Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE pizzas are like pancakes . .

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
BGE pizzas are like pancakes . . . because each one I pull off the egg is better than the previous one!  I made 4 last night and the first one was good but a little pale - but the final pizza was phenomenal!  It had jalapeno/onion/sun-dried-tomato - but its all about the crust . . . it was chewy/crusty/airy - but still fold-able.   
imageimage

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Wow, look awesome.  What did you use for dough?  Can you fill me in on temp/time etc?  What do you attribute the improvement to?  I'm wanting to do pizzas on the BGE pretty bad so just curious.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• NitsujNella
    Options
    Looks great!  Also curious about the dough recipe!
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    nice looking pies

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I've always chalked that up to the extra preheating time of the cooking surface.  With both pancakes and pizza I tend to get impatient and start them before I should.  If I get distracted for an extra 10 minutes the first few pancakes tend to turn out much better.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Awesome congrats....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    another vote for preheating longer.  I have found that this has been the most important thing with making pizzas on t he BGE.  It takes about 25-30 minutes to reach 500 degrees. If you put your pizza on earlier it will not cook the way you want.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Excellent pie.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking pies!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Options
    Thank you . . CLICK HERE for the dough recipe I used (for @jonnymack and @nitsujnella ).  Only difference is that I did a 20 minute autolyse before using the kitchen aid mixer then went with a cold rise of 2 nights in fridge.  I hit the stone with my IR Thermometer and it was around 600. I wanted higher but I was too anxious. I also used my grid extender to raise the stone high up - almost near the therm probe.  

I read over Jeff Varasano's site again -  http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm - which is somewhat painful - but below are some of my take-aways (for now at least)

BIG DIFFERENCE MAKERS FOR ME RECENTLY: 
    1) bring all ingredients including dough to room temp before topping 
    2) not over-handling the dough when stretching out - took 2 mins max for stretch, toppings, then straight on the EGG Stone 
    3) used immersion blender to lightly blend (not full puree) can of high-end crushed tomatoes (instead of sauce) . . then strained blend through a strainer to remove all extra liquid . . seems too simple but its perfect.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    I feel you.  My first one is not always great.  However the second and thereafter seem to work better. I think I need to let my stone heat up longer before I start.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @NDG where did you get the 00 flour?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • NDG
    Options
    @farbuck . .  Italian Store in Pittsburgh called PENNSYLVANIA MACARONI COMPANY . . and they ship all over the place.  

I have not done the price comparisons VRS amazon . . but it might be worth checking out because you could bundle the flour with some other specialty pizza making items.

Here is their website:     www.pennmac.com
    Columbus, OH

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @NDG  Thanks.  I bought some from Amazon and thought the price was reasonable but I was trying to find some place local.   Pittsburgh is more local than the cloud that Amazon is on, I guess.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    They look delicious to me... Fun to make also.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I start preheating the stone in my oven at 400 at about the same time I light the egg. First pizza cooks just like the third or fourth. I've made my own dough and I've bought frozen crusts. We have a pizza place here that's regionally famous and their crust is exceptional. I've discovered that they will sell the risen dough. A dough ball for a medium pizza costs $1.00. I bring it home and roll it out nice and thin. For $1, I just can't justify making the dough or "getting by" with the frozen grocery store crusts.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Egg pizza is the best. I use the flour water salt yeast recipe and the key to good dough for me is good flour. There's a seller on amazon that buys Caputo OO in bulk and ships it in smaller quantities for much cheaper. Stepped up my pizzas for sure.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Looks delicious!  Got my egg a few weeks ago and pizzas have been one of my favorite things to cook.  I found the same thing, they get better each time.  I agree with Lit, Egg pizza is the best.  I've been making pizzas for years in the oven, and on the Weber Kettle.  The crust comes out great from the egg.

My setup has been platesetter legs up, grid, pizza stone, temp 650.  Takes about 10 minutes to cook, with dough rolled out pretty thin.

I've been using refrigerated dough from Trader Joe's.  I'll try and add a pic of my pizza, hopefully it works, first time trying a picture - sauteed garlic, fresh tomato and mozzarella, then fresh basil added after cooking.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle