Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Super coolers

Options
Just curious how the smaller super coolers - Yeti, Engel, Pelican,etc. - would stack up to a Cambro of about equal size.  I am thinking one for the 12x20x8" pan size that you often see caterers use.  Not really concerned so much about the ruggedness but more about cold retention.  I know most of the coolers are very good in this area but Cambro has been doing the hot/cold thing for many years.  Any thoughts or better yet direct experience?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have both the 45 and the smaller Roadie in Yeti. Very good coolers.They are just like @henapple, goes both ways (hot or cold)...... For what you are looking for you might want to look at Polar Bear Softsides. Have a couple of them and they are very good 24 hour hot or cool coolers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Griffin

Good one G!

Looking at that picture I had thoughts of buying 2 of the Styrofoam coolers that you see stacked in stores and leave them nested together, then also stacking the lids atop one another.  It would double the insulation on most of the cooler and might actually work quite well for my purposes.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I have both the 45 and the smaller Roadie in Yeti. Very good coolers.They are just like @henapple, goes both ways (hot or cold)...... For what you are looking for you might want to look at Polar Bear Softsides. Have a couple of them and they are very good 24 hour hot or cool coolers.

I saw what you did there Mick.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:

Little Mickey is getting real brave in his retirement years.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Mickey said:

Little Mickey is getting real brave in his retirement years.lol
    Well, he did just travel the country. Rocking out with his Little Mickey out.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I am about to pull the trigger on a roadie. $200 new shipped.
    Lots of day trips and outings with kids where I pack lunches/drinks. It looks fun for packing beer to hang with a buddy on the weekend. Road trips .

First it was the mini , following Mickeys posts now it might be a yeti sheesh.
    Seattle, WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @SkinnyV,

$200 is alot for a little Roadie.  I looked long at Zac Brown Band's edition Roadie, but bought a 35qt Pelican for the same price on amazon.  Perfect for complimenting the fridge in the camper.  May even get a cheap dorm fridge to keep outside for drinks, then use the Pelican for food.  The Pelican is small enough to put on a wagon at the farmer's market.  They are heavy, even more so when loaded.  For that reason, I'm happy with the 35qt size.    

You may want to look into the next size up Yeti.  Seems like for your intended use, you will not benefit from the hybrid cooler capabilities.  A classic Playmate would get the job done for 10% of a Roadie.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mickey said:

The thing about me though @Mickey is I go both ways at the same time. Your yeti can't do that...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple said:
    The thing about me though @Mickey is I go both ways at the same time. Your yeti can't do that...
    I love you man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's what they said
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • davejames0426
    Options
    K2 cooler from the dent and scratch sale on their website.......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC