Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catching Fire

Options
No, not the movie.

One of the many things I've learned about here, but haven't mastered (yet) is catching the fire on the way up.

For example, I'm doing 5 hour ribs today. Just filled my LBGE and placed and lit one fire cube in the center.

My guess is that I DO NOT wait for all the lump to become fully glowing....just until maybe 5-6 inches of he center starts to glow.

Then install PS, grid, shut lid adjust vents and stabilize at my desired temp? (225-250)

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm almost 1 year into the life but my feet still don't reach the pedals.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Yes - that is the general idea, but I find that hot center needs to be more like 10" first. Normally that's about 15 to 20 minutes after lighting depending on the wind as well.

I too am doing ribs today, but I prefer turbo so it only takes about 2 hours 20 minutes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Thanks. My last 3 or 4 rib cooks were turbo and they were a little hit and miss. SWMBO (another tidbit I've learned) is in Florida visiting her Mom so I've got all day with only a few honey-dos left on the list.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Light the lump in 3-4 places. Install whatever accessories you will be using. Leave dome and bottom vent open for 5 min or so. Close dome, no DFMT and lower still open. Pay attention. When dome temp gets within 10-15* of target, add dfmt if using and close vents to approx settings for desired temp. I have never looked to see how much of my lump is burning.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dmchicago
    Options
    @‌Carolina Q Interesting variation. To late for this cook but next time. Thanks.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'm in the @Carolina_Q camp of catching temp close to target temp. With lump to within a couple of inches of the top of the fire ring, the electric starter is plugged in for 8 minutes. When the Maverick timer alerts me, I pull the starter, drop in the setter and raised drip pan, grid and install the pit probe and close the dome, set the Maverick alarm for 10-15 below the target cook temp. After the pit temp alert, drop the DFMT on, dial the petals and bottom vent to expected temp settings. Reset the pit alarm and I keep an eye on the pit temp until it stabilizes.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Lots of toys for me to wish for @Skiddymarker‌. They are on and stable.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    heres some great helpful info you may have seen it already but could be very benificial

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/696661/x/p1  <<<<  TONS of great stuff

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/670088/x/p1    << Vent Settings
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM