Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling All Butt Experts (Advice Needed)

Options
I have never cooked a butt, but I will be soon. I can't decide between a low and slow or a turbo. I also need advice concerning setup etc. 

Here is what I am thinking, but I get a little foggy on the exact procedure. Light the fire, put the platesetter in legs up. Put a barrier between the platesetter and the drip pin. Place the cooking grid and then the butt. Cook to 200 or so. 

I have a platesetter, but I have never used it. When exactly do I put it in? Do I wait until my fire gets to temp and then put it in or do I put it in just a few minutes after I light my fire. 

Also what wood should I use? I have apple chunks, cherry chips, and hickory chunks. I am thinking apple. When do you put your wood in? 

I am pretty sure that all I can get locally (I live in po' dunk) is going to be a boneless butt. Will that matter? 

I see some guys do fat cap up and others do fat cap down. What do you think? 

What about my rub? I have read till my head hurts, but I still can't decide. Some use mustard as a bonding agent some don't. I mainly use Dizzy Pig rubs. I do have Bad Byrons Butt Rub, but what do you guys like? I would prefer to not make a rub at least not yet. I would also prefer not to use mustard if I don't have to.  

Low and Slow versus Turbo. I know what they are, but I want to get the best results possible. What is the difference in the finished product? I have read on this forum that some posters think the turbo method will cause the pulled pork to have more fat than if it were cooked low and slow. What do you think? @mickey please chime in here. 

Is a good temp for low and slow 250? Is a good temp for turbo 350? 

I hate to ask so many questions, but I want to get this right. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My brain hurts :-?? First the Butt Rub is what I use and I still use mustard but thinking of not. So pick one, my vote is keep the mustard..... I have only used my platesetter a few more times than you. When used I put it in right after lighting and closing the lid. I would try and get a bone-in, but I want a bone in anything if I can get it. This is only slightly a harder cook than hotdogs, just longer. DON'T over think it please. I am very much into Turbo:TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have my best luck with butts at 250 degrees with platesetter and elevated drip pan (I use foil balls to create the air gap). I like to use Meathead's Memphis Dust for a nice sweet and flavorful bark. I always do fat down so I don't lose any bark stuck to the grid. 

I use chunks (hickory or hickory/apple most times) and put them mixed into the top of the lump after the fire gets going a little bit. Light your fire in one spot in the center so it starts slow and doesn't get out of control. Put it on after you have achieved a stable fire at 250 degrees. 

Keep it simple on your first try and don't worry too much about 50 degree temp swings but a fire at 200 degrees is much more likely to go out in my opinion. You will likely be very pleased with your results. Kick back and enjoy the cook.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Options
    Don't panic it's really hard to mess up a butt!
    I would go low and slow for your first. Cook at 200-225 degrees. I would use a meat thermometer to tell you when to pull the butt. I would pull mine at about 175-180 degrees internal temp,wrap it in foil and let it rest for 1 hour. This will most likely bring your temp to 190-195

You will be fine using a commercial rub

I cook mine fat side up if your going to pull it.

Get your fire going a little then add your wood chips before placing your plate setter and grade on. Get the egg set at the right temperature and then but your butt on. Cook it until it reaches the right internal temp.

I recommend hickory but you apple would be good too.

Bone is is best if you can find one.

Most important! Enjoy the cook! It will be good no matter what!

Good luck
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    You can try 200-225 but I can tell you from personal experience that even if you cook it between 240-275 it's going to turn out awesome too.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks guys. As you can tell I am "over thinking" this process. I am my worst critic. I don't want to mess up. 

I will be doing one soon. All the advice is greatly appreciated. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    As far as going turbo vs L&S, depends on how much time you have.  I have not personally done a turbo butt so I can speak on the fat content.  I do not use mustard, mostly b/c I have not noticed a difference with or without.  BB is a fine rub to use.  I would try and find one with a bone it, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.  I like them bone in b/c you can use it as an indicator if it's truly done.  I mix my chunks in while filling up with fuel.  I typically will go a mix of apple and oak or apple and hickory.  I put the plate setter in once the fire is lit.  If you bring it up to your temps first then put in the plate setter, this will drop your temps done a noticeable amount.  I typically shoot for 250, +/- 20.  I typically put fat down so if it sticks to the grate you are loosing bark or protein.  Done when done pulls out or feels like butta.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have done with and without mustard. Can't really tell a difference, so I go without now. 

I use bad byron's on butts. And I like apple wood personally

Put the plate setter in after the fire gets a chance to fully catch. Around 5 min.

I put fat cap down so I get a better bark. When I pull it off the grid, the fat usualy sticks to the grid. NO loss when it's just the fat cap

boneless v. Bone in is a toss up. Everyone who claims a difference is probably noticing one of the other variables. Bones don't impart any magic to meat to make it better.

Can't help you on turbo but 100+ forum members can't be wrong?  Personally I almost only eat it for my Sunday Funday's and want it at lunch time so I go low and slow at 225-275. Butts aren't temp sensitive. Just cook it till it's done and you will have a great butt.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    My best Butt has been 250 indirect, fat cap down. Unbelievable delicious bark on the top . Rubbed with mustard coated heavy with Bad Byrons Butt Rub , Pull at 203 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Hey @johnkitchens

Mustard here with Byron Butt Rub as well.  Typically go 250-260 and 1.5-1.75 hrs per pound for my last couple of butts.

I've foiled once when I was in a time crunch.

