Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire King Lump?

Options
Has anyone seen or used Fire King lump?  Purchased this 40lb bag at ChefSmart for $27.  I read that they had been bought out by Royal Oak 3 or 4 years ago and were no longer using this packaging but here it is.  Guessing it is the same as RO.  Reviews on the whiz site seem good enough but not sure if it is the same as 2006  when it was reviewed.                                                                       image
Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I don't know if it is listed in there, but you could try checking:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • EggSpinner
    EggSpinner Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks @Shiff.  There is a review on nakedwhiz.com from 06 but that was before they were bought out.  Guessing it will be the same as RO but was just curious if anyone here had any experience with it.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Fire King manufactured in Missouri by Struemph Charcoal Works up until October of 2010 when their three plants were purchased by Royal Oak.  The plant in Steelville was closed, the one in Belle is still up and running, not sure about the one in Licking.  It was pretty good charcoal back then, haven't seen it since the buyout though. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I purchased 2 bags from Hawgeyes BBQ Shop in Ankeny, Iowa a couple of years ago.  Used the first one on several low and slows and it was very mild, quick starting and seemed to last well.  I still have one bag left (it's on the bottom of a stack of RO.  I will be using it for future L&S cooks along with the three bags of old WGWW.  I bought mine before the buyout and the gal at Hawgeyes told me it is what their team was using for competition at that time.  At that time they were very successful on the BBQ circuit.  I cannot say about the newer versions but if they kept the help during the buyout I would think it to be at the least equal to RO and maybe a bit better.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    @Stlcharcoal.  Thanks for the input. Love rockwood btw.  Looking forward to Ace in my area carrying it.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• EggSpinner
    Options
    @bettysnephew Thanks for the input, nice to hear of the quality at one point
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @Stlcharcoal.  Thanks for the input. Love rockwood btw.  Looking forward to Ace in my area carrying it.

Thanks!

Winston-Salem would probably be too NE, but ask around--you might be able to find a store that is stocked by the Gainesville, GA warehouse.  Otherwise, the nearest dealer is going to be The Grill Doctor in Mooresville (north of Charlotte.)

• EggSpinner
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Thanks for the tip.  Couple of them here, will ask around
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC