Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump coal...

Options
13»

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I also got my egg from Elliott's Hardware, during the eggfest two years ago. They stocked OO at the time.  i believe they had it at $10 a bag.
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    So I am newer here. I bought one bag of BGE when I got the egg. A friend has bought me a bag of Rockwood which I haven't used. I just happen to be in St Louis for the weekend. Should I get more Rockwood while I am here.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @Hunter1881-strike while the iron is hot.  And you can let your SWMBO take a bus or plane home to enable a larger quantity to fit in the car.  Never know when you will be back- :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Hunter1881-strike while the iron is hot.  And you can let your SWMBO take a bus or plane home to enable a larger quantity to fit in the car.  Never know when you will be back- :)>-
    +1. The couch time will be worth it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    So I am newer here. I bought one bag of BGE when I got the egg. A friend has bought me a bag of Rockwood which I haven't used. I just happen to be in St Louis for the weekend. Should I get more Rockwood while I am here.

What part of town are you in?  I'll try to get you to the nearest dealer that I know is open on Sunday and has it in stock.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I've tried the Cowboy before - it seems to be the most readily available lump charcoal whereas the only other place around here that carries lump charcoal only carries BGE brand. I didn't care for the Cowboy at all. I recently did buy some Royal Oak from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084NOGQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was $30 for a 17.5 lb bag (including Prime shipping) whereas I pay about $27 locally for a 20 lb bag of BGE charcoal. The Royal Oak was pretty good. Not much ash, less sparking than with the BGE brand.

I also bought some Ozark Oak charcoal from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CGECB/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (although I see it's no longer available). I paid $16.99 for a 10 lb bag. Frankly, I didn't find it to be any better than the Royal Oak, and found the Royal Oak to only be a little better than the BGE brand, so I've been sticking with the BGE.
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    @caliking‌ , @lousubcap‌. Swmbo has a sister that lives here. We are here every few months. And are in her car 8-X. @stlcharcoal‌ we are staying in OFallon. Shopping in chesterfield. And traveling through downtown. Also stopping at Arnold's Smoke and Fireplace to look at eggcessories on the way out
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @caliking‌ , @lousubcap‌. Swmbo has a sister that lives here. We are here every few months. And are in her car 8-X. @stlcharcoal‌ we are staying in OFallon. Shopping in chesterfield. And traveling through downtown. Also stopping at Arnold's Smoke and Fireplace to look at eggcessories on the way out

In Chesterfield Valley, The Smokehouse Market stocks the 20# bags (not sure how many they have on hand.)  But if you're going to Arnold Stove / Fireside Hearth & Home, they just picked up two pallets of 20's last week, so they'll have it.  Same goes for St. Louis Homefires in Ballwin (just south of Chesterfield.)

Enjoy STL!  If you get a chance to visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens, do so......looks good this time of year. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I just ordered another 6 bags of Rockwood from FireCraft...Under special instructions I put please handle with care...My Last delivery was a little crushed..I know there are a lot of people handling the boxes before I get it, so I will hold thumbs.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌ my Ace is bringing in shipment of RW for me and their demo. I'll get it tomorrow. It will be my first bags of RW since I've been using WGWW for awhile now. I hope to have my new lump. Also they may get some OO. Not sure but, maybe they Hagan Ace go through y'all for purchase. I'm stoked to try it out.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Maccool‌ - unfortunately, you are overpaying by a bit for your lump. If you don't have Walmart or Home Depot close by to at least buy Royal Oak for much less, then try firecraft.com - free shipping if you spend $100.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    I bought royal oak am in a little pinch and I really wanna order some RW
  • Maccool
    edited July 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Maccool‌ - unfortunately, you are overpaying by a bit for your lump. If you don't have Walmart or Home Depot close by to at least buy Royal Oak for much less, then try firecraft.com - free shipping if you spend $100.
    We have both, although I do hate going to Walmart. I don't recall ever seeing any lump charcoal in either place, but I'll give them a look next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip.
  • bearBGE
    Options
    I saw it at home depot but that was up here in Minnesota different locations could carry different product

• Maccool
    Options
    Heh. As it happens, I'm "up here" in Minnesota too....:)
  • bearBGE
    Options
    @Maccool I love being "up here" in Minnesota!!!  What neck of the woods you from?
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    In the Walmarts in my area the bags of charcoal are usually found in the gardening area with a couple out by the grills.  If you don't see it with the grills ask as they generally carry Royal Oak year round although it tends to get low in winter so I stock up on the fall sales.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Maccool
    Options
    @bearBGE I'm in the Brainerd Lakes area. Specifically Serpent Lake in Deerwood Township. We grill year round, although I have to say this year was challenging given the amount of snow that kept accumulating on the deck. The other problem was the BGEs freezing shut. Solved that one with a 300-watt lightbulb on a drop cord through the top vent. Opens right up after about 1/2 hour, even at -20 degrees.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Our Walmart has stopped carrying Royal Oak and now just carries Cowboy brand.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options

Lump whore here, will try anything. Maple Leaf is excellent, Canucks rave about it the way our US cousins rave about Rockwood or Ozark Oak. 

I say be promiscuous. Do it all. Like any recipe, if you are having folks for dinner, stick with what you know works. Don't be afraid to try something different, specially if it is on sale. 

Royal Oak is a good reliable product, not really great but not bad either. 
    Can you send me a bag of maple leaf?I'll gladly pay since you can't buy it in the USA.
    McKinney, TX
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    @bearBGE unless I missed it I didn't see mention of the Menards RO lump (green bag) in this thread. Decent lump at a good price. IMO much better than the orange RO from WM and HD.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN