Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18 Hours and Worth the Wait

Options
Cooked a 10 lb. brisket low and slow.   And I mean slooooooooooow.   Pulled it off at 18 hours and it was fantastic.  Best thing I've cooked on the Egg so far.

imageimageimage

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Looks righteous man, well done.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like what I'm seeing my friend. Excellent job! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Most eggcellent-and since I mis-fired with a few posts on your prior thread, I'm glad for a chance to see the results and appreciate your cook.  Nothing better off the BGE than a brisket (and I'm not from Texas).  Enjoy the eats-you earned it!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Man that looks amazing. You nailed it.

May want to pop a few extra Niacin tonight!  ;-)

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Looks Great, how much did it weigh? What temp did you cook it at? What temp did you pull it and did you wrap it or FTC?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Nice bark, nice smoke ring! Looks like a winner to me :D
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @Grillmagic  It weighed 10 lbs; I cooked it between 225 and 250 although overnight that varied a bit, dropping down to about 195 until my Maverick woke me.  I pulled it around 190 degrees and thought it wasn't going to be tender because I probed it and it seemed like there was a lot of resistance.  Can't explain why because the meat was tender.

Newtown Square, PA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  Regardless, a great cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Looks great!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    lousubcap said:

If you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  Regardless, a great cook. 

We're going to have to work on getting you a new saying. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @cazzy-I can only recall so much... :)>-
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Great looking cook...can't beat a good brisket
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Was it juicy? Looks a bit dry in the pics.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Stunning!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    @Grillmagic  It weighed 10 lbs; I cooked it between 225 and 250 although overnight that varied a bit, dropping down to about 195 until my Maverick woke me.  I pulled it around 190 degrees and thought it wasn't going to be tender because I probed it and it seemed like there was a lot of resistance.  Can't explain why because the meat was tender.

Thanks for your reply, I have only done 3 briskets and I thought they were all fine but my wife shared it was her least favorite on the egg. We have 20/25 people coming over on August 16th and I suggested doing a packer and she said no (yes she did) She wants Pork Loin or Pork Tender Loin. Guess what we are having. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you will be having either loin or tenderloin. Let me know if I called it. ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Grillmagic‌ I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you will be having either loin or tenderloin. Let me know if I called it. ;)
    I'll let you know on the 17th I may need a new place to stay, I can do a packer, I can do a packer, I can do a packer, well that's what I'm shooting for. She said if I didn't want to do Pork do Hamburgers/Cheeseburgers, oh man 30 burgers on the XL is going to be a mess I use 80/20 and if the burger thing happens I will be doing 90/10, did I mention I want to do a 16/17 # packer and try burnt ends for the first time.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Grillmagic-Should you be so daring as to do the packer, then I would eliminate the burnt ends and just slice and serve the point.  It's the best part of the whole brisket undertaking IMO.  And whatever you do, I would stay away from burgers-too labor intensive.  FWIW-
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Options
    Did you pull it off and wrap it in foil at any point during the cooking process ?

I am guessing this was just a flat ?

Do you know what grade it was ?
  • Farbuck
    Options
    @TomRaz  I only wrapped it in foil when I FTCd it for about an hour at the end.  It was a packer; the angle of the photo doesn't really show the point and it was choice.

Newtown Square, PA
  • Farbuck
    Options
    @freddyj  It was moist-ish.   I think it photo'd looking drier than it actually was.  I think I posed it too long trying to take the picture.  I never was good with candids

Newtown Square, PA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Looks perfectly moist and delicious to me, @Farbuck‌ ! You got any leftovers? If so, brisket nachos will blow your mind. B-)
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Also brisket quesadillas.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Also brisket quesadillas.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Grillmagic-Should you be so daring as to do the packer, then I would eliminate the burnt ends and just slice and serve the point.  It's the best part of the whole brisket undertaking IMO.  And whatever you do, I would stay away from burgers-too labor intensive.  FWIW-
    The 3 I have done have all been Flats and everyone (but my wife) enjoyed them including me. I wanted to try some burnt ends because my wife will sit in the kitchen and when no one is watching pull all the world class crunchy stuff off what ever I cook and eat it, I have cooked 2 Pounds of Sam's Salmon you know the one with out the skin cut into serving size portions and have the tail be the best part (crunchy) almost jerky like and come back in the kitchen 5 minutes later and she will blame the dog for it's where about's, she loves the crunchy bark off of everything, I think I'll keep her, HEY who could argue with that!