Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I should be good on lump for a while...

Options

Just got my first firecraft order in and it definitely won't be my last. I was really impressed with how quickly the free shipping got to my house. It beat the looftlighter I ordered off amazon prime at the same time. Now it's time to crack open a few of these bags and see what all the hype is about with Ozark Oak and Rockwood.

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    What will you order next weekend?

Garnerville, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    As soon as I saw the picture I knew it was a Firecraft order!   Enjoy!
    I did the same thing awhile back.  Love both the Rockwood and Ozark connection.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I also get my lump from Firecraft. I have never tried Ozark Oak, but I love Rockwood. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    going to order 8 bags of OO and one of Rockwood asap
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    wow, that must have been a big package.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2014
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    wow, that must have been a big package.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I love Rockwood! Have about 40 bags left!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options

I think the UPS guy would shoot me
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Currently . . . I pay $21.99 per bag (kamodo joe, 22 lbs bags) at Ace Hardware down the street.   

Would a FIRECRAFT order similar to yours SAVE me money? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    sorry for being lazy but I am driving and thinking about calling in an order . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Firecraft is 19.95 a bag 20 lbs  Ozark Oak is 10.95 for 10lbs  and order over 100 bucks worth free shipping.  I havent tried it yet so im going to order a bag with my Ozark Oak which IMO is the best lump made
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:
    Currently . . . I pay $21.99 per bag (kamodo joe, 22 lbs bags) at Ace Hardware down the street.   

Would a FIRECRAFT order similar to yours SAVE me money? 
    It's going to be about the same price($1/lb). I'd stick with supporting your local business.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I just ordered some as well.  Great shipping time.  Now to burn off that RO in the Egg - do a full clean and try the new lump.

Garnerville, NY
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Hey, the Rockwood man showed up at my house today too!image
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I think the UPS guy would shoot me

Well 30 of them were on a pallet that was loaded with a forklift at my business. I'm bringing it home a bag at a time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @NDG‌ I got 3 20lbs bag of Rockwood for $59.85 so it sounds like buying Rockwood would save you a few dollars (assuming you bought over $99 worth of lump in order to get the free shipping). The 6 10 lbs bag of ozark oak cost $65.70 so those would be about equal to the price your paying now (again with the free shipping).

The big difference though would be the quality of the lump. I haven't ever used Kamando Joe lump so I can't speak to the quality, however ozark Oak and Rockwood are widely viewed as the two best lumps around by many people on this forum.
  • NDG
    Options
    Appreciate you guys crunching the numbers for me . . . 

@eggcelsior - have you or anyone else ever used Kamado Joe (red bag) to compare with these premium Lumps (rockwood & O.O.)?  Kamado Joe is not reviewed on Naked Whiz's site.  I have been using it ever since my ACE got rid of Wicked Good.  I think its pretty decent stuff, but keeping my eyes open. 

I understand the "shop local" thing - but at the end of the day, the best product and best value wins.
    Columbus, OH

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fedex delivered my 6 bags of Rockwood today. All 6 bags were in good condition..Great job FireCraft..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have about 620lbs of lump in the garage, about 300lbs  of which is Rockwood. You will love the stuff. Its my favorite lump. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:

@eggcelsior - have you or anyone else ever used Kamado Joe (red bag) to compare with these premium Lumps (rockwood & O.O.)?  Kamado Joe is not reviewed on Naked Whiz's site.  I have been using it ever since my ACE got rid of Wicked Good.  I think its pretty decent stuff, but keeping my eyes open. 

I understand the "shop local" thing - but at the end of the day, the best product and best value wins.
    @NDG The red bagged KJ is apparently from South America and  are purported to be the former supplier for Wicked Good Charcoal. The brown bags are purported to be from the supplier that Rockwood gets their's from.For me, the best value is who gives me the best service. Being able to put a face with that is a bonus. If you don't like your Ace dealer, by all means, go with Firecraft.
  • NDG
    Options
    @eggcelsior . .  .you da man - thanks
    @chillywillis . . . you da man - thanks.
    Columbus, OH

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Let me know which you like best when you get to try them both. The @Biggreenpharmacist‌ just gave me some OO as a gift and I love it thus far.

@Thatgrimguy‌
    Where do you get Rockwood in our area if I may ask. I haven't ever saw it but would love to try it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dammit @YEMTrey‌ ..you beat me to it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    NDG said:

@NDG The red bagged KJ is apparently from South America and  are purported to be the former supplier for Wicked Good Charcoal. The brown bags are purported to be from the supplier that Rockwood gets their's from.For me, the best value is who gives me the best service. Being able to put a face with that is a bonus. If you don't like your Ace dealer, by all means, go with Firecraft.
    Agree. Buy local if you can get quality. Offer your dealer a 6 or 8 bag sale. He might deal.
    KJ dealer in Houston selling for $18.99 on the 22# bags. 

I have used 2 bags of the KJ red and it was outstanding. Harder to start than OO but burned long, clean and had very little ash. Best lump I have used so far. purchased bags months apart from different dealers and both were great. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DixieEGG
    DixieEGG Posts: 27
    Options
    Interesting reading about the lump.  The FEW people that I know that own Eggs swear by the BGE lump.  However, with my distributor I have option of BGE 10 or 20 LB bags or the Ozark Oak 10 LB.  Ozark costs about $1.75 less than BGE so will definitely be picking some up next time I go pick up Eggs to have as a cheaper option.  

As for the comments with online vs. local, obviously I am going to say support locally all you can.  Now, I understand if you want a specific product and it isn't available locally, but if the same product is available locally, and even if it is just a bit more, I encourage local purchases.  I have a good friend that had to shut down his company because he couldn't compete with online sales.  Local businesses mean so much more than what you see on the surface.  Think of the employed people they put in the market, the taxes they pay, etc.  I won't go deep here just saying, buy local any chance you get as your money turns over locally, and you don't see companies like Amazon sponsoring your local youth/sports/schools/bands/etc. do ya?  

Ok, off my soap box and will definitely try out some Ozark Oak, maybe in a live burn side-by-side with some BGE to see results and get some feedback.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @SGH no local source that I know of. Maybe ACE in Ocean Springs.  Compton and Sons on Pass in Gulfport has Wicked Good.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Thanks my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I used Firecraft for Rockwood and OO.  The only downside is I do end up with a lot of small pieces at the end of the bag.  I suspect they get crushed shipping in a normal box.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    I used Firecraft for Rockwood and OO.  The only downside is I do end up with a lot of small pieces at the end of the bag.  I suspect they get crushed shipping in a normal box.  
    This. That stuff is like glass, and bounces around alot during the shipping process. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    This. That stuff is like glass, and bounces around alot during the shipping process. 
    That's what I was afraid of. I felt a bit better when I saw it was only going from PA to MA. I'm burning off the last of the royal oak in my egg now and I'll be seeing what kind of shape the lump is in soon.