Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon

Options
Simple and easy, used a touch of sorghum molasses over the fish with some butter and spices.
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lookd good, Dave! Where have you been?? :)

Can someone enlighten me about using planks for fish? Does the wood impart Amy flavor? Do you re-use the planks, or are they one time use only? Or are they mainly to keep the fish from sticking to the grid?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Yes, they impart flavor, in this case Cedar. It's a slight taste...also the smoke from the plank imparts a nice touch as well as making the area smelling good as well.

I get 3 - 5 uses from a plank. Just wash it off after using and always keep the same (burned) side down.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • divecj5
    divecj5 Posts: 18
    Options
    Looks great @Dave_Matthews.  Curious, how did you cook it (temp, indirect/direct)?  I tend to like my salmon with a little crunch and have yet to find the right temp and height where you develop a nice crust.
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I like using planks -cedar and alder particularly. Obviously, the longer the cook, the stronger the flavor but it's never been over powering. Besides fish, pork and chicken take to it nicely.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    I cooked the fish at about 400 degrees direct. First I put the plank on the grill for 5-10 minutes to get it hot, I didn't bother with soaking it.  Then I flipped the plank over, basted it with olive oil and sprinkled some salt on it, and put the fish skin down on the plank.  I used a thermopen, one recipe said to wait until internal temp hits 140, but I thought the fish fillets looked done before that and removed them.  They were perfectly done.

I have not developed a crust yet on my planked fish cooks, and I agree, I like that too.  Maybe next time I'll work on that.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I just got into cooking salmon and have been using the cedar planks. I don't get much of a smoke taste but that's just me. My taste buds for smoke seem to be a little shot. Perhaps it's the sauce that overwhelms the subtleness of the cedar. image
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Beautiful!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    divecj5 said:
    Looks great @Dave_Matthews.  Curious, how did you cook it (temp, indirect/direct)?  I tend to like my salmon with a little crunch and have yet to find the right temp and height where you develop a nice crust.
    By the nature of the cook it is indirect. YOu could use an indirect piece under the plank and get more of a "broiled" effect.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    caliking said:
    Can someone enlighten me about using planks for fish? Does the wood impart Amy flavor? Do you re-use the planks, or are they one time use only? Or are they mainly to keep the fish from sticking to the grid?
    Yes, yes, yes they can be reused, yes they prevent the fish from sticking to the grid.  I cook mine at or above the felt line.  I soak the cedar plank for a few hours.  Heat it for 3 minutes, direct over a 375 degree fire.  Then flip the cedar plank over and place the salmon on it.  I cook to internal temp from there.  If done right your salmon will have a nice cedar aroma and taste and you can clean up the cedar plank with a scraper and use it again.  Sometimes clean up is not easy.  Its my wife's favorite.  She likes Dizzy Pig's Raging River on it.  I prefer a Jalepenos, Apricot preserve glaze.  Both very good.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Dave_Matthews‌ ...good to see you. Cook looks awesome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    I just finished off the last of the salmon leftovers.  Cold on crackers.  GREAT!  This was a good tasting fish and a lucky cook!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR