Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New member, New to Eggs, Just built table

imageimageThanks for the great website. There is an extraordinary amount of information on this site and it has proved helpful in getting use to cooking with the egg. It is a very useful tool and blows away anything I have used in the past. Already have smoked several pastrami's on it and the results were exceptional. It is so easy to control compared to my homemade smoker.

Anyway, thought I would share a few photos of the table I just built for our new "large" egg. The frame is all welded construction. Almost everything I build is out of steel. I like working with wood as well but felt that steel was a better choice for this application.

The legs are made from 3"x3/16" square tube. The top and resting frame is all 1" x 1/4" square tube. Trimmed out the lower resting frame and edge in 1" Hemlock. The egg is resting on a piece of 3/4" solid brass plate that is elevated above the wood with a 5/8"" air space so the wood does not get hot. Countertop is granite split in half centered up on the egg so there will be no worries about the stone cracking from extreme temperature differences. Total width of the frame is 48" with a 50" granite top. Depth is 25". Heavy casters for ease of moving.

We live in Alaska and cook outside year round so I did not want to take the chance of the countertop cracking when it is 30 below and we decide to fire up the egg. The whole project cost me $0 to build. All the steel was salvaged from construction projects I have worked on. The granite was given to me by a friend who owns a plumbing supply house and was a showroom piece they were going to throw out so I saved it from going to the trash heap. I have a good friend who has his own granite business so he cut the hole in the counter for me. The paint was leftover from a project I did last year.

Hopefully the photos come through. It seems to be a hassle attaching photos on this site.

Comments