Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another newbie Q...

Options
This Q is related to fuel.  I know that this is the BGE forum, but be honest, is the BGE "organic lump coal" really the best, or does it matter which lump coal?  I know not to use any sort of briquettes due to the filler / binder… just talking about all the various brands of lump.

Thanks ahead of time to the veterans …

H.P.

Comments

• sofakingbald
    Options
    BGE works but Royal Oak is the same thing, less expensive, and available at Wally.
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• Hoosier_Patriot
    Options
    Now we're talking … Wally World, my favorite place to shop ...
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I have used BGE once. No need. Many much more affordable and better products. See link. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I used to use BGE lump because I live in po dunk and that is the only lump in town. 

I switched to Rockwood and will never go back. You can order it at Firecraft.com. If you order $99 of anything you will get free shipping. 

I usually order a few bags and some rub. It is like Christmas when I see the Fed Ex truck pull up. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    BGE lump is overpriced. But to answer your question, any lump will work. Some lumps are better than others for sure.
    NW IOWA
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Oh Boy, Here we go! I like Royal Oak, I have had trouble with cowboy lump. Royal Oak makes Big Green  egg lump. Those are the only two I have tried. Good luck and Party On!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Around here, BGE charcoal is $25 for a 20-lb bag at Ace Hardware. Royal Oak is $12.95 for 17 lbs at Home Depot. Rockwood is $19.95 for 20 lbs from firecraft.com and Ozark Oak is $10.95 for 10 lbs. Shipping is free from firecraft.com if you buy $100 in an order.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Not this again....
    Nakedwhiz reviews/reviewed lump got there read, then try, then repeat

LBGE

BTFU!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Hankyorke said:
    Not this again.... Nakedwhiz reviews/reviewed lump got there read, then try, then repeat
    It will keep getting asked by the new guys. I certainly don't mind helping them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    BGE Lump here in ABQ is 27.99  not worth it  used up my bag i had wont be buying another

Going to order some Ozark Oak from firecraft.com
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Ozark oak or rockwood from firecraft. You get free shipping when you spend $100.

I used royal oak for a while, but I'm loving the Ozark oak. I'm gonna try some rock wood for my next order.

In scoping tons of posts over researching everything, I've found Ozark oak and rockwood to be the most common brands mentioned.

+1 on the naked whiz site. Lots of great info there.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Ozark oak or rockwood from firecraft. You get free shipping when you spend $100.

I used royal oak for a while, but I'm loving the Ozark oak. I'm gonna try some rock wood for my next order.

In scoping tons of posts over researching everything, I've found Ozark oak and rockwood to be the most common brands mentioned.

+1 on the naked whiz site. Lots of great info there.

They are the 2 best that I have ever used.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I haven't been able to see a difference between the Royal Oak and the Ozark Oak, at least not enough difference to justify paying 25% more and finding space to store 10 bags of charcoal at a time.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Maccool said:

I haven't been able to see a difference between the Royal Oak and the Ozark Oak, at least not enough difference to justify paying 25% more and finding space to store 10 bags of charcoal at a time.

I find Ozark oak has a much cleaner taste and has much bigger pieces of charcoal. The size thing could be shipping issues from my local walmarts, but I've heard that from other people too. I also find many more rocks in RO compared to OO.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like royal oak...I spread it across the yard and it kills the moles. Awesome stuff.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    And for the newbies @henapple is a RO connoisseur-he drives around the mid-west delivering precious bags of that lump on a fairly frequent basis...

Opps-Ozark Oak-but hey, they are almost the same...:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Maccool said:

I find Ozark oak has a much cleaner taste and has much bigger pieces of charcoal. The size thing could be shipping issues from my local walmarts, but I've heard that from other people too. I also find many more rocks in RO compared to OO.
    You are now at risk for Henapple coming to your home for some "re-education training". Just remember: if you can see Henapple, Henapple can see you. If you cannot see Henapple, you are seconds from death.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Seriously though- if you have some of each (sadly, I do) you can see which one you like. I'm not going to get in to good vs bad because I don't think any are really "bad". Hell, I cooked on Best of the West for a year and told The Wiz he was full of it for rating it poorly (he was not full of it- it's bad).

I got another large at Salado this year and it came with a free bag of BGE lump (and I got drunk and stole another from the after party after Micky passed out). I already had OO and a ton of Rockwood in my garage. I hadn't used BGE (royal oak) in years so i fired it up in the new egg to kill the curry cloud that The Little Canadian and the King of Calcutta soiled my virgin egg with at the fest and I had OO on the OE. So without saying one is good and the other is bad, here is what I noticed. The royal oak was very smoky with white smoke billowing out for most of the cook. It imparted a very heavy smoke taste that I found unpleasant. I have also noticed that most newbs that post "help! My wife says my food is too smoky and won't eat off the egg" are using the BGE lump that came with their egg. I would find fish or chicken way way over smoked with that profile. It's smoky. Not bad. But heavy smoke. OO Is much cleaner and a very high quality lump but still way smokier than Rockwood. Rockwood is clean. Like super clean. I like to add my smoke with chunks. If I don't add with RW, it is very light, very clean. I can put cherry wood in for chicken and it tastes like cherry. With Royal and to a lesser degree OO, it tastes like lump smoke. Now if you love really smoky food, you may not notice. But if you are looking for more subtlety and nuance, then you want a cleaner lump and to add flavor through chunks Or maybe not at all.

Try them all and see what you like. I like clean very smoke neutral lump. That is rockwood. OO has a little more smoke, RO a little more still. All personal choice.
  • MeTed
    Options
    At the Cen-Tex Smoker, great post, thank you.
    Belleville, Michigan

• xiphoid007
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 on what @The Cen-Tex Smoker said about smokey lump. My wife could tell the instant I ran out of my royal oak and started with OO. Not to bash RO, it was way better than the cowboy I was using!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MeTed said:

At the Cen-Tex Smoker, great post, thank you.

I assume you are talking about the Henapple one? That one is real. The other one I totally made up ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

+1 on what @The Cen-Tex Smoker said about smokey lump. My wife could tell the instant I ran out of my royal oak and started with OO. Not to bash RO, it was way better than the cowboy I was using!

Chicks dig rockwood.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I will second @Cen_Tex's assessment, mostly because by the end of the cook I will not be able to sort out the wood/food flavor profile.  Something about the adult supervisory beverages...But we all are on this journey for enjoyment (cook defined).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MeTed
    Options
    I might I have missed something, but I liked your post about lump @Cen-Tex smoker. Sorry.
    Belleville, Michigan

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MeTed said:

I might I have missed something, but I liked your post about lump @Cen-Tex smoker. Sorry.

You didn't miss anything. I was being a smartass to Henapple and I'm neck deep in Titos at the Boston airport hilton bar.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Heanapple is the unofficial OO spokesperson on here and a helluva guy. Was busting his nuts a little but we are all good. He wears my shorts almost every day.
  • MeTed
    Options
    Thanks brother, I thought I pissed you off. Party On!
    Belleville, Michigan

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MeTed said:

Thanks brother, I thought I pissed you off. Party On!

Never buddy. Always good here.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Just bought my large egg. I just tried wicked good charcoal. I'm gonna stick with wicked good. Bigger chunks and less ash.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii