Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

home brewers

Options
I know this if off topic, but I read a thread not long ago about home brewers.  I think brewing and egging go together nicely.  I am looking into getting into home brewing.  Any suggestions on kits?  I have researched them a lot but I also like to hear from someone who uses them.  I willing to spend around $500 to get started.
Thanks
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Unfortunately I am going to be of no help to you either! And not to hijack your post, but I am also interested as well. It seems like quite a few posters on here do some real home brewing (not the $100 kit with plastic bottles). I would just be curious as well as to what equipment is needed, pots, buckets, fillers, bottles, etc. I'm sure you guys have went through your trials and errors and find what works best. But if you would all be so kind to help us beginners out that would be eggcellent.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

$500 will get you in the door easily. With better equipment than some of the stuff I have. Do you have a home brew store near you that you can go check out and talk to? My local store had a kit that I got. All I "really" needed to add to it was large stock pots (I used what I had, have bought one 5 gallon pot, saving up for a larger heavier duty one). Not needed, but if you have a propane burner, that would really help. Heats up faster than your stove and your house won't smell like malt and barley and hops.

If you don't have a shop, there are online stores you can order from.

Pretty standard kit $79.99

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

I'd start with something like that, see if you like it and upgrade from there. Don't do the Mr. Beer kit.

You need to have lots of patience with home brewing. It's a process that takes awhile. But that's ok, once you get rolling you'll have a "pipeline" with new beer coming out regularly. And I hope you don't mind cleaning stuff. Lots of cleaning involved.

Start saving all your non screw top bottles. Maybe tell a few friends to save some for you. You'll need 48-50 for your first batch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    Thanks.  I have already begun saving bottles.  I have a propane burner.  I thought I could set up in the corner of my garage.  I will check on the home brew store. I watched some youtube videos and one guy did it with a cooler and a pot.  My brother has been home brewing for a few years and he is helping me with some items.  His hobby has grown and he has spent a lot of money.  I don't want to go that route. I want to stay very small and have some beer to share for cook outs, ball games, and of course personal consumption.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you have a burner I'd get a minimal 10 gallon kettle. It will help you with boil overs.  If you want to keep it small, I would do extract kits with dry yeast until you're ready/want to go bigger.
    You can ferment in plastic buckets that are cheap and safe to use. Just try avoid scratching them.

Good beer is simple to make providing you follow the basis rules:

1. Sanitation, (The most important of all steps)

2. Healthy yeast (Dry yeast will help you with this) Liquid yeast requires a starter to produce a really good beer.

3. Temperature control. Don't let you fermentation temperatures get too hot.

Aurora,OH
  • Griffin
    Options

Yeah, you can totally brew in your garage, but I wouldn't let it ferment in there. Not in the summer. Most yeasts will be happier at 72 or below (unless you use a Belgium saison)

I'm sure that the guy you say use a cooler was using it for his mash tun. That will be my next project, building one. I think that would be a necessity for a full grain batch, but not needed for partial or extract. On my last one, I just nestled one pot in a bigger pot filled with 155 water, wrapped it in a towel and it help my mash temp at 153 for a full hour. Had to hit it with the propane burner for a few minutes a couple of times when the temp dipped a little bit. Anyway, you can add that later.

I'd suggest talking to your brother. He probably knows more than I do about it and he can help you get started cheap. Maybe you can even buy some of his old stuff off of him and he can upgrade his stuff...

Rowlett, Texas

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Since I left MN have not brewed, I was spoiled by the great suppliers there, Midwest supplies and as Griffin said Great Northern.  I specialized in Ales only, specifically IPA's.  I did Liquid Malt extract brewing with a partial mash to keep it simple yet still able to make some amazing brews.  I just felt is was easier than whole grain brewing yet gave me close to the same flavor profiles.

The propane burner would work well.  I suggest a 5 gallon minimum stainless kettle to brew, 6 gallon would be better so you could boil almost the full 5 gallon batch.  Get two glass carboys both 6 gallon one for initial ferment and the other which could be a 5 gallon for the secondary ferment.  I used a large diameter blow off hose for the primary fermentation which ran from carboy to a sterile bucket with water in during the initial ferment stage.  A rubber cork with hole for a airlock is needed for secondary ferment.  Get a large size funnel for moving from brew kettle to ferment carboy is helpful.

