Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

OT - Super coolers

Just curious how the smaller super coolers - Yeti, Engel, Pelican,etc. - would stack up to a Cambro of about equal size.  I am thinking one for the 12x20x8" pan size that you often see caterers use.  Not really concerned so much about the ruggedness but more about cold retention.  I know most of the coolers are very good in this area but Cambro has been doing the hot/cold thing for many years.  Any thoughts or better yet direct experience?
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 14,100
    edited July 28
    I have both the 45 and the smaller Roadie in Yeti. Very good coolers.They are just like @henapple, goes both ways (hot or cold)...... For what you are looking for you might want to look at Polar Bear Softsides. Have a couple of them and they are very good 24 hour hot or cool coolers.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 760
    edited July 28
    @Griffin

Good one G!

Looking at that picture I had thoughts of buying 2 of the Styrofoam coolers that you see stacked in stores and leave them nested together, then also stacking the lids atop one another.  It would double the insulation on most of the cooler and might actually work quite well for my purposes.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,167
    Mickey said:
    I have both the 45 and the smaller Roadie in Yeti. Very good coolers.They are just like @henapple, goes both ways (hot or cold)...... For what you are looking for you might want to look at Polar Bear Softsides. Have a couple of them and they are very good 24 hour hot or cool coolers.

I saw what you did there Mick.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,234
    Mickey said:

Little Mickey is getting real brave in his retirement years.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,675
    Photo Egg said:
    Mickey said:

Little Mickey is getting real brave in his retirement years.lol
    Well, he did just travel the country. Rocking out with his Little Mickey out.
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,661
    edited July 30
    I am about to pull the trigger on a roadie. $200 new shipped.
    Lots of day trips and outings with kids where I pack lunches/drinks. It looks fun for packing beer to hang with a buddy on the weekend. Road trips .

First it was the mini , following Mickeys posts now it might be a yeti sheesh.
    Seattle, WA
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,474
    @SkinnyV,

$200 is alot for a little Roadie.  I looked long at Zac Brown Band's edition Roadie, but bought a 35qt Pelican for the same price on amazon.  Perfect for complimenting the fridge in the camper.  May even get a cheap dorm fridge to keep outside for drinks, then use the Pelican for food.  The Pelican is small enough to put on a wagon at the farmer's market.  They are heavy, even more so when loaded.  For that reason, I'm happy with the 35qt size.    

You may want to look into the next size up Yeti.  Seems like for your intended use, you will not benefit from the hybrid cooler capabilities.  A classic Playmate would get the job done for 10% of a Roadie.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

• henapplehenapple Posts: 11,043
    Mickey said:

The thing about me though @Mickey is I go both ways at the same time. Your yeti can't do that...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,100
    henapple said:
    The thing about me though @Mickey is I go both ways at the same time. Your yeti can't do that...
    I love you man.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• henapplehenapple Posts: 11,043
    That's what they said
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • K2 cooler from the dent and scratch sale on their website.......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732