Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No wind=tough temp?

Options
I was doing some wings last night indirect and there was absolutely no breeze at all. I had the bottom vent opened about two inches and the daisy wheel off and the egg just didn't want to get up to temp. Finally towards the end of the cook the dome temp was getting up to about 375°. And there was plenty of lump lit. And yes, the dome thermo is calibrated and I was using a maverick as well. Does anyone else have problems getting a good fire going hot when there's no wind or breeze whatsoever?
NW IOWA

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not when it's over 100℉ outside to begin with =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Clogged?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    JK. Obviously if there were more wind it may help. But, there is a natural drafting that occurs with the egg w/ the lower and DFMT. Check for a clogged or partially clogged fire grid and same on the fire box holes. You have to be able to get air for proper temp control.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    Options
    Today was my first use with the High-Que fire grate.  I previously had trouble getting the egg above 300 and could see through the ash door that there was lump clogging the holes.  The High-Que seems to have taken care of that.  
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    It wasn't clogged. I think it's just tougher to get a hotter temp going when it's so calm.
    NW IOWA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Lately there have been a lot of issues with not being able to reach or maintain temp. It's not the breeze. Two things may be causing this, high humidity causing the lump to absorb moisture and reduced airflow due to a clogged grate or too many small pieces. Try storing your lump in a dry place and a high queue grate.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I normally don't have a problem reaching or holding temp. In my experiences I've noticed that no wind can make reaching temp hard. I've done indirect cooks at 400 with the DFMT on and opened some and the bottom vent opened an inch. It just seems the calmer the breeze, the more I have to open the vents. My grate is not clogged.
    NW IOWA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Did you just fill the egg from the bottom of the bag of lump?? I used to see the same thing when the last bit of lump was nothing but dust.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    As long as I have enough lump I never have a problem, and we seldom have wind where my egg is located. I think the others have given good advice as it relates to air flow and humidity.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What brother @NPHuskerFL‌ said above.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I find I have an easier time leaving the bottom damper open fully and just dialing the daisy wheel. The only time use the bottom damper is when I'm trying to get down to 250 or so.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just the opposite here. Only use the daisy wheel if cooking below 300. Haven't seen any issue with no breeze. More of an issue keeping a low temp in high wind.
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Shop vac with the hose on the exhaust side. Works every time for me when I'm in a hurry. Hair dryer would work as well. Turns the egg into a blast furnace if you want.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Since I light with my looftlighter, I will bust it out too of I can't get up to temp. A little easier than pullin' out the shop vac!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I keep a small shop vac in my deck box. I'm not weird or anything... Ok, maybe I am...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    The only time I've ever had a problem was last week when my dumb@$$ decided to take apart the grill and not line everything up properly and there are times during the winter I grill in my garage where there is no wind at all...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Philly35‌ you need to look at all aspects of the fire triangle or I should say fire tetrahedron to figure out the problem. I agree that the wind helps considerable when it comes to helping with the draft. Your problem is probably airflow, but you might have something else going on. If you can establish a good hot fire, the heat will create more draft allowing more oxygen to get to the fuel regardless if there is a breeze. A good fire will suck oxygen like a.....

I occasionally struggle with my fires(not just on the BGE). It frustrates the $#!+ out of me that I can't figure out how to consistently build a perfect fire. Sometimes I can get my house over 90° when it's -10° and other times I struggle to keep it at 65° when it's 30°. I use a small coal stove and it's finicky.

For some reason, I have a feeling that everyone struggles at one time or another to start a perfect fire every time they light up the BGE .

Im not much of a fire artist, but I'm sure there's somebody on the forum that knows and can explain how to get things hot from a science perspective.

In the mean time, I suggest using the tips @DMW‌ or @xiphoid007‌ mentioned.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming