Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komado Joe at Costco (pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Hey I love my BGE but would consider anything that makes the best food.  I'm curious what the people who have used both consider are the pluses and minuses to KJ and BGE.  What's the biggest draw to KJ's that would make me consider not getting an new BGE if needed?

I don't think there is anything wrong with this discussion whatsoever.  Nobody's here saying BGE sucks, just pointing out a relevant item to the ceramic cooking gurus here.  

^^^this^^^
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited July 2014
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Hey I love my BGE but would consider anything that makes the best food.  I'm curious what the people who have used both consider are the pluses and minuses to KJ and BGE.  What's the biggest draw to KJ's that would make me consider not getting an new BGE if needed?

I don't think there is anything wrong with this discussion whatsoever.  Nobody's here saying BGE sucks, just pointing out a relevant item to the ceramic cooking gurus here.  
    I own both and spent a lot of time looking at BGE, KJ and Primo as an addition to my beloved Mini BGE, so can say that the KJ has better "fit and finish" - better hinge, gasket, tables (bamboo vs. plastic), handle (ditto), nest, powder coated steel and a lot of nice innovations including pull out ash drawer (on Classic - not sure about Big Joe), "Divide and Conquer" two-sided / two tiered cooking system, and (someday if it's not a two headed mythical unicorn) very nice wireless pit controller called the BBQ Wizard.  (This has been announced but "in development" for far longer than anyone expected - kinda like the Mini Max!)

It's also about $250 cheaper than a comparably configured BGE.

Why NOT to buy a KJ - this forum blows theirs away by leaps and bounds..seems like a small(er) company that bit off more than they can chew and really don't get things to market as well as they should (my KJ as well as many others came without a lot of the parts for the D&C and it took MONTHS to get the right part, as they were apparently still on a boat from China).  I also got the feeling on more than one occasion that they are just plain overworked and understaffed, although when you do get ahold of them they are quite responsive and helpful.

That said, the Kamado IS very nice quality and appears to cook identically to a BGE.  We've had awesome food (and not so awesome food) off both my Mini BGE and the KJ, although the Mini uses about 1/20th the lump of the KJ also.  (For whatever reason, RO burns quickly and down to just about nothing in my KJ..I do seem to have a somewhat loose top dome on the dollar bill test and perhaps that's why..but no smoke coming out from the gasket area so who knows..)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

It looks to me like this is not a Costco item, but a Road Show sale.  Costco rents floor space to various product manufacturers to give them exposure.  Sometimes it seems that they are evaluating product sales for possible inclusion in their product line.  Getting selected by Costco for inclusion in the product line is like hitting the lottery.

Santa Paula, CA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Looks like this thread is already getting pushed down by the moderators...
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks for the insight SmokyBear.  Hopefully, I'm many years from even having to consider another grill and I can continue to be happy with my large BGE.  Interesting about the lump burning.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ceramic cookers will cook in a similar manner. Heck, you can make the equivalent out of a couple of flower pots and get good results. They are all essentially big, bulky, fragile items. What will set them apart is warranty, customer service, and support. The KJ sounds like it has big pluses, and if they can provide the kind of warranty and customer service that BGE (usually) does, then they will do well. Its good to have competition - the customer wins.

As far as selling through Costco, their retruns/service policies are awesome. Many BGE dealers don't really know much about the product (mine included), so I wouldn't be worried about the Costco folks not knowing about the cooker... that's why Al Gore invented the internet - to look up information. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    The road sale came to my local Birmingham Costco and the Jr did look nice. I bought some of there charcoal and really like it.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options

LMAO!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @thailandjohn‌
    Just curious. Do you know if the bands and hinges on the Joes will work on the BGE or not ?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    I don't know, but that would be nice if they would work on the BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @thailandjohn‌
    Did you notice that this thread stopped bumping???

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I wonder if a joe jr would be a great choice? The mini/max is taking too long!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario