Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado style smoker/ cookers vs. traditional smokers?

Options
Those who have both or have day experience with both.  Are there any noticeable differences in results, ease of use, temp control, etc.? 

Also what are some pros and cons with both styles and functionality qualities that maybe one is better or worse at than the other?

Thanks!
Jax, FL

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Night and day, but a lot of it is going to all depend on the quality of your traditional smoker. Mine is really a POS. Think it was less than $200 when I got it. Probably came from Academy or somewhere similar. Fuel needs to be restocked every 30 minutes or so. Really, couldn't handle whole sticks, have to mix charcoal and wood chunks. Wind and weather really affect your temps.

I can't speak to good, quality smokers like @SGH has. Those are different beasts altogether and probably easier to tame.

My POS has now retired down to the ranch. It's enjoying the good life and I thoroughly enjoy cooking on it now when I get a chance. Kick back, crack open a cold beverage and just relax. Can't be bothered to do anything else as it needs constant vigilance and adjusting. Fun to cook on a few times a year, but lacks the set it and forget it ease of an Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited July 2014
    Options

I've used quite a few good offset stick burners.  With a GOOD one ($800 to well over $1K), they are very good at any low and slows.  Done right, results are as good as on the Egg for things like brisket, ribs, butts, etc.  Temp control is easier on the Egg however.  You'll tend to get more smoke and a better ring with the offset.  You will also have to spend time "tending" to the fire with a smoker whereas the Egg just goes until you shut it down as long as it was loaded properly. 

Where the Egg shines in the comparison is the versatility.  You can do direct or indirect, a brisket one day, steaks the next, pizza the next, etc., etc.  Whereas the offset smoker is really only good for just that and you'd need a separate grill for hot and fast cooks like steaks and burgers.  

Both are great and both serve their purposes well, it's just that the Egg has more purposes which was a major selling point to me.  Though I won't rule out getting another stick burner one day just to have in addition to the Egg. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Over the years I've used propane smokers and had to replace two as the various components rusted. Went to a stainless steel propane unit and had good success with it.  However, as I aged, the need to monitor the temperature and the propane became a concern.  I then went to an electric stainless steel unit.  Have had it for four years and it has had a significant amount of use with positive outcomes. This summer I was introduced to the BGE.  The flavors, moistness of the meat, and ease of use far outweighs the other two options.  As a smoker, once the user is comfortable with the temperature control process on the BGE, it is basically set and go.  Lump charcoal does burn for a long time and the ceramic holds the temperatures well so long low and slows are possible with the confidence one gets in using electric.  And if there is a thunderstorm and the power goes out, lump charcoal continues to burn.  The learning curve with the temperature control on the BGE isn't difficult.  It does take practice and even when the outcome isn't perfect, it still tastes good!

The main reason I'd encourage you to consider the BGE is the flavor and moistness of the meat that comes out of it.  Propane and electric smokers require moisture pans and liquids to provide an environment to keep the meat from becoming dry.  Moisture pans, although they can be used in the BGE, are not needed.  The design of the BGE maintains the moisture within the egg.  Been cooking for a long time and am in awe of how moist and flavorful the meat from the BGE is.  There is another component that adds flavor to the meat, and that is the lump itself.  Cooking over charcoal has its own flavors and the wood used--cherry, apple, etc., simply enhances it.  The best testimony to the flavor of the BGE meat came--and has come multiple times since the egg came into our household--is: " We don't need to go to steak and rib restaurants anymore, yours is better than theirs."  As much as I love to eat out and not have to do dishes, we ate at a steak house the other night and the steaks and ribs didn't come close in any way to what comes off the egg.    

The pro of the electric is that is is a set and go temperature process--dial the temperature in, you're set.  The electric has its own conveniences, no need to store lump or make sure a propane tank is full.  The pro of a propane is that it is more portable than an egg and can be used in the back woods.  

