Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official Chicken Wing Throwdown Post

Options

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Here's my entry. Decided to use a little of my childhood growing up in South Texas as an influence.

Fajita Chicken Wings with a Creamy Chipotle Dipping Sauce.

400 raised direct.

Tater tots and a New Belgium Ranger IPA on the side. Mexican rice probably would have been a better choice, but :x me some tots.

Obligatory bone shot.

Hope everybody had as much fun as I did and as long as you're having fun, you're all winners in my book. You guys have put out some great cooks. Can't wait to try a few. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    Options
    here is my post since I couldn't cook tonight
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2014
    Options
    So it's just me and the dogs tonight...the wife is going to be pissed I did wings while she was gone. Dusted the wings with some of the home made wings rub. image While the wings were cooking made some sweet and spicy Sriracha sauce to put on half of the wings. image Basted the sauce on for the last ten minuets. Then pulled. Used cherry for smoke. image Some of the most tender/crisp I've done to date. image Even though Griff beat me to it I'm going to post it anyways. image Sorry, for some reason can't get thumbnails to delete from post.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Here is mine , I did 12 whole wings 4 with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, 4 with Dizzy Pig Raging River and 4 with Texas Chicken Tickler. My wife liked the Tickler , my 16 yo Son liked the Raging River and my favorite was the Swamp Venom. Non of us are big sauce people we all prefer the dry rubs. I cooked them raised indirect at 400.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ ..can you explain how to shape the pop?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    Sorry @Griffin
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Bump
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    They all look like winners to me. Excellent job fellows! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    Options
    They gone...
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    All you folks cooked some great wings my friends... I especially like the Hooter girls!!! Awesome
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    These look awesome! I didn't do any wings today but recently discovered that the local chicken processing plant has a retail store. Legs and thighs are $1.30/pound! They also have fresh cut wings all of the time! Never frozen. Can't wait until my next wing cook.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    imageimageimageimage
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Went indirect around 350 wife's had tsunami spin , mine had Albakirky red chile powder rub cooked till done took off plate setter threw mine back on direct to set the sauce after I spun mine in butter and franks red hot. Steamed a head of cauliflower put in food processor with butter and milk to make a healthier version of mashed potatoes Roasted some corn on the cob with butter and the Albakirky red chilie powder SWMBO made some homemade guacamole The ice pack is for my three burned fingers on my left hand successfully removed plate setter but when I went I return it to the egg ( looked like rain was coming didn't want hot plate setter rained on ) I received 3 nice blisters :( Burned through my leather gloves and a folded towel Dinner was delicious though
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's no wing, are you trying to cheat? :)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bump
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    That's no wing, are you trying to cheat? :)

there were a couple of quarters on there too :).
  • Mickey
    Options
    Bump
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Who won?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I vote for smoky pitt's lollipops. Those l look awesome.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    @saluki 2007
    What is the recipe for that sauce. Those wings look good.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Griffin
    Options
    Some people can't read. Voting ends 11:59 pm central time just cuz that's where I live.

Rowlett, Texas

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    My Thai style wings image

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I know voting is done it I want them all!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin
    edited August 2014
    Options

The whole point of the throwdown was to have fun and in that, I think we succeeded. So a big round of applause to all those who stepped up.

There were a few snags For some reason, I can no longer see on my computer who LIKED each post. I know some people voted more than once before that feature disappeared, but there is nothing I can do about that now. Some people just can't follow rules.

What I never anticipated was a tie. @Dyal_SC and SmokeyPitt both received 16 votes when I checked (and @Mickey came in a respectable 3rd with 9)

I guess I could break the tie, since somehow I forgot to vote. But I don’t think that would be fair. I feel like I would be a bit biased. While I like them both, I would have to point out that Dyal and I have been friends a long time, even before coming to this forum. We call, text and facebook. We know of things going on in each others lives outside of Egging. So I don’t think I could be impartial.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

We could just have them be Co-Wing Kings. That’d be up to them.

Or we could make them have a sudden death throwdown. Both cook something over the weekend. Again, they would have to agree to that.

Me? I like the Co-Wing King deal….

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Your contest, your rules my friend. Thanks for the fun. Next cook I have two new ways to try wings now.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @Griffin I guess the signature has to change either way. That was a good one! It was definitely fun t see all the varieties of wings. I got lots of good ideas to jazz up an other wise basic cook.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    As of now @Dyal_SC has 17 so I say we crown him the Wing King!   This was fun and I enjoyed all the recipes. 

@TexasWig those Thai Style wings look incredible.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ , I am honored to share the throne with you my friend. :D Everyone's wings looked phenomenal.