I've got the poor-man's platesetter..... I pizza stone on the grate with a raised rig over top of that.  Stone goes on after VOC's are gone; that's also when I add in chips on top of the lump/chunk mix that I like.  Recently for pork I have been using pecan wood for my smoke. 

Fat cap down mostly.  Have gotten a butt or two that have been fairly lean, so they land the way they land.... 

Several cold beverages are consumed during the process of lighting and stabilizing.  Typically butts go on at beer 5-6.  I trust my settings, so therefore I trust my egg to not flame-out.  After the meat is on, I'll watch my temps for an hour or so, then I'll call it a night.

Typically I'm in the stall by wake-up and its done by 1-2 PM; ready to FTC for dinner.

That's my M.O.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was gonna say stuff, but fishless pretty much nailed it. Save the mustard for a hot dog. Just a messy waste on a butt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice guys. I can't wait to try one. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I only use the mustard to hold the rub. I pat my Butts down pretty dry and it helps hold the rub. Adds absolutely nothing as far as flavor
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I go real basic. Koesher salt and pepper rub and low and slow around 250 dome until 195. As soon as I feel the fire is established I put in the plate setter, drip pan and rack and let it come up to temp. Usually takes 2 hours a pound give or take depending on the butt. I use hickory and sometimes toss in some apple. It is easy.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I've done both low & slow as well as Turbo.  I prefer L&S if time allows (but I also have a DigiQ).  Be sure to have the platesetter with one leg set directly towards the back of the egg.  With the air flow this will divert the hottest air towards the sides.  Also put platesetter, drip pan and grid in egg once fire is going so everything is up to temp when meat goes on.  I have used mustard but don't find it necessary since the packing moisture will hold rub just as well.  I use Byron's then sprinkle with a light coat of brown sugar.  My favorite rub is Happy Holla but don't know if you could find it in Louisville.  If doing Turbo, I wouldn't add sugar as I think the higher temps can cause it to scorch.  I always place fat cap up but don't have any reason other than because that's what I do.  Temp - I shoot for 225 L&S or 350 for Turbo.  I use hickory and/or peach wood.  I cook till internal temp hits 195-200, remove, wrap in foil then towel and place in cooler until ready to eat.  I've kept in cooler anywhere from 1-6 hours.  Hope this helps.  
    Dude, don't sweat it (easier said than done) - this will be the easiest cook you can do with one of the biggest payoffs!!!   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with fishless and Carolina q; keep it simple your first time out. I usually use dizzy dust on butts, but rub is absolutely personal preference. If you do l&s, let the egg settle in around 250, mine usually sits at 260 like a rock. Butts are forgiving, don't sweat the temp too much. I usually put the plate setter in late, that helps drop the temp if I overshoot a bit.

One thing I do differently is that I'll put the butt on a v rack in the drip pan, and set that on the grate. The rack has wider bars, so less bark sticks to it, and I've never had so much fat render that the bottom was submerged. I find that also helps with transport, I can just pull the v rack and don't need to worry about the butt pulling as I try to get it off the egg.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

+1 on the V/Rib rack. A butt with 2 handles, wow what a concept. Save the mustard, use a little EVO and salt and pepper.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the advice and feedback. That is what makes this forum so great. 

@mickey check your PM's. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I really appreciate all of the advice and feedback. That is what makes this forum so great. 

@mickey check your PM's. 
    Got it and back
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    Options
    Do yourself a favor look up Elder Ward's recipe. You won't be sorry 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I like to keep the platesetter out until my temp is about set.  Then if I overshoot, I can use the cool platesetter to help lower it a bit.

Anything below 300 is a fine temp.  I wouldn't mess with getting anywhere near 225.

I like the mustard, but I agree it doesn't really add flavor.

You will probably want to take it to 203 or so, in my experience.
    NOLA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'll have to try the v-rack on Friday.....  I like that idea!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hot n Fast just like @Mickey . 350 straight thru no foil. Rub with Butt Rub with mustard being a personal choice, I notice no difference with out it. Pull around 200-205 but only if the bone pulls clean or you probe it and it feels like hot Buttah. If you are crunched on time there is really no need for a rest on a butt but if ahead of schedule you can always FTC for several hours. This will be one of the easiest cooks you have done. Just make sure your egg is settled in at temp for about an hour before putting the meat on. If you have to chase the temps it will make for a long cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

IMHO Butts are very forgiving and it is hard to make a bad one.  Something bad has to happen, such as the fire going out, to ruin one.

You will be fine, trust the egg.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• AmericanFlannel
    Options
    easy recipe:
    1. rinse pork
    2. cover in French's Yellow Mustard
    3. completely cover it in Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head
    4. Start your fire, good lump with four chunks of cherry and/or sugar maple buried in there
    5. Put the pacesetter in and get it to 235ish and thin blue smoke
    6. put the pork on there fat side down and don't peak until you think it's at 205 degrees (figure 1.5 to 2 hours a pound)

eat best pork ever.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌
    Have you done cooked the butt? If you haven't I will be glad to do a write up for you after while my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I bet john's head is about to explode. He may be ready to order a pizza and call it a day.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I think I'm going to do a write up for him either way. He is one of the real good guys.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    He's one of my favorites as well.

Little Rock, AR

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    This one's pretty tough to screw up as long as you cook it to temp.  The hardest part for me has been giving myself enough time so it's not down to the wire at the end of the cook.

Dive in and try it.  This is one of those situations where perfect is the enemy of good.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI