Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork in advance

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The pulled pork on Christmas Eve was a hit last year so I'm doing it again. Problem is my wife and I already had plans to attend holiday parties and spend the night away from home the 23rd. If it didn't already register, the night of the 23rd is when I should be getting that chunk of meat going![p]What would the results be if I cooked it the day (or two) before, pulling it and then storing it in the fridge in large plastic bags? How would I reheat it with out drying it out? I normally pull the meat and serve it in a big heated warmer, can I add some water in the bottom when reheating?[p]Any help is appreciated, [p]Merry Christmas etc.

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Stuart, I'm cooking 70 lbs for a Christmas party on Friday. Old Dave suggested to add some low sodium chix broth mixed with equal amounts of water and a splash of bbq sauce. I'll be reheating in aluminum pans in the oven.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Stuart,[p]Coke or RC Cola is my favorite liquid for reheating pulled pork and it is not bad for brisket either.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Stuart,
    i vacuum pack with a little coke and a little low sodium chicken broth and reheat the bag in boiling water. ziplocks wont work this way, but you could do it in tins in the oven. the coke seems to make things taste fresh again. i got the chicken broth idea from Old Dave and the coke idea from RRP. mixed the 2 and was very happy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stuart
    Options
    Thanks all, the responses are all quite consistent, I'll use the Foodsaver and vaccum pack the pork with a mix of broth and cola.[p]I appreciate it, seems I can go ahead and treat my wife to a stay in a trendy downtown hotel Friday night. She thanks you too![p]
    [ul][li][url=http:// ]http:// [/url][/ul]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    fishlessman,
    What technique do you use to vacuum pack something like this with liquid?

• Stuart
    Options
    egret,[p]Good question! Short of using the Food Saver jar set up, I'd put the pork in the freezer just enough to make sure the liquid is frozen, then seal and place in the fridge.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    stuart,
    Aha! Good suggestion. Thank you.......

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    egret,
    i dont add a lot, maybe 3-4 tablespoons total for a nice sized bag of about 3 to 4 pounds. place the liquid in first and then the pork. when i just see the liquid moving to the top i start the seal process. it might not be a full vacuum, but its enough for my purposes. freezing the liquid first might be a better option if its going to be frozen for a long time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it