Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Timer Spatch Chicken

ColAngus
ColAngus Posts: 123
We're having some neighbors over tonight for dinner.  I bought 2 whole chickens and need some advice.

I can't have a raised direct grate (no bricks or anything to elevate), so I guess I'll have to go the indirect route.  

I have these rubs to choose from:
  • Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
  • Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk
  • Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin
  • 3 Beer BBQ Rub
I also have garlic (power and fresh), fresh basil, fresh oregano, and fresh rosemary.

I'm going to also serve roasted rosemary potatoes and garlic cloves (in the oven).  So I don't know if using rosemary in the chicken will be overkill.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2014
    IMO the Dizzy Dust. Still direct but watch it so much closer (no way to find 3 bricks?). If raised I cook direct at 400 but if I was doing your cook I would still go direct at 350 tops. Lose the rosemary. We still want pictures.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ColAngus
    Thanks Mickey!

Every picture I see of people using bricks to raise, it looks like there are two grates.  Is that correct?

Or can I place the bricks where the plate setter goes?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ColAngus said:
    Thanks Mickey!

Every picture I see of people using bricks to raise, it looks like there are two grates.  Is that correct?

Or can I place the bricks where the plate setter goes?

Not needed. Put bricks on edge of fire ring.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• +1 to Mickey's advice.  

Any bricks will do, just set around the edge on the Fire Ring. That's what I do.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • ColAngus
    Just bought 3 bricks for $1.70 at Home Depot.  The lady at checkout asked what I only needed 3 bricks for.  I told her it was for my grill, she thought I was building a brick grill.  :>
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Even cheaper than bricks is empty beer cans, and it's more fun too. Chug 3 beers and stand the empties in the plate setter notches. Set grid on top. I was skeptical until I was at my buddies place shortly after he got his LBGE. He didn't have another raised direct method, so we tried it. It is surprisingly stable.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DMW said:

Even cheaper than bricks is empty beer cans, and it's more fun too. Chug 3 beers and stand the empties in the plate setter notches. Set grid on top. I was skeptical until I was at my buddies place shortly after he got his LBGE. He didn't have another raised direct method, so we tried it. It is surprisingly stable.

This. The only unstable part is the cook after shotgunning 3 beers.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If there are 3 people helping with the beers, not as big of a challenge. :) Me, my buddy, and his wife.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2014
    Tsunami spin is great on chicken. I would go one with Tsunami and the other with dizzy dust and compare. I did that last night one with Texas Chicken Tickler and the other with Raging River.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    +1 on the Tsunami spin. It's amazing on chicken. Also, I do indirect spatchcock all of the time.... I love em!

If you have a CI skillet you should cook the potatoes under the chicken in the skillet. They turn out amazing! Below is a link to a thread I made for an indirect CI skillet spatchcock I cooked the other day. Even if you don't go in this direction with tonight's cook it's always a good thing to have a few more cook ideas in the ol' brain bank ;)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168690/savory-spatchcock-ideas#latest
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    DMW said:

DMW said:

If there are 3 people helping with the beers, not as big of a challenge. :) Me, my buddy, and his wife.

Threesome?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Are you day drankin again?? You seem to be on a roll!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Did my first spatchcock chicken the other day. Tsunami Spin rub. I'm officially obsessed!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Lightweight.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX