Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What? Me screw up?

A thread was started a while time ago asking folks to chime in with the best and/or most recent fail. Alcohol was normally involved. Some of these fails were absolutely hilarious so I thought it was time to start a new thread on the same theme.

My most recent was a dinner SWMBO and I were hosting. Close friends attending. Rumaki was on the Egg and pitchers of home made Margaritas were on tap (none of this nasty mixer stuff). Well, after the first pitcher was drained, one friend asks, "so any apps before the main course." I open the Egg and my Rumaki were burnt sugar and bacon-coated golf balls because I lost track of time. No pics and I held my head in shame. Second pitcher healed the wounds until the main course..

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    My biggest fail was burnt pizza crust.  Got to gabbing with our guests and the pizza stone got way too hot.  Tried to cool it down unsuccessfully.  Pizza burned within 3 minutes or so. Finally cranked out some halfway decent ones later on after everyone was half starved.  Quite embarrassing to say the least.

Living Large and XL

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Mickey said:
    Adult beverage and a nap was involved. Wings Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    They are almost ready...say another 5 minutes or so.

Living Large and XL

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    That's a classic, @Mickey.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @Mickey. My wife likes her chicken crispy, but that might be a little overdone even for her! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Mickey said:
    Adult beverage and a nap was involved. Wings Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Were they still moist inside ? =))

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Mickey seems to win this type of thread every single time.  :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Nothing to say But WOW
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Recently made bacon-wrapped tater tots for the kids- one of their favorite treats... Decided to cook the rest of the bacon immediately after dinner.

Forgot that I had removed my pizza stone/ plate setter and went from indirect to direct.... Needless to say the bacon was completely obliterated in less than 3 minutes. SWMBO was getting excited for good bacon for BLT's.... Walk of shame into the house with completely destroyed plate of burnt bacon nubs.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    No pics of my worst fail, but you can imagine...

I use a wooden peel to put a pizza on my Egg, and a metal peel to remove it.  Normally I bring my cutting board outside along with the metal peel, and slide the pie onto it before bringing it in.  One time I forgot the wood cutting board, and I carefully carried the pie into my kitchen on the metal peel.

Not carefully enough.  I'm clumsy (I AM called Botch) and just a slight bump on the door frame sent the pie to the porch floor (I really need to sweep more often) and, according to Murphy's Law, Jelly Sammich Corrolary, toppings-side down.  

That's highly disappointing.   
    :((

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Cymbaline65

Great stories everyone! I'm about to go into crazy mode tomorrow with apps, burgers, sides+my daughter's birthday party. Gaggle of teens to descent upon the casa...I may have another story to add.

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Cedar planked mashed potatoes.  Didn't realize putting them in the fridge for 24 hours was required for the starches to set and the potatoes to maintain their shape on on the plank, combined with a slightly tilted egg, and about half of the 4 pounds of the potatoes ended up on the charcoal. 

The rest were damn good though, and the egg got a nice clean burn that night.
    Pentwater, MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Mickey. It's not a nap. ..it's called passing out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cymbaline65
    Did beef and turkey burgers for 20 last night. Forgot the sautéed mushrooms and bacon that I prepared earlier in the day. Found both in the microwave this morning. Margaritas were involved.
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    My best/worst fail was in placing the EGG into my brand new table that I had built.  I was pleased with the way that the table had turned out, and I was excited to see how the EGG looked in its new throne.

I called for my husky oldest son to help me pick up the EGG and place it in the hole...  And in my haste and lack of planning, I failed to consider disassembling the BGE.  It's an XL.  I'm guessing somewhere around 200 pounds?

We got the thing up onto the edge of the table and rested it there.  Then we slid it over and carefully lowered it into the hole.  We lowered it into the hole with both our arms jammed between the table's hole and the EGG!

Uhhhh...  This was an uncomfortable and embarrassing turn of events.  So, there we stand, trying to figure things out.  Nothing to do except muscle it out.  I reached deep and tilted the EGG (unfortunately, further compressing my son's arms), enough to pull my arms out, and then tilting it back the other way to release his arms.  We both ended up with bruised arms, and I had a bruised ego.

Next time I have to place the EGG in its table, I will definitely disassemble it completely to reduce as much weight from the base as possible!
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I think that my worst fail was on an indoor cook.  The fail actually occurred before the oven was turned on when I had the brilliant idea to buy a leg of lamb that the store had on clearance.  I hardly ever cook lamb, so this was a new experience for me.  I brought it home and opened it up and noticed a slight funk to the meat.  Without having a lot of experience with lamb, I figured that it was just a little bit of the "gamey" smell that you sometimes hear about.  I put it in the oven and as it cooked and the fat started to render/burn, the funk was magnified times about a hundred.  It went directly from the oven out to the trash with me holding my breath the whole way.  We cleared out of the house to eat dinner at a restaurant.  This wasn't so much because we didn't have anything else to eat but more because the smell was unbearable.  It took several days for it to completely clear out.

I tend not to buy discounted meat much any more.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI