Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who is on the BGE Facebook Page (Big Green Egg BBQers) and the questions

Options
tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
I am a member of the Big Green Egg BBQers Facebook group.  I know of a few of you that are members as well.  Just wondering who all is a memeber of that group as well. 

The second part of the post is the questions.  I am wondering do people know how powerful Google can be?  Some of the questions are just crazy.  Maybe I am sensitive today or something, but it got under my skin today. 

Here a few questions, just this morning:

"I have a question for the group and need a answer asap... im cooking a brisket on my large ive seen people say wrap it in foil and towel and stick it in ice chest for a while... my question is with or without ice in the cooler... I know its a silly question but please any help on with or with out ice and whats the purpose"

"With all the talk about the Mini Max releasing sometime in the near future. I would like to hear the groups opinions on the mini max vs small. I am looking to buy an egg to use camping."
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was a member for a few weeks. Dropped out about two weeks ago. Saw some interesting cooks, but it was the same questions over and over. How do I cook a brisket? How long will a pork but take? How do you cook a burger? Was just flooding my FB and got kind of annoying. As you said, they should try using Google. Or join a forum. I'm all for helping out a person, but it was the same stuff day after day. I talked to a couple of members here and they quit it for the same reason.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Griffin, I think I am about to leave the group now. 

Hopefully I am not coming off as some cocky cook, which I am not, but man, a simple Google search most times will direct here to this forum where it's been answered. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I am a member as well and saw that question about putting ice in the cooler. I almost died laughing! I've debated leaving the group too...
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    What's a facebook?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have been very close to leaving the group as well.  Some days it gives me a good laugh, but most of the time it's just annoying.  I can only recall seeing one cook on there that I wanted to copy.  It was the cheesecake peach things from last week.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @badinfluence  :)

Face·book
    ˈfāsbo͝ok/
    verb
    verb: Facebook; 3rd person present: Facebooks; past tense: Facebooked; past participle: Facebooked; gerund or present participle: Facebooking
    1. spend time using the social networking website Facebook.
      "If the boss knew how much time you spent shopping online or Facebooking, do you think he or she would be happy?"
      • contact (someone) via Facebook.
        "Jean Facebooked me later"

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

I'm on both and I think the BGE forum is definitely for more experienced folks. Too much chatter so I had to turn off notifications.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I turned notifications off, but the feeds still show. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am on and really glad I joined mostly because someone offered for sale the Adjustable Rig with oval stone, a wok and the Woo3 with the spider attached for $100. I was just getting ready to buy a new one. There a lot of the same questions but I just ignore what doesn't interest me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm a member, and have recognized some people from here, just because they post their cooks there and here.  While I'm not as seasoned as some of you on here, I feel like there are a lot of FNG's on there that don't have a clue.  Although sometimes after reading some posts here I get the same feeling. 
    I'm with @saluki2007 on the peach cheesecake recipe.  That looked like the bomb!
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't mind it at all. I likely wouldn't answer that question, but I sure would get a good laugh from it. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I am on and really glad I joined mostly because someone offered for sale the Adjustable Rig with oval stone, a wok and the Woo3 with the spider attached for $100. I was just getting ready to buy a new one. There a lot of the same questions but I just ignore what doesn't interest me.

Dude, that's another reason I joined. I have had to run and get my wallet a couple times for some awesome last last last last last chance t-shirts sales.

=))
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am on that group as well. The question about putting ice in the cooler was a classic. That took some balls to ask that. It was great. 

It is shocking to me the large number of people that have spent the money to buy an egg and don't have a clue how to use them at all. 

I don't know much, and I knew even less when I got my egg, but I talked to my dealer, a few fellow eggers, and read a lot of info and watched a lot of videos on the big green egg site BEFORE I bought one. 

It is like some of those guys just made an impulse buy and had no idea what they were all about. 

My wife mentioned that the feed from that page had taken over my page. 