When it comes to the reason anyone of us is using these cookers--the food--the BGE produces food with flavor and moistness that is notably more tender and filled with flavor.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well...this oughtta end well:)). All kidding aside, there are huge differences. Kamados/eggs are super efficient because they are fully insulated (1" thick ceramic). They are very easy to control temps with a little practice and you can set a temp and walk away for 24 hrs and it will be the same. You also cook vertically over a bed of lump charcoal as opposed to offset and using wood with some larger cookers. There are larger vertical cookers too but most folks are referring to offsets when they ask about the bigger rigs. Those come in all shapes and sizes as well so once you narrow it down to which style you prefer, you'll have more decisions to make. With the larger offset cookers, you are tending the fire several times an hour and using way more fuel (wood) to power the cooker. With a kamado you give up space for efficiency and ease of use. For most home cooks, they are plenty big. I can do 6 pork butts on mine with the right accessories. That is a huge cook for most people. You could do 20 on most offsets but you would be up all night while I'm all tucked away sleeping off my bourbon bender. They all have their benefits but they couldn't be anymore different in style (and you can't cook a pizza at 1000 degrees in an offset). Kamados very versatile if you set them up right but you do give up some of the benefits of burning wood and creating airflow like you do with traditional pits. The trade off is worth it to me and I don't cook near as much BBQ as I used to. For grilling, baking, and most smoking, I think the egg is superior. For straight up BBQ, I think the traditional rigs win out.- but at a cost of much more effort. Hope this helps. Good look in your search and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you come up with. There is nothing better than enjoying a few adult bevs on a beautiful day out on the deck sniffing smoke.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    Sorry I guess I should have included in my post that I am a BGE owner, I've had a Lg for about 2 months now and love it.  I have never used a traditional smoker, the 1st thing I ever smoked was a butt on the Egg a couple weeks after I got it.  I was just curious what the differences were and opinions from Eggers that have used both. 

I'm also posting this because a coworker of mine that uses a traditional smoker tried some pulled pork that I brought in yesterday and loved it but also said that I was "cheating" by using the Egg.  :)

Thanks.
    Jax, FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    SidZer0 said:

I'm also posting this because a coworker of mine that uses a traditional smoker tried some pulled pork that I brought in yesterday and loved it but also said that I was "cheating" by using the Egg.  :)

Thanks.

If getting the best flavored and most juicy foods that have ever come off a bbq.............well then call me a cheater.
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    By cheating he means better but easier. Whats wrong with easier. I have a klose competition sitting beside my large egg. I rarely use the Klose anymore, the egg is better.
  • StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89
    Options
    SidZer0 said:

Thanks.
    I cooked with a cheap offset for a while and after getting an Egg, it does kind of feel that way for those don't have it.  I like to think of it as though I was using a tool that "worked" for the job and I finally got the "right" tool for the job.

I do really appreciate the experiences I got from the cheap offset smoker though. It feels like I earned my smoking stripes and could cook good BBQ from something that didn't cost as much.  My large was a gift and they said that if I was willing to put that much work into the food, they wanted the work to be a little easier.  What a wonderful family I have!
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I've had ribs off of a Traeger (pellet, electric smoker) and they were very good. They ain't cheap - starting at $800 or so. A true "fire and forget" experience. At that price point, I'd look at another egg. Plus, I don't like being hamstrung in purchasing those pellets. Maybe I'm old-school (I am), but I like chunks of wood, not sawdust...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had ribs off of a Traeger (pellet, electric smoker) and they were very good. They ain't cheap - starting at $800 or so. A true "fire and forget" experience. At that price point, I'd look at another egg. Plus, I don't like being hamstrung in purchasing those pellets. Maybe I'm old-school (I am), but I like chunks of wood, not sawdust...

