Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best after market grill raisers?

I've heard and seen on this forum some add ons to raise the grid.  I'm looking for recommendations to raise my grid to felt level.  Not sure why, but in case I have need for it, like for smoking salmon.  thoughts?

Comments

• Tigers34
    Tigers34 Posts: 37
    I lay 3 fire bricks on their sides on top the fire ring. This puts the grid right at fire level.  Cheap - paid less than $1.00 per brick at Lowes. 
  • Tigers34
    The fire bricks leaves the grid at felt level - not fire level.  Sorry - typo.
  • wow, great idea.  I'll look for those next time I'm at the hardware store.  I know I'd like to raise my grid to felt level, but mostly for convenience.  I know there are other reasons to do so, but what are they?
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I have a woo from Ceramic Grill Store. I use it all the time, it allow as me to raise the grid to felt level, but I can also lower a smaller below the fire ring (for searing steaks etc.). It is very well built and stable.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Tigers34
    I use a raise grid probably more than the regular level.  About the only thing I cook without the grid being raised is steak. 
  • @Tigers34:  Don't suppose you have a photo of your setup? 

@abpgwolf:  I'll take a look at the Woo.  I've heard of it, I guess it's time for me to look into it.

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    The adjustable rig allows for several different heights of raised grids. I've got that, and like @Tigers34‌ I use it more often than not. The advantages of a raised grid are numerous. Moving the meat further from the coals allows for that great direct heat char, but with less chance of burning. Plus getting your food higher in the egg allows it to get reflective heat off the dome, which is especially helpful for things like pizza (makes the cheese nice and bubbly and charred). Adam Perry Lang actually dedicates a whole section in his book Charred and Scruffed to the benefits of raised grid cooking. Worth checking out.
    Southern California
  • +1 on Adjustable Rig. I have had it for nearly a year and it is used on every cook since. I use if for direct, indirect, raised direct. Any and all cooks use it in some way shape or form. It was a gamechanger.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Another cheap way to raise the grid is to pound 3 aluminum canned beers and use the empty cans as supports.  Many other methods-you may try raised grid in the search function here on google with Big Green Egg in your query. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited July 2014
    I use fire bricks, too. Here are a couple of photos:

WingsWings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Woo2 and the Adjustable Rig (AR) from the CeramicGrill Store are designed to do that and more.  They are not the least expensive way to solve the problem however.  There are other clever ways to raise the grid.  (i.e. Like the bricks or bolts etc...).  All will work to raise the grid to felt level.  The real issue here is your statement that you may want to cook at the felt level.  Trust me on this, you do!! Spatchcock a chicken direct,  crisp up some wings,   cook some vegetables,  cook some Cedar planked Salmon.  My two most popular reason to cook at the felt level...Spatchcock chicken and cedar planked salmon.  It doesn't work a the fire ring level.  I do this at least twice a week.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I use the adjustable rig on just about every cook as well. Here are a couple of cooks using it. First photo is a Butt going indirect, second is a couple spatchcocks going direct on my BGE grid which is sitting on top of the Adjustable rig and last are 6 racks of baby backs indirect on the rig.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
     I know I'd like to raise my grid to felt level, but mostly for convenience.  

The "convenience" is nothing to sneeze at when you're trying to flip burgers.  
    ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Here is a pic from AR that had about 25lb of stuffed pork loin I did a couple weeks ago at Porkopolis Eggfest.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i used firebricks and extra grids for years, they work great, but the adjustable rig is really thought out well, im not going back
    :D tom has a customer combo package as well for the AR, comes with a stone and spider for woking, its really hard to beat that combination. with the added height you can do more direct style cooking which saves dollars in lump compared to indirect cooking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I use a BGE grid extender and it works great. 

The uses are many but the one I do most is Spatchcock chicken on the top grid  with potatoes and onions, green peppers and sometimes carrots in a foil pan on the bottom grid, indirect at 400 degrees for about 1 hr. and 20 mins. until IT is 180 degrees. You can watch a great video on this and many other topics on tasty licks BBQ. Good luck and Party On!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I couldn't imagine my XL without my Adjustable Rig. I use it on 90% of my cooks
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    3 - 4.5" stainless bolts
    I use 4 - 4" stainless carriage bolts for the second level (17" weber charcoal grid)

LBGE

BTFU!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited July 2014
    Like the bolt idea on the main grid!  I might try that one as well!  I already use the bolts for the upper grid, but I never thought of doing that for the lower!  Good one @Hankyorke!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    +1 on the AR
    GWN
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    Do the bolts need to be stainless? All I can find are galvanized
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    One of my few indirects with the AR. Have two Larges and an AR for each. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Hardly ever cook without my Woo from CGS on my MBGE. Only time would be to sear a steak in which case I use the CI close to the fire.
  • DaveRichardson
    Yes, @GlennM‌, stainless is the way to go. It'll take some searching, but it's out there.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If all else fails search McMaster Carr.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Lowes or Ace usually have ss stuff.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DaveRichardson
    caliking said:

Lowes or Ace usually have ss stuff.

AGREE 100%. The other big box is very hit and miss with SS.

• I bought 3 fire bricks from Lowes last week, cooked some burgers and some AMAZING ribeye on it this weekend.  I'm happy with it, doesn't char the meat and it's more convenient to flip things.  Taking another run at brisket this weekend, will have to see how it works.
  • I am wondering about my place setter.  I'm doing a brisket this weekend, indirect, so I'll be using the place setter.  Looking for recommendations, should I place my bricks under the place setter to raise the entire configuration, or no?
  • The PS in the legs up configuration should seat snugly on the fire ring.... I'd stay with that setup. Now if you wanted to lift the grid further up into the dome, I'd build a mini tower on the PS with the firebrick and put the grid on that. You can build it around a water/drip pan if you want.

Just be mindful of the dome thermo probe as well since we are elevating the grid even higher!