I will hang around a little longer if for nothing else the laughs. I have tried to point several of them here. They need help! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was a follower of Tweeve's but lost interest when corporate shut it down. That may have been the funniest corporate shanghai job I have ever seen. A master stroke.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I was a follower of Tweeve's but lost interest when corporate shut it down. That may have been the funniest corporate shanghai job I have ever seen. A master stroke.
    Any screenshots for historical purposes?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No but in really wish I had.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

cazzy said:

Dude, that's another reason I joined. I have had to run and get my wallet a couple times for some awesome last last last last last chance t-shirts sales.
    BTW, today is the last day to enter for them Fire Wires, my brother....
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    The straw that broke the camels back for me today was the guy asking about the mini max.  I was like, damn it, Google the thing and read the official specs BGE released. 

I think lack of sleep has me a little angry today.  Thunderstorm rolled in the middle of the night.  Dog was crazy, baby was crazy, and the wife was crazy.  Had broken sleep from the time I went to sleep and when I woke up. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Matt you will feel better when you win the fire wires.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm not on Facebook, but really a lot of the same questions are asked here over and over - it happens with new people coming aboard.

For instance, what lump is best, what lump starting method is best, etc all get started about once every 2 months.

I take it as new people eager to learn, no biggie. And when I FTC beer I use ice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Any screenshots for historical purposes?

I know he had to have archived all of it. I hope he will share with the group one day. I was in tears. I have never seen anything so wildly inappropriate and funny in my life (except Book of Mormon). It was greatness. I can't believe BGE let it go on so long. Every third post was someone he had pissed off (by calling them fat or insulting their religious affiliations etc) demanding to talk to his boss and swearing they were going to sell every egg they owned and buy Kamado Joes. All the other posts were people "liking" his comments when they were clearly getting torched. They had no clue. Then about 10 posts down they would finally get it and get all butt hurt.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I am on there also and actually don't have an issue although it has kind of made a mess of my newsfeed. I do laugh at some of the questions and they definitely lean towards the beginner. I have gotten a few ideas in cooks and also a heads up on a sale at ThermoWorks for the Infrared thermometer which I was able to buy. I don't mind answering their questions because I feel like I am helping them out like others did for me back when I first got my Egg. I get the ridiculousness of the cooler/ice question but surprised people took issue on whether or not to buy a MiniMax or a Small for camping. I have seen very similar conversations on here frequently about pros and cons on what size to buy so I didn't think anything of it.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

I am on there also and actually don't have an issue although it has kind of made a mess of my newsfeed. I do laugh at some of the questions and they definitely lean towards the beginner. I have gotten a few ideas in cooks and also a heads up on a sale at ThermoWorks for the Infrared thermometer which I was able to buy. I don't mind answering their questions because I feel like I am helping them out like others did for me back when I first got my Egg. I get the ridiculousness of the cooler/ice question but surprised people took issue on whether or not to buy a MiniMax or a Small for camping. I have seen very similar conversations on here frequently about pros and cons on what size to buy so I didn't think anything of it.
    I usually do not, for some reason today just rubbed me wrong.  The MiniMax ordeal kinda ticked me off from the one guy.  Hopefully it wasn't one of you. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    They have several bge facebbok groups "Big Green Egg Bbq'ers" and "Big Green Egg" on facebook are seperate groups.
    I joined the "Big Green Egg" facebook group.
    I can't find fault with it or the other members. Many good cooks and info are posted there.
    Alough one guy wanted to know if it was okay to use briquettes in his egg ;)
    I welcome newbies and the inexperienced.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    No worries @tarheelmatt‌ No that wasn't my posting at all. I do get the annoyance factor though.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    They have several bge facebbok groups "Big Green Egg Bbq'ers" and "Big Green Egg" on facebook are seperate groups. I joined the "Big Green Egg" facebook group. I can't find fault with it or the other members. Many good cooks and info are posted there. Alough one guy wanted to know if it was okay to use briquettes in his egg ;) I welcome newbies and the inexperienced.
    I do too, Tony, but sometimes it gets to be anoying and I shouldn't have been obviously. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I asked both of those questions. Man, I really feel like an idiot.

But please answer them and help a brother out.

This FTC ice/no ice dilemma really has me in a pickle and although I have a small and mini I just can't stop thinking about the MiniMax, I mean Max is in the name so it must be Awesome.

I know The Facebook is gospel.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Someone just posted a sale on Looflighters in Nevada on the Facebook forum and I ordered one the price with tax and shipping is $42.24. I think I will stay on there for a while.

Johns Creek, Georgia