Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,624
Costco had some nice wild sockeye filets today, so I coated one with Yoshida's and the other with Tony Chachere's and some mango habanero dust.

I put them on direct, flesh down @ 500 dome for about 4 minutes, then raised direct, skin side down until they started to pull from the skin. Brushed one with Yoshida's, the other with melted butter/rub mix while cooking. Both turned out really well, nice and moist inside with a very slight crust.

I've burned too many salmon filets cooking direct, skin side down, raising them up helped. In the end, I think the Tony's was just a bit too salty for the salmon for my taste. I'll have to find something that has that bite with less salt. Any suggestions?

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@legume - Did the wild Costco Salmon tonight using Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk.  It is an interesting rub - spicy, and sweet.  I recommend it highly, if you like spicy food.  Also excellent on spatchcock chicken.

Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The salmon looks excellent. I love the Tonys on salmon but I enjoy a lot of salt. Again that looks great!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Options
    Thanks both. I'll have to try the DP, definitely like spicy and sweet and spicy.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Legume‌
    You ever do them on planks? They are excellent if you haven't.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Options
    @SGH I played with it a long time ago, when I mostly cooked on a Weber kettle. I never really developed an appreciation for it,
  • SGH
    Options
    @Legume‌
    Man you should give it a go on the egg. It works great in my opinion.

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Salmon and Wild....say no more. Winner, seafood snob here.
    Seattle, WA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Tremendous job @Legume‌ , I like it. =D> FWIW, I'm not a big fan of the planks either.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Flying alongside at 400F raised direct. Used Old Bay on half the salmon this time, it has low salt and lite bite!
  • Legume
    Options
    thanks @SkinnyV and @stemc33

@SteveWPBFL, that looks great.  I saw the old bay in the cabinet when I was reaching for the Tony's, next time.  I love sunflower seeds in the shell and Bigs makes an Old Bay flavor that I discovered recently, it's my go to now.
  • tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    Those look real good. Yoshida's is always good on salmon.

Here is some fresh Alaska Copper River Red salmon we just cooked up tonight. Did this one with the planks. Usually don't use a plank but these came out really nice. Cooked about 15 minutes at 400F direct. The fish was as moist as if it just came out of the Copper River.

Took off and let sit on a burning plank for another minute. Light brown sugar on one piece and the other had a Mango Coconut glaze. Lightly salted both and layered with onions and jalapenos. Salmon is something we get a lot of here in Alaska but it never gets old.
  • tridogdude
    Options
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Off the Egg, onto the burning plank? What's going on here?
  • Legume
    Options
    Looks good, I may try cooking on a plank again.  I really wish I could get some salmon that fresh!

@SteveWPBFL, I think he just pulled the salmon, plank and all off of the grill and let it rest on the plank.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks outstanding. Have you had the Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom? It's replaced Tony Chachere's ion our house.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Whire pepper and a dash of sea salt. Thats it. The fish speaks for itself.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Ragin River or Tsunami Spin on salmon for us. Sometimes we mixed the two. Flesh side down for couple mins, skin down for a couple more, raised direct @ whatever the egg wants

LBGE

BTFU!

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Those Costco wild sockeye fillets look great. I am a new member and I havent seen those yet . . . but I am going to have to get some later this week. 

As for salmon prep - we are always very happy going raised direct on a soaked ALDER board (not a fan of the Cedar boards).  As for spices, we use a light coat of Dizzy Pig Raging River or a william sonoma rub called Potlatch Seasoning.  Also, I realllly enjoy the Horseradish & Tarragon Tatar Sauce from Griffin's Grub . . . its fantastic! 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @NDG - I prefer alder as well. My dad grew up in Seattle and that's what he knew, so he would bring a suitcase full of alder back to PA whenever he visited. 

Harder and harder to find on the east coast though. Thank goodness for mail order.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options

I remember years ago my son and I spent a summer traveling around Alaska in a motor home. We were there for salmon season. There would be small thrown up places along the road with a sign that said salmon bake. We would stop and have fresh salmon grilled over Alder wood. Finest fish I've ever eaten, great memory.

Rarely, here down south, am I lucky enough to find alder. Best wood period for salmon.

• tridogdude
    Options
    We always use alder when smoking salmon strips (cold smoking.) Alder is hard to find unless you are in Alaska where it is abundant.