Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Renouned Mr. Brown

Options
MGBBob80
MGBBob80 Posts: 20
One of my favorite ways to do a shoulder.  Recipe's easily obtainable on the internet, so won't go into that here.  Rubbed the beast and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.  Fired the LGBE up early in the AM using BGE lump with a couple of good sized chunks of hickory, stabilized at 220 at the grill and let her go.  Smoked the shoulder for 15 hours indirect, then wrapped in tinfoil and let sit overnight in the LBGE as it cooled.  Pulled the next AM - WOWSER!
Until next time- Cheers, Bob
I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Woof! That is some serious Bark.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Tried and true recipe!  I've never actually made it but had it on several occasions from by friend's WSM.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Okay-since I didn't see any propriety markings, here's at least one reference for "The Renouned Mr. Brown":  Check out "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons.  You will find it leading off the pork section.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Smoke and Spice is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread

I didn't remember seeing leaving the wrapped shoulder overnight and then shredding the next day.  I will double check

However, when I've smoked shoulder in the recent past, I've learned that wrapping in foil, pouring on some drippings (which have melted fat and some sweet beer mixed in) and letting sit for a few hours (no more than 5, has yielded easy to shred, tender meat AND it would stay hot (temp wise) for this time too

• MGBBob80
    MGBBob80 Posts: 20
    Options
    I probably should have explained the "overnight" bit a little more.  Finished up real late and pulled real early before work.  Time was about 4 1/2 hours and pork was still nice and hot.

Smoke and Spice is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread

I didn't remember seeing leaving the wrapped shoulder overnight and then shredding the next day.  I will double check

However, when I've smoked shoulder in the recent past, I've learned that wrapping in foil, pouring on some drippings (which have melted fat and some sweet beer mixed in) and letting sit for a few hours (no more than 5, has yielded easy to shred, tender meat AND it would stay hot (temp wise) for this time too

I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    This was one of the first ways that I ever learned to cook pork shoulder, a very straight forward and reliable cook.  Can't go wrong with Smoke and Spice, fantastic book.

I did like you, I was up so late last night that my "foil towel cooler" (actually a Cambro) was actually my "overnight" too.  While everyone was still asleep, I fried up an egg and put in on top of a little bit of the fresh pulled pork with some hot sauce. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This