not to mention that a Traeger would be a rust bucket after 9 years outside uncovered. My egg still looks and operates like new (except my wood handle).
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Well...this oughtta end well:)). All kidding aside, there are huge differences. Kamados/eggs are super efficient because they are fully insulated (1" thick ceramic). They are very easy to control temps with a little practice and you can set a temp and walk away for 24 hrs and it will be the same. You also cook vertically over a bed of lump charcoal as opposed to offset and using wood with some larger cookers. There are larger vertical cookers too but most folks are referring to offsets when they ask about the bigger rigs. Those come in all shapes and sizes as well so once you narrow it down to which style you prefer, you'll have more decisions to make. With the larger offset cookers, you are tending the fire several times an hour and using way more fuel (wood) to power the cooker. With a kamado you give up space for efficiency and ease of use. For most home cooks, they are plenty big. I can do 6 pork butts on mine with the right accessories. That is a huge cook for most people. You could do 20 on most offsets but you would be up all night while I'm all tucked away sleeping off my bourbon bender. They all have their benefits but they couldn't be anymore different in style (and you can't cook a pizza at 1000 degrees in an offset). Kamados very versatile if you set them up right but you do give up some of the benefits of burning wood and creating airflow like you do with traditional pits. The trade off is worth it to me and I don't cook near as much BBQ as I used to. For grilling, baking, and most smoking, I think the egg is superior. For straight up BBQ, I think the traditional rigs win out.- but at a cost of much more effort. Hope this helps. Good look in your search and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you come up with. There is nothing better than enjoying a few adult bevs on a beautiful day out on the deck sniffing smoke.
    +1 on this. I have a large offset that I used to cook certain things such as 10 slabs of ribs etc. But for all night cooks and most grilling, I'd prefer the egg.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I don't have a offset firebox on my meat monster. The firebox is inside the cooking chamber which is fully insulated so temp control on it is also a breeze. I like the meat monster also as I have 3 levels to cook on and depending on which valves I open can get different temps thru out the cooker. Now the meat monster us not cheap by no means but Iuse it alot for large cooks.

That being said I also have 10 eggs so to say I like my eggs is a understatement.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 to what others have said. I have a high end Klose offset. I, too was curious so I suspect I am one of the really rare people who bought another grill after getting an egg. Unlike the cheaper smokers, it weighs over 700 pounds and holds heat reasonably well - but not as well as my egg. That allows me to go as long as 2 hours without tinkering with it - although 60-90 minutes is optimal. I usually use a water pan in the Klose in an attempt to maximize meat moisture and it seems to help. I only use it a few times a year - basically when I have a massive cook to do or when I just want to spend a focused day playing with meat and fire on a different smoker.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Let me say that brother Cen-Tex is spot on in his explanations above. As a owner and user of several types of smokers I could not have said it any better myself. I concur fully with his analogy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Gravity fed is a great way to get larger cooking capacity with set it & forget it convenience. The egg is easy & gets above average results but cannot compete flavor wise with a stick burner like a lang.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    My first smoker was/is an electric vertical water smoker.  I still use it as it is easily portable.  I've built a new base for it so I can use it with charcoal if I want and I can use my BBQ guru to control it.

As others have said, the beauty of the EGG is:  "it's a smoker, it's a grill, it's a pizza oven, but wait there's more, now how much would you pay?"

I also still use my propane grill w/wo rotisserie. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    beteez said:

Gravity fed is a great way to get larger cooking capacity with set it & forget it convenience. The egg is easy & gets above average results but cannot compete flavor wise with a stick burner like a lang.

For barbecue I would agree. I think a Kamado is better for most other cooks. There is nothing like killer wood fired cue. I've gotten close a few times but it's hit and miss on the egg with serious q. I'll be the first to admit it.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    I have both....I like the results better on the off-set....I have used my off-set for over 30 years but now that I don't want to tend all night cooks, my XL Egg and Stoker is good for me. It took me awhile, cooking on the Egg to get my BBQ to taste close to what I can get on my off-set

My favorite cooker was the reverse flow made by Jerry Roach out of Arkansas....I purchased Jerry's competition cooker after seeing it at the  Memphis in May BBQ Cook Off in 1989 and  I cooked on this rig for 10 years and loved every minute cooking on this great cooker.  I cooked everything from whole hog, pork shoulders, brisket, ribs, links and chicken

I tell people today, if you only could have one BBQ cooker it would be the Egg style cooker with the Stoker for air control,  pit temp and meat temp viewing remotly