Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cooked Way Too Fast - Looking for Advice

2»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I put my 14-lb choice packer on last night at 10PM and it is sitting at 180 right now after just over 12.5 hours.  FYI, my dome thermometer was reading the same (or very close) as my grid thermometer until I put the brisket on.  The dome thermometer has been reading about 100* lower than the grid thermometer ever since.  Not sure, but I'm guessing the dome thermometer isn't reading correctly because the brisket is too close to the probe (brisket is on the top of the AR extender).  Would have been much hotter at the grid level had I been relying on the dome thermometer... 
    Good to know in general, but as I wrote above - I had a grid thermo as well.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited July 2014
    So this was a mixed bag, unfortunately.  

I'm pretty sure that @SGH's method worked quite well. The brisket was plenty moist nearly ten hours later.  In fact, it was way too moist. So much so that it was very difficult to slice.  I basically ended up cubing it in places.  

I don't think that had as much to do with leaving it in the oven as it did the fact that the brisket had cooked so quickly.  @cazzy was right about the texture on this one.  A lot of the fat simply hadn't rendered out.  I'd be curious to know if that's often what happens with "turbo" briskets.  Either that, or I just had one with way too much fat in the first place.  I had trimmed quite a bit off, but I think I still left too much on in places.  What can I say, it was the middle of the night and I just wanted to get it on the BGE and get some sleep.

I just got one pic - I'll post it here in a bit if I can get photobucket to cooperate.  

The good news is that the company loved it.  We nearly finished the whole thing between 7 people and a few kids.  Kids liked it too!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Here's a pic of it all (mostly) on the plate:

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks great from here.  I held one in my oven set to 170 degrees for 6-7 hours and it fell apart.  It was good...but it was pulled/cubed instead of sliced.  I used the maverick and my oven was cycling between 170-184 degrees so I think that was too hot.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I put my 14-lb choice packer on last night at 10PM and it is sitting at 180 right now after just over 12.5 hours.  FYI, my dome thermometer was reading the same (or very close) as my grid thermometer until I put the brisket on.  The dome thermometer has been reading about 100* lower than the grid thermometer ever since.  Not sure, but I'm guessing the dome thermometer isn't reading correctly because the brisket is too close to the probe (brisket is on the top of the AR extender).  Would have been much hotter at the grid level had I been relying on the dome thermometer... 
    Are you sure that the dome probe was not touching the brisket?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I put my 14-lb choice packer on last night at 10PM and it is sitting at 180 right now after just over 12.5 hours.  FYI, my dome thermometer was reading the same (or very close) as my grid thermometer until I put the brisket on.  The dome thermometer has been reading about 100* lower than the grid thermometer ever since.  Not sure, but I'm guessing the dome thermometer isn't reading correctly because the brisket is too close to the probe (brisket is on the top of the AR extender).  Would have been much hotter at the grid level had I been relying on the dome thermometer... 
    Are you sure that the dome probe was not touching the brisket?
    That was my original theory so I pulled it out farther but that didn't change much of anything.  Towards the end of the cook I looked at the difference again and is wasn't quite as large as I originally thought.  The Maverick was reading about 260* towards the back part of the grid while the dome thermometer was reading around 200*.  Double-checked with another thermometer that I dropped down through the DFMT and was reading between the grid and dome thermometers but closer to the grid.  Didn't worry about it too much as the cook progressed about as long as I thought it would for a 14lb brisket.

At 14 lbs, the brisket took up nearly every millimeter of a large CGS oval grid and I was using the oval ceramic stone for indirect.  Not sure if that played a factor.  I plan to double check my thermometers again before my next cook just in case.
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Does anybody see a problem with a 7lb (before cook) brisket being ftc for 6 hours?  I double wrapped it in foil, wrapped in a blanket, and placed in a cooler.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • @johnInCarolina - where'd you find a packer like that around here? Online?
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnInCarolina

@johnInCarolina - where'd you find a packer like that around here? Online?

It was easy. I just met the owner of Q-Shack at the Bruce Springsteen concert (not a joke).
  • @JohnInCarolina - that's awesome! But a little disappointing for me...  
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    @JohnInCarolina - that's awesome! But a little disappointing for me...  
    I know.  It started with me talking to him about how hard it is to find good packers in the triangle area.  They are currently getting theirs from the midwest, and he offered to sell me a few from his stock.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Sounds crazy, but have you tried your local Walmart?  I got a full brisket there (choice) for around 2.89lb.  It was very good too! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

I know.  It started with me talking to him about how hard it is to find good packers in the triangle area.  They are currently getting theirs from the midwest, and he offered to sell me a few from his stock.  

I haven't been there to look, but my Father-in-law always talks up the meat quality and selection at Red & White.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    Sounds crazy, but have you tried your local Walmart?  I got a full brisket there (choice) for around 2.89lb.  It was very good too! 
    I have, and they don't have them - just flats.  I have heard that the Walmart in Raleigh has full packers, but I haven't been able to make it over there yet to check.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I had something similiar happen. Put the packer of similar size on at 8AM this morning and it's already hit 170F and only been 4 hours. The temps been holding steady at ~275F per Thermoworks ThermoQ with probe attached about 3" above the brisket.

I went ahead and wrapped it... really surprised how fast it's cooking. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    SonVolt said:
    I had something similiar happen. Put the packer of similar size on at 8AM this morning and it's already hit 170F and only been 4 hours. The temps been holding steady at ~275F per Thermoworks ThermoQ with probe attached about 3" above the brisket.

You do realize that this thread is 4-1/2 years old right  :o

170 internal is around the temp it will stall, sometimes the stall can be 2 hours. Patience with brisket is required, or more beer.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • SonVolt
    brimee said:
    SonVolt said:

You do realize that this thread is 4-1/2 years old right  :o

I do realize that. I used the search function instead of starting a brand new thread. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    John broke the record for time holding a brisket in the oven.  4-1/2 years.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    John broke the record for time holding a brisket in the oven.  4-1/2 years.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a crazy theory that if something is cooking too fast, lowering the temperature might just retard the cook time.  I know...crazy balls, but that's how I roll.
    SonVolt said:
    Cooked a bit fast, but still came out super moist and tender.  Can't complain.

Looks like a winner to me brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    edited December 2018
    I have a crazy theory that if something is cooking too fast, lowering the temperature might just retard the cook time.  I know...crazy balls, but that's how I roll.

It was more of an observation, not a plea for help. Either way, it turned out about as acceptable a brisket can on an egg I suppose.