Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil Ideas

I've got a 2.25 lb London broil that is about 1.5 inches thick. Is this a good choice for reverse sear? Never done that before. Advice and suggestions welcome!
Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• My London Broils never turn out good. Any advice?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I don't reverse sear a piece of meat that thin.  I just have a couple of marinades we use and then get the Egg up to 500 - 550 and flip it a few times and pull.   Nice med rare in the middle.  Cut on bias and across the grain.   Feed the whole family (4) for about $14 - $16 of meat.  Hard to beat that.   Good luck.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

Cook direct 450-500, turning a few times  This IMHO is not a piece to be reverse seared.

.Beef, London Broil, Rusty Rooster

INGREDIENTS:
    1 London broil, covered with seasoning salt and pepper
    Marinade
    1 cup cooking oil
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/8 cup Worcestershire

Procedure

1. Pour marinade ingredients in a zip bag & mix. Then add meat and be sure it is well covered. Squeeze out the air and refrigerate turning every few hours. Try to marinade at least eight hours, 24 will be better.

2. Cook direct to your desired doneness, remembering that this is a lean cut & it will be tougher the more it is cooked.

3. As soon as you remove the meat from the marinade, let it set a minute and the oil will separate. Pour off as much of the oil as you can then put the rest in a small pan. Cook to kill anything from the meat and to slightly thicken. Your microwave, stovetop or egg will all do this equally.

4. When the meat is done, slice it thinly across the grain and serve with the cooked marinade as gravy.

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish

Source
    Author: Tom and Karen Chamberlain (Rusty Rooster)
    Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '08, Rusty Rooster

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Just did one today... Montreal steak seasoning. Seared down low for about 8min a side and then did raised direct 4min a side flipping until the IT was 138. Turned out fantastic.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I marinade in a mix of oil, garlic, soy sauce and honey. Raised direct around 400 to desired doneness. The sugar in the honey gives a nice bark. Slice very thin against the grain.
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I was on vacation recently (rental house) and was seriously let down when I saw the state of the grills they had and even worse when looking around the meat dept. at the nearby big-chain grocery store.  I didn't see anything I'd even want to grill had the grills been usable.

Anyway, they did have a nice selection of meats labeled "london broil" which is something I'd never cooked before.  I bought one and then googled what to do with it.  I marinated one in a mix of Italian salad dressing and a bit of my home made rub that I'd brought along and broiled it in the oven.  The trick with this stuff is to cut it as thin as you can.  Do that, and it's really not bad.  It fed 3 adults 1 dinner, and I made a couple of sandwiches out of the rest.  Kind of like roast beef.

If I was to do one in the egg, I'd probably go real hot indirect to keep from charring it.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    marinate in chimichurry sauce (parsley pesto-like) 
    remove excess sauce before cooking
    cooked hot (5-600) to your doneness
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

+1 with njl using Italian salad dressing for marinade.

I've done that for years to marinate meat for shish kabob.  It's very good. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • susanshaw
    susanshaw Posts: 18
    Not sure about the reference above to a piece of meat that thin - maybe the term varies around the country but where I am (mid-atlantic region) it's generally about 2 inches thick. Did my first BGE london broil tonight. Didn't have time for a marinade so mixed the following and spread on both sides: 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, 2 cloves garlic (chopped), 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (chopped), ground pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil. Following a suggestion somewhere on BGE, cooked at 300 degrees 8 minutes/side, then 400-450 for 4 minutes/side. Ended up a little past medium-rare but still pink; next time I'll cut the time by a little bit. Definitely good though; not sure why there are some many LB haters on here :)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    susanshaw said:

Not sure about the reference above to a piece of meat that thin - maybe the term varies around the country but where I am (mid-atlantic region) it's generally about 2 inches thick. Did my first BGE london broil tonight. Didn't have time for a marinade so mixed the following and spread on both sides: 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, 2 cloves garlic (chopped), 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (chopped), ground pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil. Following a suggestion somewhere on BGE, cooked at 300 degrees 8 minutes/side, then 400-450 for 4 minutes/side. Ended up a little past medium-rare but still pink; next time I'll cut the time by a little bit. Definitely good though; not sure why there are some many LB haters on here :)

Love this cut... Always turns out good and you can cook 3 of them and have plenty of good beef for a lot of guests. Never has anyone turn it away.