Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Question

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Rutland complete.
    A special thanks to @RRP for all his help and guidance. imageimageimageimage
    This is how much gasket was left over when I was complete with the install. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Now it's complete. Weather finally cooperated.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:

@NPHuskerFL‌
    Now it's complete. Weather finally cooperated.

Open dome shot? Or is it not cured yet? Looks good from here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    Not cured. Finished gluing at 7:03pm CST. Will be tomorrow.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

You are correct in letting it cure properly. I mean it will last you for years so why rush the manufacturers suggested 24 hour cure period? Granted it seems dry to the touch in an hour, but the cure is a chemical process - not a heat generated one. BtW that excess Permatex can easily be trimmed with a sharp utility knife after the cure. Some people get impatient or seem to want it to appear perfect right then and instead create themselves additional problems by smearing the uncured adhesive.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

No rush ;-)
    I'm sure you'll post once she's ready. Nice job man.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Yes sir. Your included instructions said to wait 24 hours so that's what I'm going to do. Again thanks for all your help.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I installed the Rutland when y'all left. Will be back in action tomorrow!!

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I had another half bag of OO lump I meant to give you. Also, I need you to text me your address.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    No problem.

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Welcome to the Rutland family brother. I have it on the mini and large. I also think it looks better than the standard gasket.

Look forward to the cooks and keep up the good work.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    Thank you brother. My vertical cabinet has the Rutland rope gasket on both doors. Seems to be the real deal. Will have the egg back in action tomorrow night!

Status- Standing by.

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Be sure to "scrunch" the gasket before installing it.  It will be noticably wider that it was when you bought it.  
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    At 7:03pm my gasket will have cured for 24 hours. Is it good to start cooking or do I need to do some type of burn off in your estimate? Thanks.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Deckhand‌
    I scrunched it back as I was installing it. Hope I did it right. We will see in a few hours!

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ At 7:03pm my gasket will have cured for 24 hours. Is it good to start cooking or do I need to do some type of burn off in your estimate? Thanks.

you're fine. Only a handful of people will claim they smell anything while starting their first fire after application, but even if they do it will be very short! Nothing to worry about anyway!
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Thanks my friend. Going to do some pineapples and a stuffed pork loin then.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Just removed the Saran Wrap. Fixing to bolt the dome back on. Looks like I may have got carried away with the Permatex. imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    @SGH --- carried away is an understatement! I recommend that a bed of Permatex be laid down using a toothed trowel or at least buttered onto the edge and then press the Rutland into it. Tiny beads of Permatex may ooze out on top, but you have a large amount all over your gasket! That Permatex will be rock hard and that won't give the Rutland much or any spring. I honestly don't have a clue how well that gasket is going to stand up for you...sorry
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Mine was pretty messy. Just use it, the exposed orange will start to darken. You will be fine. I would not bother to.fix.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    Mission accomplished. Counting down to 7:03pm. We shall see.image

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Mine for example now darkening.
    Seattle, WA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Has anyone tried using braided steel for a gasket?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    Thanks man. Going to give it a try here shortly. If it doesn't do good I will redo it. If it works will leave it as is. Again thanks.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    I was worried about under gluing it. I'm kind of messed up in that sense.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Zmokin‌
    I haven't. My big vertical came with the Rutland Rope gasket so I thought I would go with the Rutland on my egg as well.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Should be fine. Live and lessen learned. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I think it will be ok as well. Going to find out in a few minutes.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    First fire with new Rutland gasket. The 24 hour wait seemed more like 24 years!!!!image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @RRP‌
    So far the Rutland has performed flawlessly. No bad smell or anything.

Status- Standing by.