Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How portable is a Small ?

Options
For those of you that have a small, how easy is it to travel. Among all the Mini-Max chatter I still think I want my second Egg to be a small. I will mainly use it as a second Egg but would like to be able to take it with me to family gatherings, camping, etc occasionally. Thanks!
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My small weighs 77 pounds which may sound heavy, but I use a sling called a PotLifter which permits me to carry it by myself like a duffle bag. Two people makes handling it even easier. Let me find a picture...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    It's very portable, doesn't weigh much and just toss it i the back seat with a seat belt and good to go.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Picture of my small with PotLifter.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    It's not bad. You just need some sort of carrier IMO. What RRP posted or an Egg Carten
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @RRP is that something you made or ordered? @Thatgrimguy is the Egg Carten available for SBGE? For some reason I thought that was a mini only product.
    Columbus IN
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Ahh think I just found it on amazon @RRP
    Columbus IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @egghead_daron I have one for my small. It's from the original production. 

the original design was even based on a small! I just checked, he still makes them for a small.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy. I will have to check into that. Thanks for the info. Good luck with the wings.
    Columbus IN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you can't lift 70 lbs get your wife to help. .. :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    That kind of hurt @henapple But I can't argue that at all. I am just getting excited to have a second Egg. I am pretty sure when I get it I better be able to lift it myself cause I'm not sure she is going to like the idea. She probably won't help.
    :))
    Columbus IN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I lift mine with no problem, and I'm a small fat guy. But you can always take out guts and its very light then. I haul mine around a lot.

Little Rock, AR

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Biggest problem with the small for me is choosing which friend of mine has to drive himself or get another ride because the Egg takes up a seatbelt.  :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I took my Small to my first and only barbeque competition, and had to lift it into/out of my truck at home by myself.
    I put one arm around the middle, just under the hinge, and then lifted with my other hand (wearing my platesetter glove) with two fingers into the Intake hole.  Not recommended.  Lifting 77 lbs ain't so bad, but doing it with, basically, two fingers wasn't smart.  
    Moving it at the competition, with a helper, was cake.  That pot/sling thing above looks like a good idea.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have an egg carten. I move my small around quite a bit as well. It is not too bad.
    Maumelle, Arkansas