I highly recommend a auto siphon for moving beer from primary to secondary ferment and from secondary ferment to bottling bucket (plastic okay here).  Msc tubing to run from bottling bucket to a bottle filler to fill bottles.  A bottle drying tree not  bad idea.  A ferment thief ?  a device to take some liquid from a carboy to test specific gravity which you will also need.  Miscellaneous cheese cloth bags for mashing the grains and even adding hops to keeps some of the hop crap out of the brew kettle.  Large kettle size stirer.  Bottle capper (hand held is okay), sterilizing chemicals.  That is most of what you need.  I fermented in the basement of our house which rarely got much over 78 even in hot summer.  Winter was perfect where it would stay in the 60's.

Sure I forgot some stuff but thats a pretty good list.  Not sure if there are any brew supplies stores around you in GA.  I lived close to midwest and would drive there, I was spoiled.  Their grain room is bigger than most brew stores down south.

Good luck, patience and keep everything sterile I cannot emphasize sterile enough.  Would hate to have a batch go 6 weeks before tasting only to find it ruined.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    Almost forgot one of the most important things a wort chiller, man did that save some time on brew day.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    Thanks B&BKnox.  I am thinking the extract is the way to start.  I have seen bags for the whole grain.  But then you have to grind the grains and other added expenses.  I hope to have something put together by football season.  Watching the game, brewing, and egging seems like a great way to spend Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    I didn't own an egg in those days, seems brew day was a 5-6 hour affair.  I just ground my grains at midwest since I was using within a day or two, they will grind for you but shelf life is an issue.  Seem like I seeped at 150 ish (you have a thermopen life will be great) for 45 min or so then added to my brew pot and then rinsed the grain bag with 170 water.  I usually hopped similar to Dog fish adding hops every 5 minutes or so.  Centennial was my go to hop.  I almost always used 9 lb of extract or some times 6 lb extract and then multiple lbs of dried malt extract but that can be a pain to work with.  Liquid was pretty easy.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I have a 15g brew kettle and love it as u dont have to worry about boil overs as much.A barley crusher is nice to as you can crush your grains when you like (with a drill) and are not on a freshness schedule like when using pre-crushed grains....and yes a wort chiller and star san are impt too.

Got a bells two hearted clone in the primary now and going to dry hop with a ounce of centennial in a week or so before kegging!!!!    

If you can try kegging (rhymes with egging...lol) it is much easier and funner than bottling!!! I only could handle two batches of cleaning and sanitizing 5 doz bottles.

Jamie
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Extract is the easy way to start, you got some great advice above so take it. The wort chiller is a must, you can even make you own, see you-tube. Its a lot of fun and you will become the envy of your neighbors with the awesome egg and home brewed beer. I have a clone of Stone Ruination that will be ready to consume one week from Saturday. Cheers!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Not sure about places up there in Blue Ridge, but there is a place down here just south of Atlanta that is a great brewing, distilling, wine making, and cheese making down here in Henry Co / Stockbridge / McDonough area.  

http://www.barleynvine.com is their website and they are a great resource!  I'm sure they will respond to any e-mail question you might have and might be able to direct you to one of their friends up in that area!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Make sure u check out homebrewtalk, it's the best resource I have found. Also go on craigslist and search for homebrew or carboy you might find some good used equipment. I also highly recommend the book How to Brew by Palmer.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Griffin
    Options

+1 on what B&B said for his method.

You don't need to grind your own grains. Any store will do that for you and you can get them ground in the mail.

Palmer's book is supposed to be good. I haven't read it. Papazian's Complet Joy of Homebrewing is also good. Definitely get a book and read it. Twice. Or more. You'll keep picking up new things.

Start with extract. There is nothing wrong with that. How I started. Helps you get a feel for the process and decide if you want to commit.

+1 on what tj said about craigslist.

Rowlett, Texas

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    A turkey fryer kit will give you a suitable burner and pot for a start. +1 on the equipment kits from Northern Brewer. Their beer kits are also very good. I have been brewing a long time, do not do all grain as it takes more time and equipment than I care to invest. I brew some pretty great extract beers.

Like egging, you will always add accessories
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY