Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts are Smokin'

Options
wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BostonButts.jpg
<p />Just put these babies on...
18+ lbs. Got 'em at Sams, 2 to a pack (Thanks, YB)
This will be lunch at the in-laws on Christmas Eve. Too bad I can't take the Egg with me and TRex some steaks for dinner.
wrobs[p]

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    wrobs,
    Good deal! I too got a two pack at the local grocer and will be putting them on in time to make a 2PM feast on Christmas Eve. I'm on vacation and will have all the time I need to baby sit them for the full low and slow method of around 18 hours. Yumm can't wait!! The eggsperts in here helped me through my last one which I had to cut short, not this time though!!

• wrobs, what state are you in? I have never seen a Butt in the local Sams, but plenty of good briskets
  • wrobs
    Options
    Zippy,
    I am in Evans, Georgia, just west of Augusta. They did not have the butts out because of space. I asked and he told me they have cases... he showed me sets of two that ranged from 13lbs to 18+ (the one I got).
    I bet they have 'em where you are, as well.
    I am 15 hours into the cook... internal was 146 a short while ago... umm umm good!
    wrobs

• wrobs,
    What's your recipe?....temp, rub? and are you just planning to chop it up when served? That looks like a great idea for the holidays.[p]Also, what size egg and have you had to add more lump during the 15 hours?

• wrobs
    Options
    steve s,
    I have a Large BGE. No special rub... my son and I just go through the spices and make it till we like the taste. Rub it down good with yellow mustard and then the rub... let it sit overnight.
    I try to maintain temp. between 200-250deg. I haven't added any lump and its still going strong... 169 internal as we speak. I will remove it and wrap in foil at 195-200deg. and then pull it apart. I will have the chopper available for anyone that wants it chopped. ;}
    HAve a Merry Christmas,
    wrobs

• wrobs,
    thank you for the reply, I will make an inquiry on my next trip to Sams, hope you enjoy the 18 pounder, Merry Christmas