Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanging Ten with the Prehistoric Cowboy

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
I'll start by saying that this was a nonstop rolling type of cook. It took a total of about 1.5hr from the time of lighting the lump to service.

It all started out with Boneless Ribeyes, NY Strips, Warm Water Atlantic Lobster, Sea Scallops and Corn on the Cob. Prep»» Steaks were a simple kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Lobster w/ sweet cream butter, Scallops with blackening and a little lime.

imageimageimage

Steaks»»»all 4 raised direct at 375℉ until to desired IT. And then to a rest.

While the c.o.t.c went on raised direct with the CI skillet below preheating (took about 15 minutes). Pulled the c.o.t.c. and the raised grid. Next»»»on the CI skillet at 425℉ with a little sweet cream butter the sea scallops went on. And then the lobster.

imageimageimage

3 of the steaks got reverse seared on the CI grid at about 650℉. And then mine went in for my first ever caveman.
imageimageimageimageimage

Lastly plated. Enjoy B-)
imageimageimageimageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice pics, love the yuengling, but mist importantly how was the caveman????
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    I'm stuffed but that made me hungry again. Well done! And I appreciate a nice looking mise en place!
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ I'll most definitely be doing the caveman for myself and possibly my Son again. I liked it a lot. Although I think I get close to the same result using a CI skillet sear as far as a crispy crust. But, it was definitely money. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stevethegreat‌ thank you!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    What can I say brother? Excellent beyond belief. Ribeye and lobster. That's as good as it gets my friend. Enjoy! =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks man @SGH‌ Our Son & his GF said the NYS were awesome too (I didn't taste those so I'll just take their word ;-) ).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    No doubt in my mind. They look excellent!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Oh Man!! Three of my favorite things to eat all in one meal. I cooked scallops and of course steaks, but never lobster . I've only eaten lobster in restaurants. I have to try it on my egg one day.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ Thanks B-). I've done lobster a few times and I've done them several different ways. On the CI skillet gave a nice light crust with a deep flavor. Once ya try it on the egg you'll be hooked. The prep is key to an okay vs a great lobster IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Awesome!! Be over in a few!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    fusionhq said:

Awesome!! Be over in a few!!

Thanks! Bring your appetite Brian. There's plenty! If you're serious PM or txt me & I'll give you directions. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fusionhq‌ OBTW nice Avatar! =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I think this may be the post of the weekend!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You said prep is key to a great lobster. Would you give farther detail on how you prepped? Wanting to grill some myself . I always boil and there is virtually no prep for boiling. Don't want to mess up when I grill them. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @EGGjlmh‌ :\"> Thank you very much!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ Prep on tails. Several ways to do it and I've done both. Easier to visualize so here are some decent references. This chef references using imitation crab on the stuffing but, I use a blue crab chunk similar to which you would use in a crab cake. And one more I like for sauce. The last one uses a live Maine Lobster which is awesome but, I did this same recipe with a warm water lobster and did it using the tails (whatever you have available). There are tons of good recipes and these are just a few I've used with excellent results.

Lobster Oil: http://youtu.be/pYy91BhgMAU

stuffed lobster tail: http://youtu.be/zARE-wcdyKE

Crab Cakes recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys: http://youtu.be/a40eMMQyRQY

Baked Stuffed Lobster recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys: http://youtu.be/Oo2lP0abSds

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    That last video looks like the ticket. Going to try that for sure. Stuffing and all. Thanks for all the videos.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One of the worst meals I've seen.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @henapple‌ thanks man! :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Meal looks good.

On that crab cake video: The only thing he does right is use Maryland blue crab. Way too many bread crumbs, Worcestershire and mustard are necessary, along with Old Bay. Plus onions. Dafuq?
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌Thank you. :-)
    I used blue crab big lump chunks and some shredded for my crab cakes. Think I posted a discussion when I did it. Good stuff. FL has some excellent blue crabs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Bumped at the request of Mrs. SGH.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Mrs. SGH loves the husker bottle opener.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

@NPHuskerFL‌
    Mrs. SGH loves the husker bottle opener.

Thanks ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice!  =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

SGH said:
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Mrs. SGH loves the husker bottle opener.
    I was going to agree that the Husker bottle opener was the prettiest picture of all.  We just returned from a road trip from Tampa Bay to Lincoiln/Omaha and back!

Go Big Red!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks @Phatchris‌ & @DMW‌
    @thetrim‌ hopefully "the bottle opener" is not my prettiest food pic or stick a fork in me I'm done. ;) lol. (assuming you are more referencing to the the Beautiful State of Nebraska B-) ). Agree!
    Sounds like an excellent road trip! Sounds like you enjoyed your trip to NE The Great Plains. Originally from there? I ask because not to many people pack up to drive from FL to NE otherwise :-). And yes GBR!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Wow! A three-run homer. Nice.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And nice choice of beverage. I was just at the Victory Brewery for a work event last week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker