Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bobby Flay and ribs...wtf

I was looking at recipes for ribs and Bobby Flay always seems to say cook ribs for 2 hours at 225-250.  WTF??

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    i have some ribs on right now that are being cooked at 225 .
    they are beef ribs but that temp 225 is usually how i cook them unless i turbo them
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Yeah i dont see anything wrong with 225...but it will take way longer than 2 hours for them to be ready! 2 hours at 225 is cray cray.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    He boils them first.   =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    He starts them direct before going indirect for the 2 hours.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Hmm... That's weird. Perhaps you'll just have to give the recipe a try!
    NW IOWA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just read the link. Yep, he goes direct over hot coals meat side down for 10 minutes. That would do it. He also says after going indirect 225* it will be about 2 hours or til tender (think toothpick test). And then for non-ceramics he says to go back to direct bone side down when saucing. I'm guessing he says that because he doesn't want someone trying to remove a hot plate setter at his recommendation and getting sued. If I would do this I would go back to direct when saucing. Seems like an interesting technique.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Depends on the cut of the ribs. Here in Canuckistan we get Dutch or Danish back ribs that come from pygmy pigs, I'm sure. They are cutest little things, not much meat and they are always done in 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours at low pit temps. Here are some I called gopher ribs.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ gets his at Sonic.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN