Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Over smoking

Options
Is it possible to "over" smoke ribs or a pork shoulder?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Yes, it's possible to "over" smoke anything. What can also happen is VOCs haven't cleared and that nasty smoke imparts a nasty smoke flavor.

My wife and kids are very low smoke tolerant, so I rarely use smoke.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Yes, there is too much smoke and there is bad smoke / VOC's.  Two different things.  The first is a personal preference.  Almost no-one likes the bad smoke!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Rplatt2
    Rplatt2 Posts: 30
    Options
  • Rplatt2
    Rplatt2 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am not familiar with VOC's what are they?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited July 2014
    Options

Volatile Organic Compounds

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Smoke is a flavor ingredient. Too much of any ingredient will result in a sub-optimal product.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    If you try to smoke with too much wood, you will get too much creosote and an acrid oversmoked flavor. This is the heavy white/gray smoke, which is caused by the wood burning too inefficiently.

There is always creosote. It's your base smoke flavor, but you want to minimize it while maximizing the other fruity and nutty components of smoke. This occurs in the blue smoke.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have yet to oversmoke pork ribs and butt, you would have to add alot or use mesquite. yes its possible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    have yet to oversmoke pork ribs and butt, you would have to add alot or use mesquite. yes its possible
    It's a matter of taste. I light the chunks with the torch before the food goes in and if I'm using chips they are burning before the food goes in. I still find anymore than a couple of chunks is too much for me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON