Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman foray - will I do it again????

Options
jonnymack
jonnymack Posts: 627
So I had a couple of ribeye's in the freezer (I know - don't ask) that I've been wanting to cook ever since I had to put them in there.  Last night we decided to give them a go and I thought caveman would be the way to go.  I had to also cook some chicken breasts for my lunches so I thought I could pre-cook the steaks at 350 for 10 minutes and then caveman them the rest of the way.  I put them directly on the coals after I got the heat up post-chicken breast for a little over a minute a side.  The verdict?  I would have to say this was about the best steak from the stand point of being cooked properly (Medium Rare-ish for me Medium Plus-ish for her).  Better char than I've gotten in the past.  I'd like to try this method again but the wife stated she felt previous cooks were better.  Maybe when I'm alone I'll try again or just get the wife drunk so she won't care.  

Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I haven't tried caveman. I am afraid I will ruin my steaks. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I haven't tried caveman. I am afraid I will ruin my steaks. 
    John i t works fine. Cool at gatherings..... But a spider works as well, just not the cool factor.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I read that you had to have the coals just right or you will have problems. I can just imagine placing $65 worth of steak down there and ruining them. My wife would not be too happy about that. 

How does the ash from the coals not stick to the steak? Does it just burn it off? 

• jonnymack
    Options
    no ashes from the coals on my steaks.  Someone explained it on here but no issues there.  Seems crazy but it works.

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    @johnkitchens So try it with a single steak and see how you like it. Add it on to another cook so you're not under any pressure to get it right or go without dinner.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I did it yesterday with 1 strip, 1 Filet Mignon, and 1 ribeye. I didn't get as good of a sear on the ribeye as I normally do. Mine also had banding. I'll try the reverse sear option next time or stick with my usual route.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    John, I did some last night as well had a little more char than I get with the spider but no ash and they were good. You won't ruin them just have your thermopen ready, 2 minutes then flip.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You guys are going to convince me to do it. I think when I do it I will have the wife come outside and not tell her my plans. 

The look on her face will be priceless. 

• jonnymack
    Options
    Just tell her you dropped it on the coals by accident.  Sure the next logical question would be "where the hell is the grate" but if you ensure she properly bourbons beforehand you'll be A-OK.