Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash removal

Options

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I use the 1.5 gallon shop vac with the normal bags that you can find at Walmart. @jmcnutt5‌ it's worked just fine for me. Been doing it for a year with no issues so far.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I don't understand vacuuming out the ash.  As soon as you go to use it there will be ash in it again.
    Do you vacuum out your fireplace as well?
    I just remove the bulk of it to insure good air flow. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It's pretty simple really @Zmokin‌. Vacuum the egg clean. Add the lump you feel will be the best for the cooks you plan on doing for the next few days. Cook away, stirring the lump before each cook till it's gone... Then vac out and repeat. You will always have perfect airflow.

No need to vac out my fireplace because I'm not trying to achieve and hold a specific temp, however in my egg I am. ;)
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    It's pretty simple really @Zmokin‌. Vacuum the egg clean. Add the lump you feel will be the best for the cooks you plan on doing for the next few days. Cook away, stirring the lump before each cook till it's gone... Then vac out and repeat. You will always have perfect airflow. No need to vac out my fireplace because I'm not trying to achieve and hold a specific temp, however in my egg I am. ;)
    Sorry, my method works just fine for me, I don't have to drag the shop vac out from the garage to the backyard and then have to put it away again.  I've never had a problem holding a specific temp and I've never vacuumed my BGE.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Shop Vac
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I started with this method when I started using different lump types for different cooks. I figure if I'm getting all the lump out anyways to use a different type may as well get all the ash out as well to get the best possible airflow.

IMHO the place where it I've found it most beneficial is when trying to go slow and very low (200-225). I've found it's very difficult to sustain a 200ish temp for 7-10 hours without using the shop vac to maximize airflow in the egg beforehand.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I've finally figured out who @nolaegghead‌ is........

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I second the Kick Ash Basket . Just got one a couple weeks ago and makes clean up a breeze .
    Lift the basket out of egg .Shake over ash pail and I'm done . Minimal amount of ash remains in egg .I have the egg ash shovel that has lip which hooks on to channel for lower vent .Pull ash out with tool on to shovel and I'm done .
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I used to use a shop vac, but it seemed more trouble than it's worth.

I usually try to clean up the ash when there is little lump so I just scoop it out and use a small brush and dustpan to get all the ash out. I usually take the fire ring and box out as well. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I use this little Bucket top vac/blower from the orange big box. It's small enough that it's very portable, but both vacs and functions as a blower if needed. I can vac out under the grate in no time!

Just be sure you check the hose placement before attacking ash... The ports are not labeled for vac or blower; you'll only make the blower mistake once!! Talk about a cloud of ash!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I just place a low profile rectangle shape Tupperware under the bottom vent and use the ash tool to scrape it out. Takes me less than a minute. When its full I take it and toss it over by the trees. After a few cooks I take everything out, usually prepping for a long low and slow, ill take everything out and clean it out.

Don't understand paying $12 for a couple of bags when you don't need to.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I just place a low profile rectangle shape Tupperware under the bottom vent and use the ash tool to scrape it out. Takes me less than a minute. When its full I take it and toss it over by the trees. After a few cooks I take everything out, usually prepping for a long low and slow, ill take everything out and clean it out.

The tupperware doesn't burn at that high heat?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The two L-shaped: Large and Mini. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I used the BGE ash tools for my large and small. For mini, I just took everything off.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    I use a kick ash basket and the PowerSmith Ash Vac with a cleaning attachment. I can vac out the air holes and all the way down to the ash that drops  onto the kettle floor outside the firebox. I can also snake the cleaning tube through the bottom vent and around the kettle between the outer wall of the firebox and the inside wall of the kettle. A complete clean takes less than 10 minutes and I never have to touch or move either the fire box or the fire ring. The filter in the ash vac is double lined and designed to work without blowback on even the finest ash. Works like a charm. I recommend this cleaning system. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:

The tupperware doesn't burn at that high heat?

I have my egg in a table and sitting on a table nest. the Tupperware slides under the table nest and I just scrape it out with the ash tool. I dont remove ash when its hot!!!
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Ash tool for the bulk of it and when I think they need cleaning behind the firebox....the leaf blower blasts it out and off the deck.  :-)  Never have had to take the firebox out of any of them.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

Every other cook, I remove everything out of my large BGE, fire ring, the basket, and with a pair of gloves, I brush the ash out the opening into a cardboard box.  It ensures a cleanish ash box, plus I take the opportunity to ensure the air vents are clear.  It takes only a few minutes and I feel comfortable knowing I have an ash-free egg for my cooks.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @keepervodeflame - WOW! That's the  cleanest used egg I've ever seen!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Caliking, 

I had just done a high heat pizza cook and let it sit at 650-700 for about 15 minutes post cook. I have gotten into doing CI Pan Seared Chicken lately and have done maybe 4 in the past 2 months. Pan Seared Chicken is a great cook but there is a chicken fat splatter factor to deal with.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    @keepervodeflame - WOW! That's the  cleanest used egg I've ever seen!

I have to stop posting pictures :-t I must have the dirtiest Egg out the there. But nothing sticks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    The BGE ash tool works great and I use it before every cook, Money well spent.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Vacuum my Egg? NO!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    My first post here after getting my NSBGE(not so BGE) actually a minimax, and I have used an old coal/ash shovel I picked up at an auction sale years ago fits perfectly under the Egg ashremoval /vent hole. Believe you can still find these at Hardware stores where they sell wood stoves and such.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Now after reading here AND since I built my table for the minimax it will be much easier to use a small shop vac for me in future, there isn't much space under the table due to the lower firebox of the minimax and a vacuum is just the thing for this now for me.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Metal bucket, metal scooper and fire starter. Keeps me from burning the house down. 

This spring when I build my table I will use the shop vac. And find an overhang to leave it outside. (Lessons learned. Hot ash and plastic)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    I sell my used egg on CL and just get a new clean egg.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I bought a KAB and my eggs suddenly turned into self cleaning eggs.  What's next a SM cap that is auto adjusting?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Shop vac for me makes me HAPPY
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95