Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eating, and drinking, your way through IA.....a RAGBRAI experience

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
RAGBRAI was first started in 1973 by a Des Moines Register columnist interested in riding his bike through IA.  120 people accompanied him.  It is the oldest and longest organized bicycle ride..seven days during the last week of July.  The west to east ride was to allow for tailwinds and sun at your back towards the end of the day.  This year was over 20000 registered riders, a few thousand one day riders, and countless "bandits" who ride without a tag.   

The rules....

RAGBRAI is a combination of bike rally, camping trip, carnival, state fair, culinary tour hahaha.  Was talking with a nice churchlady in Ringsted, IA over breakfast at the American Legion on a windy(20-30mph) 80 mile day.  Many towns, like Ringsted, refuse to allow vendors into their towns.  The biscuits and gravy, rhubarb pie were all made from scratch.  Pie is a staple and sought after at all times of the day.  It was tough to pick an all out favorite, but this slice of rhubarb and the raisin creme pie we heard the health dept didn't allow them to serve due to the eggs were at the top.  My riding partner, nursebuddy did some talking to convince the ladies in Rock Valley to give us a couple of slices on the dl, hahaha.

RAGBRAI averages around 60-70 miles per day, totalling 400-500 miles.  Using your body as a machine has it's benefits, requiring increased consumption of food, and alcohol hehe. 

It would be nothing without the love and support of the IA townspeople.  So much work goes into catering meals.  We had lasagna, pasta bar, beef and noodles, roast beef, pulled pork, etc.  The highlight was Carl Blake's pork in Waverly.  Carl was on Steve Colbert's show and is breeding Meishan pigs he acquired from IA State U and Russian Wild Boars.  Carl produces some of the best pork in the country.  Chatted with him for a bit, super nice guy.  Here he is serving up some pulled pork with the local Boy Scout troop at the church.  Meal was completed with some of my favorite rhubarb, a scoop of vanilla, and coffee.

A shot of some pies on the ready in Ringsted

The largest city on the route this year was Mason City, which isn't really large.  This is a shot of RAGBRAI at about half throttle.  Full throttle is when you have to get off your bike a quarter mile back from where I took this pic.  It is a tradition to stop and and at least walk through pass through town.  You don't have to buy something, but it's a nice break out of the saddle.  Always made it a point to top off my water bottles and try to eat something passing through each town.  

Vendors set up their stands along the country roads on farms, with permission.  Talking with some of the vet RAGBRAIers in my camp, they helped me spot the legendary vendors along the route.  First up is Beekman's Amish Ice Cream.  This stuff was unbelievable, and without a doubt, my favorite vendor item.  The strong vanilla flavor and grittiness reminded me of my grandpa's hand crank ice cream barrel.  In the pics, you can see the line snake all the way along the road.  Glad I got there early.  

Next up is Mr. Porkchop.  Really nice guys, pretty easy to spot on the road.  For 8 bucks, they hand you a smoked boneless chop wrapped in paper towels.  Was at least 1 1/2" thick, good protein at any time of the day.  

The homeowner of the day's Mr Porkchop stand we chatted with is in the bottom right, navy shirt.

Another vendor I was told to visit is Smoothie Revolution.  These were excellent, healthy and refreshing especially during the early part of the day.  Was also told to ask for an Iowa Sunset, a mix of their mango and strawberry flavors.

Jose's griddled tacos were delish, chicken or beef, 3 bucks.

Many ice cold watermelon and pickle stands scattered throughout.  Pickles help with the muscles.  

Comp teams were smokin' up plenty of brisket.  Sliced was from a Kansas team, and burnt ends from KC, pretty damn good and only 100ft from our campsite.  

Loaded ribeye and eggs breakfast to start day 4, cooked over charcoal.

Had an epic moment on the bus ride to start.  Discovered I forgot my tent, lmao.  Walked into a True Value in Rock Valley and they jacked up the prices on their Coleman tents, wanting $175 for a six-person.  Left purchasing a 9'x12' 2mil roll of plastic from the paint dept for a total of $5.13.  Figured if weather permits, I will sleep without a tent.  Plan B was to have my friend who is driving a support vehicle for a team, grab a tent and meet her in the meeting town that day.  As you can see, I took my chances, and followed the weather closely.  Temporary homeless shelter consisted of finding a tree at each campsite if possible, plastic tarp, sleeping bag styrofoam mat, then Tommy Hilfiger comforter.  Believe it or not, I slept all 6 nights like this.  Day 6 we had to wake up an hour early to pack our stuff dry before the storm rolled in.  We took shelter briefly at Wartburg College in Waverly.  Here is a shot somewhere along the banks of Lake Okoboji, disposable urinal and all, lmao.  I was the talk of the campground, we had fun. image

This entire journey was a step outside of the comfort zone.  Bugs, spiders, even frogs visited.

Showers and laundry were a luxury, sometimes simultaneous, and in Kum And Go gas station bathrooms.

But in the end, it was all worth it. Tradition is to dip your back tire in the Missouri River or it's tributaries, and then after completion, front tire in the Mississippi River.

imageimage   

Thanks for letting me share such an epic, soul rejuvenating journey.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    That is an EPIC tale.  A pork chop in a paper towel. Doesn't get any more authentic than that.

I have friends who have done RAGBRAI, and hope I might some day.  

Well done, friend!  
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Focker
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Carolina Crazy,

Thanks.  The most physically and mentally challenging task I've done.  At least a half dozen times I was ready to shut it down, but carried on.  Rode in rain at 60 degrees for 4 hours on Friday morning.  EMS were treating hypothermia, crazy.  Had to take shelter in a small church in Bremer County.  Winds were consistent, not gusts, at 30mph.  Avg speed was only 6mph.  Remembering having to pedal on a slight decline, and I weigh 300lbs.  I was sitting next to the altar.  They deserved a nice donation for the shelter, coffee, and banana.  

This was about halfway through the climb on the following final day.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    What a day!!! I'd happily take a burnt end sammie!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Options
    @cazzy,

Was nice to eat some quality beef done right in hog country.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You met the churchlady!

Well isn't that special!

By the way, you way 300 lbs? How tall are you?
  • Focker
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @ Eggcelsior,

There is more than one of them. And I'm sure they'd chase out some vendors, rolling pins in hand. 
    >:)

6' 4"

I lost one lb during RAGBRAI.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2014
    Options
    This was the first time I had to change oil in my new (to me) truck. I use to run my old truck with 10W-30 motor oil so without thinking I picked up some 10W-30 when at the store. After dumping the old oil and changing out the filters I go to put in the new oil and what do I see......5W-20 on the oil cap. Dang it! Since I already drained the oil I couldn't drive anywhere. Being this was the first time the truck was switching over to synthetic oil I didn't want to confuse it even more with the wrong weight. So I had to jump on my bicycle and do a 4 mile round trip to the auto store. I'm soooooo out of shape. Bikes don't lie. My legs were about to fall off. Four measly miles!!! I can't even imagine 60+ in a day. What a great accomplishment! All I can say is wow!!!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Your pics brought back some awesome memories!

I worked in Iowa City 2006-2009, and remember RAGBRAI and the SAG buses well. One year it swung through North Liberty (where we lived) and I got my fill of Mr. Pork Chop, the pie/church ladies and walking tacos. 

I miss many things from our time in Iowa... not the winters though ! :)

Thanks so much for sharing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

Trust me, Brandon is one big "boy"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hey bud. Sounds like a great adventure! Can't believe you only lost one lousy pound!! Maybe one of these years, I'll give it a try. Unless there's an age limit. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Hey, buddy - Thanks for sharing your story complete with pictures! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:

I saw him in his bike duds and thought" no way ". I'm an inch taller but 40 lbs lighter.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

That's a great story and pics.  Thanks for sharing. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    thanks for sharing a great story.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    What a great post.  I felt like I was there with you.  

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    Wow looks like a great time!
    Aurora,OH
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    This brings back a lot memories of when I worked up in Iowa for my company in the summer. Some of the riders stayed at the hotel I was staffing at for work. I remember some very hot days when people were riding. Thank You for sharing.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I did RAGBRAI 82-83-84 while I was racing bikes in college.  Had a  hell of a time, great folks all along the way.

Congrats on getting it done!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I haven't killed the brain cell, yet, with the "RAGBRAI" acronym in it (I attended ISU in Ames from '78 to '80).  Thanks for the jog!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Focker - nice post with a great representation of what RAGBRAI really is. Congrats on completing the ride. I used to do it every year  but my job just doesn't allow it anymore (time constraints). I sure miss Mr. Porkchop - those tender chops smoked over corncobs are simply fantastic. I also miss the Farmboys Breakfast Burritos as they are a great cure for a hangover. Hard for most people to believe but I sometimes gained weight by the end of the ride from all the beer, chops, burritos, church-lady pies, etc... Great times for sure.

To all of you that think it's an impossible feat, no matter what kind of shape you're in, I would encourage you to add it to your bucket list. It's a challenge for sure but worth it in all the great experiences you'll have. There's just nothing like it. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63
    Options

I have always wanted to participate in RAGBRAI, but it is nearly impossible for me to take an entire week off of work. Additionally, it seems like you need to ride with a team with some form of transportation other than the bike (just in case).

The people that put on RAGBRAI also do a winter ride called the BRR ride. I have done this one several times. The ride usually is about 27 miles total but since it takes place in late January/early February, I have heard that 27 miles is about equally taxing on your body as 70 miles is in the summer.

