Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For The Cen-Tex Smoker. A monster in the making.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    That is a huge Hunk-O-Meat!

Your explanation of the what that is was almost doctor like... Bravo. 
    =D>
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    You da man!
    GWN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Never seen a clod, but heard of a 15 pounder being done - it served over 20 people with good appetites. Can't imagine what a 34 pounder might be used for. 

Great post, looking forward to seeing the results. Wow. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    i have been looking forward to this cook, thanks @SGH

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    I am liking what I'm reading. What a fantastic section of meat, I look forward to seeing the end game.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    Most impressive.

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • @sgh Are you planning on updating more with some after pics?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    @Egghead_Daron‌
    Yes sir. When I get home tonight I will complete my write up on the cook and upload the remaining pics. Had a lot i had to do today so I had to turn in early last night. Been a hectic day thus far.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    At 23 hours and 38 minutes into the cook the internal temp was at 157 degrees. The clod had really started to loosen up and feel free so I panned it in a full size steam tray. This will aid in the extraction from the smoker and prevent it from falling apart when the clod is fully cooked. I did not cover it. I merely sat it in a open pan for convienance. imageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    What temp are you going to? Is this becoming pulled beef?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Is that a big-ass spatula or a really tiny piece of meat in a really tiny foil pan?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Haha...that spatula is boss like.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like what I'm seeing so far.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    @Legume‌
    That spatula is the size of a shovel. 24 hours ago that was 34 pounds of beef clod. Look at the pics at the start of this post of my DIL holding it for a size reference.
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I'm going to take it up until it totally "let's go" if you will. I'm guessing around 197 due to the amount of adipose dispersed through out the meat.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @DMW‌
    Thanks man. Hoped all would enjoy it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @cazzy‌
    Thanks man.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Really I'm not guessing. I pulled it at 197 last weekend. I was going to say that I made a good guess at the end but that would be wrong. And yes I pulled it off at 197 and made pulled beef.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    @Legume‌ That spatula is the size of a shovel. 24 hours ago that was 34 pounds of beef clod. Look at the pics at the start of this post of my DIL holding it for a size reference. @Thatgrimguy‌ I'm going to take it up until it totally "let's go" if you will. I'm guessing around 197 due to the amount of adipose dispersed through out the meat.
    Okay on page one, you said you made this last weekend, but this reads like it's ongoing. I'm guessing you just got confused what tense you were in. I know that happens to you elderly folks. lol

BTW...This is/was a really cool cook!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    Read my post right above yours.^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    A well cook clod is a thing of beauty and taste.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    @‌Austin Egghead
    I agree 100% my friend. I love them.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @SGH-total clod virgin here (beef-wise anyhow :) ).  Guess it's the whole package that allows pulling at around 197*F cuz when I cook a lowly chuckie for pulled beef I run it up to around 210*F to get it to behave.  Independent-an epic cook.  I'm sure the eats were worth the effort!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    @lousubcap‌
    It's not the whole chuck primal. It's the subprimal cut from the chuck primal from the deltoid main 3 heads. The Teres Major the Teres Minor and the Infraspinatus. This section contains far more adipose and can easily be cooked down to the point of pulling if you will. I shall illustrate this later my friend. It's the abundance of adipose in the deltoid region that allows the clod to be pulled with little effort. I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    @lousubcap‌
    And you are correct the remaining other half of the primal does not reduce as well as the clod in my humble opinion.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @lousubcap‌
    Note the massive cap head shown below.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:

@lousubcap‌
    Note the massive cap head shown below.image

Hello Clarise....
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    @‌The Cen-Tex Smoker
    It's Seneca The Elder. Not Clarise my friend. You know this ;)

Status- Standing by.

• I was just saying the pic of the clod looked like something Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs was working on :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    I know brother. That was my attempt at humor.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:

I know brother. That was my attempt at humor.

Stick with cooking...........

Little Rock, AR