Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help a rookie out with a Christmas Turkey/Brine, etc...

Options
Rookie Eggcock
Rookie Eggcock Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking my first turkey on the egg for my family for Christmas. I really don't want to screw this one up. PLEASE, any link to a recipe, or recipe that anyone of you EGGsperts could help me out with would be greatly appreciated! I've never brined before either so I will be doing both.[p]And man do I like my gravy if that can be done...[p]Thank you in advance.[p]RE

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rookie Eggcock,
    here is a detailed link to how i do turkey and gravy. ..i don't brine, but that shouldn't keep you from using this method if you want to brine. ...just rinse it good so that the drippings aren't too salty for gravy making .. .. .[p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Rookie Eggcock:[p]Highly recommend Mad Max's recipe and directions! I did brine ours at Thanksgiving and didn't notice that there was too much of a salty taste to the gravy. In fact, the gravy probably was the best part of the whole meal (and I have normally not liked gravy). Just follow Mad Max's directions and you should be eating the best turkey you have ever had.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Rookie Eggcock,
    Here"s one from the past. Best Brine Recipe.

2Cups kosher salt
    2 T dried rosemary
    2 T dries thyme
    2 T dries sage
    1 T dried marjoram
    1 T celery seeds
    1 T black peppercorns
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 medium carrot chopped
    1 rib celery chopped
    2 gallons of cold water in your brine container. Add all ingredients down to the peppercorns and stir to desolve salt and herbs as much as possible. Place turhey in brine and add water to completely cover if needed. Cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours. Hope this helps some. Mik

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]What should I do if I don't have a plate setter yet? And yes, I did ask for one for Christmas. Thanks for everything!

• Rookie Eggcock
    Options
    Hey Mad Max?,[p]See above comment. Sorry.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rookie Eggcock,
    no plate setter, not a big problem. ...you need to set up a heat barrier of some kind. ...you could take a pan of water, set it on your grid, then set you roasting pan on top of that. ...just make sure you keep water in that pan all the way through the roast. .. . or take a pizza stone if you have one, set it on the grid, and raise your roasting pan about one inch above it, using the green feet that came with your egg, or some other stuff (balls of aluminum foil, some brass pipe fittings, etc). ..