Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My veggies are bland!

I'm working on a healthier me. And and trying to increase my vegetable intake. Grilled veggies, are an easy, tasty way to cook something I need to eat!

But... I'm not sure how to season and prep the vegetables. Asparagus, squash, zucchini, green beans, bok choy, anything. I need suggestions for anything but potatoes or corn. (too much starch)

What is your favorite veggie dish that's still healthy? I have a wok, but haven't really figured that out yet.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Grilled asparagus is awesome. Simple olive oil, salt and pepper before, you can throw on a little freshly grated lemon zest when its done.

Grilled zucchini, olive oil, salt and pepper again. I slice thin on a mandolin to grill crispy.

I've heard pineapple head from dizzy pig is good on veggies, but I've never tried it.

Above all, the best veggies are locally grown veggies from a farm market picked fresh. The shorter the distance from dirt to table, the better. The best veggies I've ever grilled I swear were still alive when I plunked them on the grill!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    +1 with @hapster. I keep a shaker with SPOG (salt, pepper, onion power, garlic powder) in it. This has become my go to basic rub for things like this. A little EVOO just to get the rub to stick. Grill it raised direct or direct. If you have a grill basket, you can do a mix of various veggies. Just choose veggies with similar density and slice them roughly the same so they cook consistently. A mix of zuc, onion, and even some mushrooms tossed in is killer.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700

We use a "grill wok".  You know - the thing with alla the holes in it.

Toss in olive oil, season VERY heavy w/ granulated garlic . . .

. . . plus other stuff depending on your mood.  Cumin is a favorite but, as you know, extremely funky when you first open the jar.  We apply THAT stuff outside on the deck. 

Sometimes, cayenne pepper is just right.  Or plain ol' black pepper, heavy.  Or Old Bay.

You know your tastes better than any one.  Just do it.

The key is, HEAVY on the granulated garlic to start - expand from there. 

JMO, of course.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I do have a grill basket.   I need to quit being chincy on the rubs then. 

Definitely need to try to make a SPOG rub. I need something simpler so my wife will still eat it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    FWIW, I avoid the onion salt and garlic salt. I stick with powder and then I simply modify the salt amount to where I like it. I recommend start with a 2:2:1:1 SPOG ratio and then tweaking to your preference. Once you have the basic dialed in, start adding other spices/seasonings you like. Common next ones are paprika, cayenne (for a punch), cumin, etc. Just record the ratios and make small batches when you add something. A great tester protein IMHO is boneless skinless chicken breast. It takes flavor well, and you can taste what you are adding. Keep in mind you will probably develop different rubs for different proteins, but BSCB is a blank slate to figure out what the rub is like. You can also add sugar, but I avoid it. Pork is an exception, especially ribs. I like sugar there. But beef I try to leave it out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Asparagus is fantastic and cooks quickly- also give romaine lettuce a try.
    Greensboro, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Any veggies. ..evo, season and do it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Thatgrimguy
    Use the wok or the grill basket with a spray bottle filled with an asian mixture of say, soy, mirin, dried ginger, sesame oil, teriyaki sauce. That kind of thing. Keep it around and spritz whatever veggies you're cooking for a change.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Often times we just grill then "dress" after the cook with either a flavor infused oil or a high quality olive oil and some salt. Olive oil has a low smoke point so sometimes cooking it will give it an off taste if you get it too hot.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's what she said
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Sliced veggies tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Good eats! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Thatgrimguy
    Tahnk you all for the suggestions!  I'll let you know how my next round of veggies turn out! Made up some SPOG based on @DMW suggestions. Smells like my kind of base! 
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Mrs Dash - salt free, flexible and pretty tasty for a quick veggie grill up. The grill wok is your friend. Just be careful to not use too much EVOO or you'll have a nice fire on your hands and bitter tasting veggies.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    if you try woking the veggies, try adding a few slices of lemon while they cook, and/ or spritz with some champagne vinegar. this is a good time to experiment with different vinegars
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    All veggies taste great when they sit under a spatchcock!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    EVOO and DP Shakin The Tree on any veggies are awesome. I usually quarter some Mushrooms, onion, cubed squash or zucchini, and asparagus. Cooked in a veggie basket at about 500 until your desired tenderness.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    EVOO and Shakin' the Tree here too. It's a house favorite on any veggies. We use (I know I'm going to get my balls busted for this) Fire Wire skewers about 3x a week with peppers, onions, mushrooms, brussels, etc.

May have to try adding some lemon wedges soon - I like that idea. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2014
    DId more today, added more to the veggies to the grill pan and cooked it longer. I added more oil than I had and used the SPOG. Had a combo of zucchini, squash, onions, carrots that I started first, then added some asparagus and mushrooms later to the grill pan. They were BY FAR the best I have done thus far! Par Excellent! 

I also did my first tri-tip and it was amazing. Jaccard and salted last night and left on a cooling rack in the fridge. Reverse seared tonight to a perfect 140 after the rise. Loved it.

Thank you all so much for the help!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Best asparagus recipe from SWMBO is sprinkle with Herbs de Provence, sea salt, and black pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat, then grill until crisp tender. Best ever. God I love that woman.