Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick prob question

Options
As always, thanks to all for your help.  After reading about the Maverick, I decided its a "must have."  Received it this past Friday and haven't had a chance
to try it yet.  It seems to work...reads temp, synchs etc.  I assume the food probe would go in the roast or whatever you are cooking.   Is then, the BBQ probe for monitoring the dome temp and if so where  and how do you attach it?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    There should be a clip thing to hook it up to the cooking grid.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Most people attach the BBQ probe to the cooking grid inside the shadow of the PlateSetter. You don't want direct heat on the probe as it will skew you temp readings.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    Mine came with clip that attaches to the grate. I have 2 probes that you can set up to monitor 2 meats or the dome and 1 meat. I also found it helpful to watch the youtube video for the exact model you have.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    And just so you are prepared on you first use - the dome temp(standard guide for temp) will not match the grid temp of the Maverick, on a low n slow they will eventually come together but not for several hrs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Wrap the probe leads with foil to avoid moisture and direct IR from the lump. You only need to wrap until the lead is outside the egg. Sounds like you have the new 733, enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!