Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carbon Steel Wok Seasoning

Options
I just received my new Carbon Steel Wok yesterday!  I was planning on using it today but after doing a little research I see people putting it in a 550 degree oven then letting it cool and repeating that process 3-6 times.  While others are not seasoning it at all.  

Does anybody have a suggestion for the seasoning process for the Carbon Steel Wok?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am in the season first camp. My first attempt at seasoning my wok was a failure and the cook was a just as bad failure. It gets more seasoned each use. I used this video the second time and it worked great http://youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Here's one way for consideration:

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice @mattman3969 & @nolan8v
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Options
    I just bought one from Amazon, reviews said the factory coating MUST be burned off, then season it. I gave it an hour in the gasser at 600, then 3 25 minute rounds of crisco at 400. Finished off by stir frying onions which I tossed. Based on all the reviews, I should be all set.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • butert
    Options
    Update:  I just tried to season my wok on my XL.  I burned off the factory oil, then put vegetable oil in the wok with some potatoes and cooked it for roughly 1 min.  I repeated this 5 times and every time within one minute my potatoes were BLACK!!  I was constantly moving them around.

I tired once with peanut oil and got the same result.

Is the oil burning that fast causing everything to turn BLACK?

Or is my wok not seasoned enough yet?  
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Did you wipe out the wok before cooking in it?

Buy some cheap scallions at your local Asian market and cook a few rounds of those, scrubbing the inside of the wok as you go with the greens. It'll season and clean at the same time.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I tried my wok once and failed miserably.  Burned it off at 500 degrees in the Egg.  Then coated with oil (Canola maybe - I know its not high heat oil).  Coated and burned in ~15 minutes for 5 times.  They tried a cook on it.   Chicken and veggies - horrible taste and the Wok stayed silver.

Its been in the attic rusting away for over a year.

Can it be salvaged?  Should I sand/wire brush it to remove the rust?

I am still afraid of cooking with the Egg opened and the inferno coming out of it at 600 degrees on my wooden deck. 

Garnerville, NY
  • butert
    Options
    MaskedMarvelnolan8v suggested.   The only thing I changed was I did it on the egg and not the stove.  Could that be causing my problem?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    1) wash wok with hot soapy water. Rinse. Dry. 2) light lump in egg or kettle until most coals are well lit. 3) place wok directly on coals to heat well. 4) remove from heat and coat inside and out with peanut oil. Light coat is plenty. 5) return to coals and wait for the part touching the lump to turn black. When it does, rock the wok a bit so another section is touching the coals. Continue until entire wok is black. This should take only a few minutes. 6) when done, add a little more oil and stir fry some scallions until they are black. Discard. That's it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• butert
    Options
    Carolina Q, will your method still work if I've already attempted to seaosn it?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    butert said:

Beats me. Never tried to season partially seasoned wok. Don't see why it would hurt though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's my cast iron wok, before and after seasoning. Scroll down to my post (sorry, on iPhone and having tbl with pics). http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1440383#Comment_1440383

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    butert said:

That method looks good to me too, but I never had seasoning issues with my wok. Good luck!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!