooking to temp and not time. A good way to tell how how smokey your food will taste is by holding your hand over the top chimney for a few seconds and then smell your hand. If it's smokey your food will be too.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I think I found the issue tonight! I put in two green egg starter blocks last night since I put more coal - rookie mistake! I found one today all in black which was probably in indirect heat just giving off stink. I relit it today and started my coals. I cooked very marinated steak tips from a local butcher so can't say for certain that was the sole issue. However I would place money on it that it gave off some stong smells
  • bettysnephew
    I once made the mistake of closing the vents before the starter cube was fully burned out.  The Egg expelled copious amounts of smoke.  I think you are on the tight track here.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa