Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possibly best Fathers Day ever - Pig Head - Pics

Options
First of all, Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there! What a blessing it is!

So we have made several visits to Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati over the last few months. My son has been really intrigued by the pig heads in the meat case. He has been asking me for a month now if we could do one. So this weekend after the company picnic we headed up to get one. I have been reading (on the forum of course! Where else could I find help with such a thing) on how to cook such a thing. So we came home today and fired up the Egg indirect at 300 and threw it on. No seasoning, no nothing. Just wrapped the ears in foil to prevent burning. Had every intention of nibbling a little and throwing the whole damn thing away but making a great memory. Wow was I surprised. I was rushed for time and still probably wasted way more than I should have because we were rushed to get to SWMBO's parents house. All I can say is that my kids fought over who got the first bite of the snout. I really need schooled before I do this again, and I will do this again, so that I know how to properly cut, serve, and eat this. It was some of the best pork I have ever eaten. The meat on the snout, just behind the eye socket, and back of the head (brain?) were some of the best pork meat I have ever had in my life. I am still quite simply shocked at how good it was. My hope with this post is that some of you will give me advice for next time and that some of you will overcome your thoughts of what it is and give it a try!
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The look on your kiddos face says it all!! Looks like they enjoyed!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That is awesome! Love the fact that your kids weren't freaked out by it and pushed you to try something new! Isn't that supposed to be our jobs! Kids are Awesom!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    They are way more adventurous than their mother cares for them to be. They expect their steak to be medium at the most. It was a great day! They want octopus next.
    Columbus IN
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    I want to try this very soon...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Priceless!
    canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Great cook, and yeah, its cool the kids wanted it. My wife was kinda grossed out, made me remove the eyes before she would even look at the head.

Did a hog head 2 summers ago. Just barely fit in my medium. The butcher recommended cooking in the same lay out that you used, but the head wouldn't fit. Ended up wedging it in the drip pan, sitting on 2 fire bricks laid flat.

I was afraid it would get too hot. It didn't. The dome never got above 220. But the fat rendered well, and the lower portion of the head was poached in its own fat. There was so much fat that I had to scoop it out 2 times to keep the pan from overflowing.

The only thing I did for prep was rub the exposed meat at the back of the heat with Dizzy Dust. I basted the head a few times w. its drippings. Think I used kickory for smoke.

We went for the cheeks first, and those put us in a feeding frenzy. There wasn't a bit that wasn't good, but the meat around the mouth seemed to be the best to us. There wasn't any carving plan, and we pretty much just pulled it to shreds.

Also wrapped the ears in foil, but they overcooked, and turned to leather. Snout was much the same. If/when I do this again, I'll set aside the skin and see if I can get it to puff up for cracklings.

The price was rather high. The butcher is a specialty shop, and there's a chance the head was from a Berkshire. Whatever the reason, we agreed is was a spectacular meal.

As it happens, I've got an octopus in the freezer I hope to do this week. My wife is pretty dubious about that, too.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Love it...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd give anything if we had a Jungle Jims. I could live there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice post. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    What's the consensus on the best way to cook one of these to end up with crispy skin?

And, if anyone knows a place to source one in Dallas, I was appreciate the referral.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    This one was cooked at about 350 degrees give or take. Not as pretty but just as tasty I bet. 
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    My buddy who is Mexican said as a kid this was his biggest treat. His mom would dig a pit in their yard and bury it covered in banana leaves directly over hot coals.
    Dearborn MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo! What an awesome cook with the kids. I can just imagine the stories your kids will tell their friends.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @cssmd27 I don't know that the skin could have been any more crispy on this. It was definitely one of if not the best memory I have cooking for the kids so far. They cannot wait to do it again.
    Columbus IN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    gdenby said:
    As it happens, I've got an octopus in the freezer I hope to do this week. 

Where else on teh Intranetz can you read a statement like that??  :))

Cool-looking cook!  :-bd

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I know my wife is going to make me, make this.  Now just to procure a pig head locally...
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Yes Daron, nothing like fresh Chicharrone. You can fry the skin besides that cook and dip them in hot sauces for the real Chicharrone's not the puffy garbage in the bags they call pork skins. I also like to take a flat piece of the crispy skin and place it on top of a pile of pulled pork sandwich for a crispy addition. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @KenfromMI ! I will remember that next time for sure!

@NibbleMeThis I am sure that just like anything else there are different quality levels with pig heads, however I paid next to nothing for it. It was regularly priced at $11.xx and I paid $6.46 for a 12.91 lb head. Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati calls itself an "International Market" I would guess any ethnic store similar might have or be able to get it. If you are anywhere in the midwest, I'm sure any pig farmer could hook you up too.
    Columbus IN
  • cssmd27
    Options
    Daron (or anyone else), what kind of cook time can I expect on this @300 indirect?  What's your measure of doneness?  I've read someone else say 190 degrees, but where do you even measure that?

I have one going on my Egg in the morning!
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    ahhh what exactly do you eat on this?
  • cssmd27
    Options
    bearBGE said:
    ahhh what exactly do you eat on this?
    The whole thing.  The skin should be exquisite and facial meat is a delicacy.  You have to pick the pieces out though.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Mine cooked right at 3 hours between 300-350. I checked temp in jowls. Everything on it is edible! My only regret looking back is I didn't eat the tongue.
    Columbus IN