Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Medium Lower Grate Charcoal Ring Basket

Options
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• stevethegreat
    Options
    Seems similar to kickashbasket. http://www.kickashbasket.com. Lots of people seem to like it but haven't tried it myself.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I saw that one too. It comes in a large size only.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Kick Ash Basket is an awesome way to go
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I guess both these lump baskets have value for those so inclined to make things easier. I see two advantages:
    First, it makes sense that on second or third burn lump, a quick shake lets the ash fall through into the bottom of the fire box. I usually give the lump a quick stir with my ash tool, have had no problems. 
    Second, I have put second burn lump on top of fresh lump, which usually means taking the old lump out. The basket makes this easy, just pull and dump the old lump into a temporary container, replace the basket, add new lump, dump the old back on top. 

Not sure I need more air flow as it has not been an issue. Don't think I need one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Just ordered one for my small. I find the small such a pain to clean out ash between cooks when there is lump left. This should help immensly. Especially since kick ash basket doesn't have a small yet or in the works.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Seems like a nice idea. For LBGEs- The kick ash bucket is $40 before shipping. Don't know what shipping is there. The eBay basket is $50 (!) before the $10 (!) shipping.

Ever since I got a hi-q grate, I don't even stir the lump. Just pour and go. Maybe if I didn't already have that....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One thing I'm not sure I care for is the fact that this one is a smaller diameter than the stock fire box (the bowl that holds the lump).  There is a dead space around it.  It's also not enough space that you could have a clear 2 zone fire so it would be annoying if you were trying to grill burgers or something.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    Does the Kick Ash Basket come in a size that fits the medium BGE? I bring my medium traveling and would like a quick solution to empty the hot coals to allow the egg to cool off much faster.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @KSwoll‌ why not just dump water into the egg?
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    I would like to reuse the coal for future cooks. :)
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I got that ebay basket and it's garbage for the small. Used it once and actually decided to dump the coal half way through and add more to get my small working like normal.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    KSwoll said:

And to use you Egg again.......dumping water in there will get give it a serious thermal shock and probably crack it.  You could also get burned from the steam.

Back to the charcoal--it would dry out.  Charcoal will absorb like crazy, but it's also quick to acclimate.  It wouldn't work out very well in the BGE since the air or sunlight couldn't get to it, but in a camp fire scenario it would.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

KSwoll said:

And to use you Egg again.......dumping water in there will get give it a serious thermal shock and probably crack it.  You could also get burned from the steam.

Back to the charcoal--it would dry out.  Charcoal will absorb like crazy, but it's also quick to acclimate.  It wouldn't work out very well in the BGE since the air or sunlight couldn't get to it, but in a camp fire scenario it would.

I remember seeing a pic stike posted where he cooled his egg at a tailgate party by draining his cooler into it. Also, it rains and snows on hot eggs all the time. Come to think of it, I also remember folks saying that they tossed hot platesetters on a snow bank too.

It rains and snows on mine with no problem. Haven't tried the other things. Tried to find Jeff's tailgate post, but couldn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

KSwoll said:

I remember seeing a pic stike posted where he cooled his egg at a tailgate party by draining his cooler into it. Also, it rains and snows on hot eggs all the time. Come to think of it, I also remember folks saying that they tossed hot platesetters on a snow bank too.

It rains and snows on mine with no problem. Haven't tried the other things. Tried to find Jeff's tailgate post, but couldn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut