Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg back in action with Flounder and Tilapia

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
This was inspired by a recent cook posted by @DMW‌ . Hope I do it justice.imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Anxious to see the final product. Love the lemon idea!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SGH
    Don't know what happened to these but here the are hopefully. imageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Cookbook_Chip‌
    I actually got the idea from @DMW. This is a trial run for me. More often than not I deep fry fish. We shall see!!

Status- Standing by.

• Cookbook_Chip
    Indeed we shall
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • SGH
    @Cookbook_Chip‌
    If mine turns out bad I'm going to post a pic of his ;)

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2014
    Are you cooking direct or indirect on a bed of lemons and limes?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Yes

Status- Standing by.

• Cookbook_Chip
    BBQ plagiarism? Great idea!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've used a lemon base like that. But didn't have the guts to go raised direct. I went indirect.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    So far so good. It smells outstanding. image

Status- Standing by.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    JRWhitee said:

Are you cooking direct or indirect on a bed of lemons and limes?

SGH said:

Yes

Well that answers that, my friend bro.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hope it turns out for you. I really like the citrus flavor it adds. And the idea certainly wasn't original with me, I swiped it from someone else here on the forum I'm sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Sorry man. I misread you question. Cooking them raised direct at 425 degrees on a bed of lemon and limes. Again sorry my friend but I'm posting and cooking at the same time.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @DMW
    Thanks man.

Some marinated shrimp for good measure.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @hapster‌
    Thanks hap!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Again sorry man. I was cooking and misread you question.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @SGH that was my bad, I posted it asking if you were cooking it direct and after i read it I edited it to read direct or indirect you probably answered it before I changed it. Sorry.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    I thought when I read it that it said direct and that's why I responded with a simple yes. Thought I was losing my mind for a minute. Thanks for clarifying.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Very cool idea for a cook! This looks like it would be a crowd pleaser of a meal down at the beach.
  • SGH
    Fish turned out excellent!image

Status- Standing by.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    SGH said:
    Fish turned out excellent!

Please forgive the silly question:

Did you turn the fish or leave it on one side throughout?

Thanks.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    @Sardonicus‌
    I did not turn it. @DMW may can give farther clarification. I stole the idea from him. But no I did not turn them and they came out excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    This turned out fantastic. Will be doing this again for sure. Thanks to. @DMW for sharing it.image

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    =D>
    Glad you enjoyed it. That or cedar planks is how I do fish now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks good
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014

Okay, got it.

Makes sense with thin sliced.

Tilapia in freezer right now. That's now slated for this Friday's cook.

Thank you.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Looks fantastic.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Thanks my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• @SDH & @DMW Adding this to the list of things to try. 

Looks great, and adding the shrimp was a nice touch for a little in meal change of pace.
    LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.