Check out the BRR ride next year, you might enjoy it.

http://archive.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=D2&Dato=20140201&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=402010805&Ref=PH

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    All I can remember is the slide for life on a barroom floor with pitchers of beer being tossed as a lubricant to prevent floor burns.  But I have slept since then so it may only be a dream.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    This was the first time I had to change oil in my new (to me) truck. I use to run my old truck with 10W-30 motor oil so without thinking I picked up some 10W-30 when at the store. After dumping the old oil and changing out the filters I go to put in the new oil and what do I see......5W-20 on the oil cap. Dang it! Since I already drained the oil I couldn't drive anywhere. Being this was the first time the truck was switching over to synthetic oil I didn't want to confuse it even more with the wrong weight. So I had to jump on my bicycle and do a 4 mile round trip to the auto store. I'm soooooo out of shape. Bikes don't lie. My legs were about to fall off. Four measly miles!!! I can't even imagine 60+ in a day. What a great accomplishment! All I can say is wow!!!
    Thanks V, once you get on the road habitually, the legs get strong quickly.  4 miles turns to 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 50.  Another thing equally important is saddle time.  Like your truck, routine taintenance is critical.  Used a great product called dz nuts.  No saddle sores at all, and even used it on my tightened up left hamstring on the cold/wet/windy day.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Your pics brought back some awesome memories!

I worked in Iowa City 2006-2009, and remember RAGBRAI and the SAG buses well. One year it swung through North Liberty (where we lived) and I got my fill of Mr. Pork Chop, the pie/church ladies and walking tacos. 

I miss many things from our time in Iowa... not the winters though ! :)

Thanks so much for sharing. 
    Thanks @caliking,

North Liberty is a nice town.  Good, solid, peeps.  The winters are getting old for me as well.  Glad you could get a taste of RAGBRAI while here.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Dang it Brandon, you were 10 miles from my house and I would have gladly let you take my tent for the week, wish I would have known you were coming. You could have crashed at my place on Saturday night with the other 6 people. Gave them a place to sleep inside, shower if needed and pulled pork off the egg for supper. Sounds like a good time and your are definitly an IRON MAN!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Focker
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hey bud. Sounds like a great adventure! Can't believe you only lost one lousy pound!! Maybe one of these years, I'll give it a try. Unless there's an age limit. :D
    Someone said over beers at the campground that this year's average age is 59.  Thought it would be younger.  Talked to a 72 year old gentleman from Dallas doing his first RAGBRAI too.  Helped another lady who crashed with a broken collarbone, had to have been in her late 60s.  She was in so much pain, asking her was not a priority at that time.  Had a personal best top speed of 32.6mph,  riding both brakes heeeheee.  Had a great time riding in the draft line with Team Air Force, was over 20 of us wheel-to-wheel in the left lane, hammered down at 21mph. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• dougengel
    dougengel Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your adventure! I have friends who have ridden RAGBRAI and have heard all kinds of stories - definitely on the "things to do" list for me!  Looks like one of those rides where you end up gaining weight with all of that good home cooking!
    Doug E. Charlotte, NC Cyclist, IPA fan, World Traveler
  • Focker
    edited July 2014
    Options

I saw him in his bike duds and thought" no way ". I'm an inch taller but 40 lbs lighter.
    All shapes and sizes at RAGBRAI man.  Couldn't figure out why I tolerated it so well.  The highest time and mileage I could allow during training was 4-5 hours and 50 miles.  Didn't have to resort to Nabumetone and 7.5 Lortabs until Friday night.  Figured it was nurse's legs, and running my ass off in the hospital for 13 hours a day without a break.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited July 2014
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @Focker - nice post with a great representation of what RAGBRAI really is. Congrats on completing the ride. I used to do it every year  but my job just doesn't allow it anymore (time constraints). I sure miss Mr. Porkchop - those tender chops smoked over corncobs are simply fantastic. I also miss the Farmboys Breakfast Burritos as they are a great cure for a hangover. Hard for most people to believe but I sometimes gained weight by the end of the ride from all the beer, chops, burritos, church-lady pies, etc... Great times for sure.

To all of you that think it's an impossible feat, no matter what kind of shape you're in, I would encourage you to add it to your bucket list. It's a challenge for sure but worth it in all the great experiences you'll have. There's just nothing like it. 
    Thanks @minniemoh, nicely put.

Farmboys' buritos looked awesome.  For some reason, I missed them by choosing something else first, or long lines.  The organic coffee was a guranteed stop each morning.  We usually hit the road by 0530, packing our stuff with flashlights.  Beautiful riding in IA at sunrise.  

Lake Okoboji

So many interesting modes of transport:  Recumbents, Tadpoles, banana boat, yellow submarine, tandems.  One team rode RAGBRAI with the fat, knobby, tires that are gaining in popularity.  Guy said it added 40lbs.    

Best team name:  Perineum Falcons
    Best team jersey:  No whiners
    All of the team Blue Bird buses were awesome.  Hard to pick one.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great post. That dude in the "off-the-shoulder" John Deere Overalls looked less than pleased to have his photo taken. My company makes those overalls. We send a lot to Iowa :))

super sweet socks too BTW.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX