Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock improvement

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Spatchcock last night. My spatchcocks are getting better and better. I wish I knew who to give all the credit to, but all I know is I got all the info from the forum.

Prepped and seasoned the chicken(no oil) yesterday morning after work. Chicken in the refrigerator uncovered at 0730.

Chicken on the BGE at 1600. 375° raised direct. No flipping. Legs to the rear of the egg. Cooked approximately 50 minutes. Pulled when breast hit 160° and legs at 180° per ThermoPop.

Crispiest skin so far, yet still juicy.

What's everyone else doing to get the perfect spatchcock?

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. I cook them either raised direct between 350-375 degrees or I go indirect at 400-425 degrees. Either way they turn out excellent. Again yours looks outstanding. Nice job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks @SGH‌ . Which one works/taste the best when comparing direct vs indirect?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Just what you are. Cook a lot of them. If time I like 24 hours uncovered in fridge but 80% are cooked out of the bag. The higher heat (400) and raised works best for me. Cooking up top lets the dome cook for you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    open up the skin at the thick end of breast and slowly work your fingers into the leg. dump in the rub and work into the meat.  best if bird is a Grade A bird, insures full skin coverage over bird.

start skin side down for 5 to 10 minutes to give the skin a jump start on rendering.  can finish skin side down to help crisp the skin near the end. 

might go a little higher in the breast, 165-170 to help eliminate the redness near the bone.  breast will still be juicy. 
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't spatchcock.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Little Steven's Invertabird is now my favorite way of cooking chicken.  Take kitchen shear and make a short cut along the backbone and place the bird upside down on one of the wire chicken cooking racks.  All the meat is done at the same time as the legs and thighs are higher in the dome than the breast.  This also seems to keep the breast more juicy.  Perhaps the slightly cooler temp at the grate or the juices render down from the dark meat.  Don't know, don't care, just really good.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That bird looks eggcellent. I only spatchcock.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Are you guys doing fryers or roasters most of the time? I stick to fryers as I did a roaster once beer can style and it was rubber.
    Jacksonville FL
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    What is the difference between a fryer and a roaster, whether it is whole or cut up?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @stemc33 - I'll take the credit, your technique is just what I do - which I learned from this forum some time ago.

@JRWhitee - keep this beside my cook station, on the lap top - always found it useful, not sure where I got it. 

Get to Know Your ChickensBroilers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing about 2 1/2 poundsFryers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 poundsRoasters: Chickens less than 8 months old and weighing 3 1/2 to 5 poundsStewing Chickens: Chickens (usually hens) over 10 months old and weighing 5 to 7 poundsCapons: Castrated males that weigh 6 to 8 pounds****/Rooster: Male chickens over 10 months old weighing 6 to 8 pounds
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
    Omg. ..I just grab a chicken. Geez.
    Not talking about choking your chicken, talking about actual in the butcher's cooler chickens.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I like to use fresh herbs and citrus zest, along with Montreal Chicken blend or other poultry rubs. Often I found that the fresh herbs and delicate zest would burn or char causing it to loose its flavor or to have a sharp unappetizing taste. I started lifting the chickens skiing and rubbing the flesh underneath with olive oil. Then I use an ice tea (long handled) spoon to sprinkle my herb, zest, rub blend all over the breast and thighs. This works very well. No more burned herbs and zest, and lots of flavor. I highly recommend this method. I coat the outer skiing with olive oil and sprinkle on kosher salt and fresh ground pepper only.  My favorite are the Coleman Organic roasters about 3 or 4 lbs each and come in a  two pack with a green wrapper. 
  • stemc33
    Options
    +1 with what @henapple‌ said. I just look for one that's about 5lbs.

@Skiddymarker‌ , if your gonna take credit, I must say thanks.

I can get a whole chicken for about $5.00 and they're so easy. I used to just buy boneless skinless breast and only get a half breast with ribs/skin on occasion.

A new door to my taste buds has been opened. Since I started cooking spatchcock , I've only cooked wings once, all other chicken has been spatchcock.

@tjv‌ , Thanks for tip. I'll try taking the next one a little higher in temp and see if I like it.

@JRWhitee‌ , Thanks
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    I get mine at Costco two chickens for around $10.00 probably 5lbs each. I cut out the back bone and spread it bone side down.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    2.5lb chickens and 11lb turkeys IMO are best and cooked spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Looks good...  I pull the skin off mine, the rub gets into the meat better and the meat still stays very moist.
    Rowlett, Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    TMay said:
    Looks good...  I pull the skin off mine, the rub gets into the meat better and the meat still stays very moist.

We buy some boneless skinless cause the wife likes it but I like chicken skin, lots of flavor (fat) there.
    Jacksonville FL
  • TexasBelliott
    Options
    Beautiful bird there! Mouth waters just looking at it. Well done!
    LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    I find that there is not really that much difference in them as long as the fire is burning clean. That being said if I were forced to pick a winner I would say raised direct by a little. Again I find that both methods yield excellent results.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    @SGH‌ I was hesitant to try spatchcock direct because I had visions of a gooey mess accumulating at the bottom of the BGE. Also, afraid that I would burn the crap out of it too easily. Going indirect is so much more forgiving when cooking. After reading several post on spatchcock chicken, I decided to go raised direct and never looked back.

I've noticed goop on some of the left over lump. But at the bottom of the egg there's nothing but dry ash.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @stemcc33 I think the only thing you might be doing wrong is not doing two at the same time. Take the second one, debone it, cube or shred it up, portion it out (per wife's instructions) and freeze it so she has Egged chicken on hand for casseroles. Great time saver.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Spatchcock last night. My spatchcocks are getting better and better. I wish I knew who to give all the credit to, but all I know is I got all the info from the forum.
    Prepped and seasoned the chicken(no oil) yesterday morning after work. Chicken in the refrigerator uncovered at 0730.
    Chicken on the BGE at 1600. 375° raised direct. No flipping. Legs to the rear of the egg. Cooked approximately 50 minutes. Pulled when breast hit 160° and legs at 180° per ThermoPop.
    What's everyone else doing to get the perfect spatchcock? Looks really good and thanks for the cooking info.  for sure will do the same this weekend.image

stemc33 said:
    What's everyone else doing to get the perfect spatchcock?

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @stemc33 What I have been doing is infusing canola oil with garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, etc (what ever your fav is). 

I then take some rub and add to that mixture (let that cool).  It makes almost a paste.  I work my fingers under the skin of the chicken to separate the skin from meat.  I take the paste and rub all under the skin on the meat.  Seems more flavor penetrates to me.  I also season the outer skin too for flavor. 

I let the bird rubbed down overnight (preferably), but sometimes I don't if time is an issue. 

I like 400° indirect for my spatch for about 50min to 1 hour, but I really go to temp.  Once the breast hits 160° I pull it. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site