Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Spatchcock chicken started on egg, finished on open grill?

Options
I hope the hive mind of the egg forum can help me on this one.

I'm having 12 people out to a party at my marina next Saturday.

I want to make 3 spatchcock chickens and marinaded flank steak on the egg a day or two ahead of time and then finish them on the open grill at the marina.

These grills are just a plate of metal on a stand with a grill above, no lid no body - the kind of thing you would only use for steaks, burgers and dogs.
Like this:

If Chicken should reach an internal temp of 165, when should I pull them off the egg and then the next day - how will I know that they are done on the open grill?  If I let them reach 165 on the second day, my guess is that they will be burned and/or dried out.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge to share on this? 

Thanks in advance!

Grillin

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I would be scared to try this, but that's just me

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah.. I don't know.. No way to really "partially" cook and finish them the following day.

On a grill that small, and with that much food, you'd be looking at some issues anyways. You could try an indirect cook with it, but won't really help you much with no way to radiate the heat on the food.

Maybe cook the food the day of, and plan to have them done before you meet everyone. Wrap it up, FTC it and carry it to them.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Cook everything completely then reheat, you could always cook the flank steak fresh on the grill you pictured but I would do the spatched on the egg then just reheat...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    no way I'd do that, lol
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'd just brine the birds and marinat the steak and cook day of. Fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos