Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling All Butt Experts (Advice Needed)

Options
2»

Comments

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you mess up a butt, find another hobby................just joking,,,,,,butts are the easiest thing to cook in the Egg
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I've never tried a turbo cook.  grew up in Hawaii where pork butts are a staple of life.  I've cooked them in a crockpot rubbed with liquid smoke & Hawaiian sees salt & about a 1/2 of liquid, usually beer.  12 hours on low, perfect every time.  i've done them low & slow in my Tejas Smoker, no liquid smoke of course.  200 - 250, until internal temps is 203.  i also score the fat & cook fat side up so that the juices run through the meat.  I've used mustard of all brands and type, but my favorite liquid for the rub to stick to, is Dale's liquid seasoning, highly concentrated, works fast & penetrate quickly, 30 minutes to an hour tops, just enough time to get the egg fired up & stable.

My LBGE, same thing as my smoker, but i've really enjoyed the LBGE cook more, my Tejas Smoker is more of a storage area for BGE accessories now.  Have fun, experiment, don't chase your temps, 200 to 275, no problem.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Ooops!  Sea Salt & 1/2 of liquid
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Hey buddy,

Do the butt YOUR way. You won't screw it up.

Change a little each time to slowly make it better.

Soon, start doing two butts instead. When they go on sale.

Sauce:

One squirt bottle
    Fill with apple cider vin
    Two tablespoons red pepper flakes
    One tablespoon brown sugar

Enjoy! Pulled pork is AMAZING off the BGE!
    8-Damien
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ , I'd just close my eyes and pick somebody's post. If you don't like it, cross that post off and repeat the process next time. I think the only real mistake I've made with PP is pulling it too soon. Instead of waiting until it probed like butter, I would pull when internal temp would be around 195°ish. I was paranoid that I was gonna dry it out. Pulling too early equals chunked or sliced pork.
    Personally I try to L&S at 250°, mustard, experiment with a different rub each time, Scored fat cap up, PS legs up, elevated drip pan, and apple and pecan wood for smoke.
    Just curious about your PS use or lack of @Mickey‌ and @johnkitchens‌ . By looking at the number of your posts, you both seem to be experienced Eggers. If your not using a PS, what are you guys using to cook indirect?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @johnkitchens‌ , I'd just close my eyes and pick somebody's post. If you don't like it, cross that post off and repeat the process next time. I think the only real mistake I've made with PP is pulling it too soon. Instead of waiting until it probed like butter, I would pull when internal temp would be around 195°ish. I was paranoid that I was gonna dry it out. Pulling too early equals chunked or sliced pork.
    Personally I try to L&S at 250°, mustard, experiment with a different rub each time, Scored fat cap up, PS legs up, elevated drip pan, and apple and pecan wood for smoke.
    Just curious about your PS use or lack of @Mickey‌ and @johnkitchens‌ . By looking at the number of your posts, you both seem to be experienced Eggers. If your not using a PS, what are you guys using to cook indirect?

I am NOT a fan of the PS. I have two ways: have two full sets of AR's with stones and find that is so much easier to use. Second way is the Steel Grid I was given works well and really looks cool. imageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love that set up Mickey, John i have cooked many Butts and you have excellent advice definitely use a drip pan Pork Butts drip a lot of fat. Look forward to your cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am overwhelmed by all of responses. You guys are the best. I haven't gotten my butt yet. I am hoping to do it this weekend, but with my kids going back to school next week my wife may have my weekend mapped out ahead of me. I think some back to school shopping is in the mix.

I am very excited to try my first one. We eat pulled pork usually once a week from our local BBQ joint. In this part of Georgia all of the BBQ joints have pre vinegar sauced the pork before you can get your hands on it. 

I am anxious to see how that will compare. I was concerned that I couldn't get a butt locally with bone in, but I talked to the meat manager at my local store last night, and he can get them for me. 

You guys are really nice to help me like this. I appreciate it very much!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I had a barbecue judge tell me several years ago that a lot of competition pit masters use creamy peanut butter instead of mustard to stick the rub. So I had to try it. I nuked some creamy PB to loosen it up, painted it on an 8 pound butt. It turned out just fine. Next time I do butts I will do 2, one with mustard and one with peanut butter to compare. 
    Just like with mustard, you never taste the peanut butter at all.
    I do both turbo as well as low and slow. I really enjoy the low and slow, smelling that smoke and listening to a ball game on the radio. Its a great way to enjoy an afternoon/evening. And there is usually a Terrapin beer or two involved!

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Egg -lump-platesetter-drip pan-grate-butt.Get fire going if u want low heat cook at about 225/250 and forget it till IT temp 200
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had a barbecue judge tell me several years ago that a lot of competition pit masters use creamy peanut butter instead of mustard to stick the rub. So I had to try it. I nuked some creamy PB to loosen it up, painted it on an 8 pound butt. It turned out just fine. Next time I do butts I will do 2, one with mustard and one with peanut butter to compare. 

I have never used mustard. Never even heard of using peanut butter. Seriously, you guys have trouble getting your rub to stick? Really? I sure don't. Do you use mustard or PB on a steak?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not a problem to get rub to stick it's just the amount.  If there is a layer of mustard it helps create more of a paste 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    EVO works great and helps create the bark.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I'm about to do pulled pork also this weekend. Probably going to do turbo.

Do any of you use water on the drip pan?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @bbqlearner‌ No need for water in the drip pan. Just make sure you leave an air space between the PS and pan.
    GWN
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I use a 50/50 of water and apple cider. Mostly for the temp stability of the water. And a little added flavor to the bark from the cider. It is not necessary but and option.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited July 2014
    Options
    they are really tough to mess up, so just go for it one way, try another next time.  just be sure you cook to temp.  I shoot for ~200, but I've never had one with a uniform temp in all areas - always some that are 195 in some areas and 205 on the other end, so don't get heartburn about that.

turbo/no-turbo really appears to be more about timing your cook.  cook/eat in one day or cook overnight.

you can never have too much bark.  don't be afraid to go heavy with the rub - this is nothing compared to the amount of pork and juices on the interior this will mix with when you pull it

overcooked won't be dry, it will be mushy.

I get lazy with sauce - I take my favorite bottled sauce and cut it ~50% with cider vinegar and put in in a squirt bottle

famous dave's pickles are fantastic on a pulled pork sandwich

king's hawaiian rolls are the perfect bread for pork
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

+1.  Rub sticks to the butt just fine without the mustard or other goo.  Keep it simple and don't worry about how it will turn out.  As long as you cook it long enough, it will be really juicy and easy to pull.

I have never used mustard. Never even heard of using peanut butter. Seriously, you guys have trouble getting your rub to stick? Really? I sure don't. Do you use mustard or PB on a steak?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options

just try and get a whole bottle of dp coarse to stick to a butt without mustard :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Legume said:

they are really tough to mess up, so just go for it one way, try another next time.  just be sure you cook to temp.  I shoot for ~200, but I've never had one with a uniform temp in all areas - always some that are 195 in some areas and 205 on the other end, so don't get heartburn about that.

turbo/no-turbo really appears to be more about timing your cook.  cook/eat in one day or cook overnight.

you can never have too much bark.  don't be afraid to go heavy with the rub - this is nothing compared to the amount of pork and juices on the interior this will mix with when you pull it

overcooked won't be dry, it will be mushy.

I get lazy with sauce - I take my favorite bottled sauce and cut it ~50% with cider vinegar and put in in a squirt bottle

famous dave's pickles are fantastic on a pulled pork sandwich

king's hawaiian rolls are the perfect bread for pork

I think most people use temp as a guide to help know when the Pork Butt is getting close to being ready to pull.

From what I've read, the majority on the forum take the butt off when it probes like butter or the bone is easily removed by hand.

Like I said earlier, the only mistakes with pulled pork I've made is pulling to early. Tasted fine, just wasn't easy to pull.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @stemc33 I totally agree.  temp is a guide as you learn the feel
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @legume  

Dude you are SO right about Hawaiian rolls and pulled pork. PERFECTION.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Peanut butter???? Interesting idea, but can't try it at my house dye to the little chick that runs around like a banshee is allergic to PB. Imagine no Reece's PB Cups!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!