Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO's First BGE Bake - Carrot Cake (Pics)

Options

I convinced SWMBO to throw her carrot cake into the egg instead of the oven (electric ovens are an abomination). She was a little worried it would come out tasting smokey, but it was perfect. The recipe calls for 350* in the oven for 20 minutes. It took slightly longer in the egg but it was done to perfection and really retained it's moisture better than the oven.

I had the egg locked in at 350* dome and naturally it dropped when I threw the cold cake in. I figured this is why it took slightly longer. When you bake, do you really need to take the grate temperature? Or raise the dome slightly to allow for the drop? Or just keep the dome exactly as the recipe calls? The cake was perfect - just wondering what your experiences have been.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Congrats on sharing the egg with SWMBO, maybe... What will you do if she really likes it?
    IMHO, the grid temp is the best if you know it, but the dome temp is usually fine when cooking indirect and it will be a few degrees higher than the grid temp, as much as 25 after one hour of fire, maybe 10 after three or four hours of fire. The temps will approach each other the longer the egg sits at one temp and the dome is kept closed. 

Your oven, will automatically turn on more heat as a result of an opened door, it senses the temp drop and adjusts. Unless you use a stoker, your egg will respond to the temp loss in its slow methodical way. 

Never done a cake, but breads and pies and cookies come out just fine. Use a neutral lump, I would not recommend mesquite for cakes....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Will someone enlighten me on what SWMBO stands for? Thanks
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Sixpack1 She Who Must Be Obeyed
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Sixpack1‌
    It depends on where you are from. Here is the alternative depending on your location.
    SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obedient ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great looking cake..Looks really moist and a winner.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Here's my last carrot cake off the egg! I love carrot cake!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Buckeye, since it came out perfect, don't change a thing.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me DMW and SGH...

The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice cake hope you used cream frosting for it :)

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    @RRP - That looks amazing, would you mind sharing the recipe?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    @RRP - That looks amazing, would you mind sharing the recipe?
    Here you go!

"Sinfully Good Carrot Cake" 

Here's the carrot cake recipe with my modifications to bake it on the BGE. It came from "The Book Lovers Cafe Cookbook", Gourmet Vegetarian Recipes by Crystal Dougherty & Ian Schleifer. 

2 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 tsp mace
    1 1/2 cups canola oil
    4 eggs
    3 cups grated carrots
    3/4 cups English walnuts, chopped   

1/2 cup raisins (dusted with flour so they won’t sink and burn!)
    1 tbsp lemon zest 

Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and mace). In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs, one at a time, and incorporate each one before adding the next. Slowly add the flour mixture. Next add the carrots and lemon zest.  Then by hand mix in the nuts and finally the flour covered raisins AND BE GENTLE (hehehe). Pour in to two round 9-inch well greased (Criso) and floured cake pans (or three 8-inch pans). Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or longer until a toothpick comes out clean.  I used my plate setter inverted with the primary grate resting on the inverted legs with one cake pan and then either using a grill extender or 2 fire bricks plus an auxillary grate I placed the other one. Just be careful that your dome thermometer isn’t impaling the cake batter NOW or in the raised cake to be!After baked and cooled (an hour) turn the cakes out onto a rack. Once they are cool, spread a layer of icing on the top of one round, set the other on top and finish icing the top and sides, being careful to not tear the cake and have crumbs on the outside. Garnish the sides of the cake with chopped walnuts, if desired. 

"Sinfully Good Spicy Cream Cheese Icing"

8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
    6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2  cups powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp lemon zest
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cloves 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.